Mothering Forum banner

A good book on menstruation

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Unoppressed MAMA Q 
#1 ·
Can anyone recommend one?

#2 ·
I recently picked up a bunch of books from our library for my 11 year old daughter. We've always been really open about menstruation, but I figured she may want to read some books in case she had questions she was too embarrassed to ask, or some questions she hadn't thought about before. It has brought up some good mother-daughter discussions. We picked up:

The period book : everything you don't want to ask (but need to know) / by Karen Gravelle

The care & keeping of you : the body book for girls / by Valorie Lee Schaefer (not just about menstruation, but still my 11 year old appreciated the info)

Period : a girl's guide to menstruation, with a parent's guide / JoAnn Loulan, Bonnie Worthen

#3 ·
I just bought "The Care and Keeping of YOU" yesterday for my 9.5 yr old and she absolutely loves it. I would say it's target audience is on the young side, maybe 8/9-11, possibly 12. I think it might be a little young for anything over that. It's got really good info and cute illustrations., throughout the book, and an extensive section on periods and what to expect and how to use pads and tampons and what to do if you need to change at school, etc.

#6 ·
I was reading reviews of Cycle Savvy on Amazon and I think it's more for a teen who may already be or might in the nearer future become sexually active. IIRC, RubyWild's dd is about my dd1's age (9).

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ASusan View Post
What about Toni Weschler's Cycle Savvy? I haven't read it, but her TCOYF was great.
I've read it, and IMO, it would be more appropriate for someone who is more in the 14-16+ age range. DD is 11 and definately not wanting that level of info yet.

DD has loved "The Care & Keeping of You." We got that for her when she was just turned 9 and I don't think she has read it recently, but she still has it. In addition to that I also just picked up a few books at the library and she actually liked "The Period Book" out of all of them (short & to the point, more cartoony, I think it had all the info she wanted right *now*--- I assume she'll want more in a few years, kwim).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.