Need help with 16th birthday - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 10-21-2010, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I need help. My son is turning 16 in a few weeks. He and I have been trying to come up with ideas, but have nothing. He is new to the school and because he has a fall birthday, his friends are either still 15 or he has not known people turning 16. Regardless, he would like to do something or have a party of sorts. I never have had a party. I am a bit nervous about a teen party as we are conservative people and I know some parents around us let their teens drink and such so I would hate to have a party and have the teens show up expecting that. I am open to a lot, even going out of town for the weekend. I am unsure what to do. Any suggestions? Thank you so much!! I want to make this so special for him. He is the person who made me mom! (as in, he is my first born and I became a mom when I had him)
#2 of 12 Old 10-21-2010, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My thoughts are if you want to have a party but want to control expectations, you may think about choosing a venue other than your home.

The first things that come to my mind are skating (either ice or roller), bowling or a movie. Many places like this are alcohol free. I guess it all depends on how much you are willing to spend, but I know a lot of places where I live have group rates for these things. I recently had a party for my DD (although she is four) at a local puppet theatre. It was great and everyone had a fabulous time. We brought the cake and there was no need to decorate or entertain - since the puppet troupe provided all that. For teens, age appropriate activities such as skating or bowling (for a short time period like two or three hours) will help them focus on the activity rather than the expectation of other "entertainment."

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
#3 of 12 Old 10-21-2010, 02:39 PM

IME, laser tag is a huge hit with the teens, if you have a laser tag venue close by.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#4 of 12 Old 10-21-2010, 02:44 PM

I second lazer tag! Indoor pool party is another idea. (about $100 to rent the whole room usually)
Check out local events. Might find great ideas there too.
#5 of 12 Old 10-21-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
IME, laser tag is a huge hit with the teens, if you have a laser tag venue close by.
Quote:
I second lazer tag!
Uh oh, I'm way out of the loop! What is laser tag? Sounds very Star War-y to me. Okay, I'm old.

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
#6 of 12 Old 10-21-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsCradle View Post
Uh oh, I'm way out of the loop! What is laser tag? Sounds very Star War-y to me. Okay, I'm old.
It's a game thats basically a bunch of kids running around shooting at each other - I took my dorm to this in College and it was AWESOME.

Definitely check this out OP - it would be totally worth it!
#7 of 12 Old 10-21-2010, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
He loves Laser Tag! I will suggest that to him. Plus, the Laser Tag place is literally a block from his school so I know there should be no issues with distance to it.
#8 of 12 Old 10-22-2010, 12:53 AM

Paintball is also very popular at that age.
#9 of 12 Old 10-22-2010, 08:32 AM

My son recently turned 16, and he played laser tag with his friends & then had an all-night gaming session at home complete with pizza and lots of goodies.
#10 of 12 Old 10-22-2010, 09:00 AM

The bowling allies here have late Friday and Saturday night bowling with rock music, blacklights and lasers - it's call "psychedelic bowl" or something like that. The newest Brunswick center has this as well as laser tag and a bunch of video games. They have good food too. You can get a party package with access to all of the activities and food. Maybe there is a bowling center like this in your area ?

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#11 of 12 Old 10-22-2010, 09:30 AM

I have to say that MOST of the guys I know have celebrated their birthdays with a bunch of their guy friends, at home, overnight. Depending on the time of year and the kid, they sleep indoors or out, play video games and/or manhunt, eat, etc. Lasertag/paintball is pretty much it in terms of "site" parties.

MY son is the guy with almost exclusively female friends, so it didn't work that way with him. His 16th, I got my daughter and a bunch of his (girl) friends plan a surprise party here at home for him. 17th, they hung out at a local pizza place. 18th? I treated him and a handful (including his one, really good, guy friend) to dinner out at a nicer restaurant. 19th, he'll be at school, so I'm guessing he'll do something himself. But I plan to send him a nice care package.
#12 of 12 Old 10-22-2010, 03:08 PM

DS1 is 18 in March, and never had his 17th birthday party. We took him out for dinner as a family (ribs - blech), then he was going to figure out what he wanted to do...and never did.

His last few parties have been pretty mellow...just hanging with his buddies, really. He did do Laser Tag for his...16th, I think. Then, he and his buddies came back for cake (I make him this giant guitar cake every year), and went their separate ways, except for two who spent the night.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page