Trick or Treating Question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 10-30-2010, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 11 year old DS wants to go trick or treating tomorrow with his friends, but doesn't want to wear a costume because he thinks they're embarrassing on him. Lots of older kids in our neighborhood go T or T, many without costumes. But I'm having a hard time with DS going without one... it seems kind of rude to me not to wear a costume and ask for candy.
Am I overreacting?

autismribbon.gif

#2 of 29 Old 10-30-2010, 05:25 PM

No, you're not. I don't care how old a kid is when they come to my door on Halloween - but I expect that they've made an effort at a costume. If they can't be bothered to do so? They can walk away without a treat.
#3 of 29 Old 10-30-2010, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would give a kid who wasn't wearing a costume candy, but it does seem rude to me and I would expect a child of mine who was trick-or-treating to wear a costume. If they think they're too old to wear a costume, then they're really too old to trick or treat, though I don't think 11 is too old for either.
#4 of 29 Old 10-30-2010, 05:28 PM

Agreed. That's the deal for trick or treating. Costume = treat.

Although I won't say "no candy," I will ask the child what they are/what their costume is if they don't appear to be in costume.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#5 of 29 Old 10-30-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazee View Post
I would give a kid who wasn't wearing a costume candy, but it does seem rude to me and I would expect a child of mine who was trick-or-treating to wear a costume. If they think they're too old to wear a costume, then they're really too old to trick or treat, though I don't think 11 is too old for either.
I agree. If it's too embarrassing to wear a costume, then it's too embarrassing to go beg candy from others
#6 of 29 Old 10-30-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post
Although I won't say "no candy," I will ask the child what they are/what their costume is if they don't appear to be in costume.
I ask them as well. If they can't come up with some plausible answer? I tell them to come back when they have a costume.
#7 of 29 Old 10-30-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtiger View Post
I ask them as well. If they can't come up with some plausible answer? I tell them to come back when they have a costume.
We always say that we're going to have that policy every year and always chicken out!

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#8 of 29 Old 10-30-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
I agree. If it's too embarrassing to wear a costume, then it's too embarrassing to go beg candy from others
I agree! I don't give out candy because we're out with our kids, but when I'm older, no way will I give candy to kids who won't put on a costume. Blah. I ToTed into my teens and always wore a costume.
#9 of 29 Old 10-30-2010, 05:49 PM

Another no costume= no trick or treating.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#10 of 29 Old 10-30-2010, 05:56 PM

I always give out candy, mostly because my mom never let me have candy as a kid. lol! I never know the child's circumstances.

My 15 yo and 13 yo are young enough to want the fun of walking the neighborhood, but yeah, their peers would totally make fun of them for dressing up unless the costume was horribly gory or sexy. So we compromise...they can walk around with our party, if someone offers candy they take it, but I always buy candy for them to have with no strings attached.

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

#11 of 29 Old 10-30-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimomma View Post
I never know the child's circumstances.
Like... what?

Quote:
My 15 yo and 13 yo are young enough to want the fun of walking the neighborhood, but yeah, their peers would totally make fun of them for dressing up unless the costume was horribly gory or sexy. So we compromise...they can walk around with our party, if someone offers candy they take it, but I always buy candy for them to have with no strings attached.
I don't know where you live, but that is not the case here. When kids make an effort to be creative, no one makes fun of them. Of course... if they throw on a baseball cap and claim to be a sports fan.... yeah - they'll be called on it.
#12 of 29 Old 10-30-2010, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the replies!

So, DS and I have come to a compromise. We went to a Halloween store this afternoon and found a mask that he likes and will wear to ToT. I agreed that he doesn't have to wear a full costume, but he must make an effort if he still wants to go. Plus, it's a pretty cool mask.

autismribbon.gif

#13 of 29 Old 10-30-2010, 07:07 PM

Oh, circumstances like they're poor and can't afford a costume, much less ruining clothes they own to create a costume. Or that their parents don't support them and tell them to make their own without offering help. Or that they have a mental disability. Or a million other things that I could possibly never sleuth out because it never occurred to me. Kids are just kids, and to judge them from an adult perspective seems unreal to me.

And really? You've never heard of teenagers ragging on each other for their costumes? They rag on each other for just about everything...so when I say no blood or gore in the house because it scares your little sister, yeah, my poor teen got it. Not bad from his friends, but from other kids in the neighborhood. When my daughter wore a witch costume, some other younger girls razzed her because it looked like 'an old lady' witch, rather than the short sexy witch that they had on. We're wandering the neighborhood with probably two hundred other children...it's not surprising to get a little jazz from people.

Of course, I also have children with disabilities, so I'm a little easy going, we even have adults who go around without costumes. Anyone else could judge them, but I recognize them from the ABLE office, and it's not a big deal to give them a snack sized snickers that cost eight cents.

#14 of 29 Old 10-30-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IxIa View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies!

So, DS and I have come to a compromise. We went to a Halloween store this afternoon and found a mask that he likes and will wear to ToT. I agreed that he doesn't have to wear a full costume, but he must make an effort if he still wants to go. Plus, it's a pretty cool mask.
Sounds good! I'm glad you both came out happy with the compromise!

#15 of 29 Old 10-30-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Oh, circumstances like they're poor and can't afford a costume, much less ruining clothes they own to create a costume. Or that their parents don't support them and tell them to make their own without offering help. Or that they have a mental disability. Or a million other things that I could possibly never sleuth out because it never occurred to me. Kids are just kids, and to judge them from an adult perspective seems unreal to me.

And really? You've never heard of teenagers ragging on each other for their costumes? They rag on each other for just about everything...so when I say no blood or gore in the house because it scares your little sister, yeah, my poor teen got it. Not bad from his friends, but from other kids in the neighborhood. When my daughter wore a witch costume, some other younger girls razzed her because it looked like 'an old lady' witch, rather than the short sexy witch that they had on. We're wandering the neighborhood with probably two hundred other children...it's not surprising to get a little jazz from people.

Of course, I also have children with disabilities, so I'm a little easy going, we even have adults who go around without costumes. Anyone else could judge them, but I recognize them from the ABLE office, and it's not a big deal to give them a snack sized snickers that cost eight cents.
ITA. I even gave candy - what I had in the cupboard - when a gruop of girls came trick or treating to my door in England, where in those days nobody even did Halloween. They had no costumes, but I teased them a little, but made it clear I was joking as I rummaged in the cupboard to get them a treat.

Kids are kids, and if we can't be easy on them one night a year and just hand them a candy bar, what are we coming to?

The way I see it, we are role modeling tolerance and kindness, not to mention graciousness. There are enough rules in kids' lives, without making ones about one night a year that is supposed to be fun.
#16 of 29 Old 10-30-2010, 08:19 PM

I get your points, Multimomma.

We had one (that I saw - DH did most of the handing out while I was walking DS around) without a visible costume. He was about 8 or 9 and his friends/sibs had costumes. I asked him what he was, and he said, "ghost." Who am I to argue that a ghost could look like a 9-yr-old boy in a stripped turtle neck? I raised an eyebrow and gave him candy.

I saw several groups of teens, and some teens with younger sibs. Nothing too sexy, I'm glad to say.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#17 of 29 Old 10-30-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngfrankenstein View Post
We always say that we're going to have that policy every year and always chicken out!
Me too. I think I'm afraid of retaliation.
#18 of 29 Old 10-30-2010, 09:19 PM

Seriously? Borrowing one of Dad's yardwork shirts, burning a cork and using it to make "stubble" and saying you're a bum (remember - like we used to do way back when?) is something most any kid could do. Costs nothing. No cork?? Take a stick and burn it, let it cool - voila! Charcoal.

And I usually give the kids I tell to come back some ideas... Put on all black, come and tell my you're a ninja. Or the night. Got a team shirt? Put it on and ask Mom if you can use some of her make-up to paint a team logo on your face. She says no? Okay..... Put on the team shirt, bring a baseball, football, whatever.... be a fan; or toss it up in the air, and maneuver around screaming "I got it, I got it!" and be whoever on the team. MAKE AN EFFORT!

All that is really required for a costume is a bit of imagination.
#19 of 29 Old 10-30-2010, 10:04 PM

it's too cold here in upstate ny (most halloweens) to see too many teen trick-or-treaters in anything too sexy but I do recall going to some halloween parties dressed, uh, less than appropriately for the weather when I was in college.

I haven't gotten a lot of trick-or-treaters at my door in NO costume, but I did get some pretty creative twists on regular old clothing... which I actually loved. One teen came here (with a group of younger kids) wearing all these signs pinned all over... one to her shirt, one to her hat, etc... each said something like "hat, $20" "shirt, $15" and then there was a sign pinned to her back saying "going trick or treating? priceless" or something like that. She was a mastercard commercial. Awesome! Takes so much more mental effort to come up with something like that than to just grab a costume off a rack, you know?

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#20 of 29 Old 10-31-2010, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
One teen came here (with a group of younger kids) wearing all these signs pinned all over... one to her shirt, one to her hat, etc... each said something like "hat, $20" "shirt, $15" and then there was a sign pinned to her back saying "going trick or treating? priceless" or something like that. She was a mastercard commercial. Awesome! Takes so much more mental effort to come up with something like that than to just grab a costume off a rack, you know?
I LOVE seeing costumes like that! I hope this is OK to link here, but I saw this a while ago and I keep thinking about how awesome this must have been!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/docpopular/4063790568/
#21 of 29 Old 10-31-2010, 01:44 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
No, you're not. I don't care how old a kid is when they come to my door on Halloween - but I expect that they've made an effort at a costume. If they can't be bothered to do so? They can walk away without a treat.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#22 of 29 Old 10-31-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreeblim View Post
I LOVE seeing costumes like that! I hope this is OK to link here, but I saw this a while ago and I keep thinking about how awesome this must have been!

LOVE it. I wish I could do something like that, but our TorT night was last night.

#23 of 29 Old 10-31-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreeblim View Post

THAT IS AWESOME!! Love it. LOVE.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#24 of 29 Old 10-31-2010, 06:01 PM

Yep, no costume no treat here And if my kids are too old to dress up, then they are welcome to hand out candy while I take a hot bath and read a book

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#25 of 29 Old 10-31-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
it's too cold here in upstate ny (most halloweens) to see too many teen trick-or-treaters in anything too sexy but I do recall going to some halloween parties dressed, uh, less than appropriately for the weather when I was in college.

I haven't gotten a lot of trick-or-treaters at my door in NO costume, but I did get some pretty creative twists on regular old clothing... which I actually loved. One teen came here (with a group of younger kids) wearing all these signs pinned all over... one to her shirt, one to her hat, etc... each said something like "hat, $20" "shirt, $15" and then there was a sign pinned to her back saying "going trick or treating? priceless" or something like that. She was a mastercard commercial. Awesome! Takes so much more mental effort to come up with something like that than to just grab a costume off a rack, you know?
We were at a Halloween party for the kids on Friday, and I saw a kid who had a tree branch duct-taped to his baseball cap, so that the leaves fell sort of over his forehead. When I asked what he was, he took a deep breath and blew, so that the leaves fluttered, and said he was a leaf blower. LOVED IT. Another girl had a baby doll taped to her backside, and told me she was a babysitter, and illustrated by sitting down-- on the doll, of course. That one had me a little doubtful, but you gotta give her credit for creativity.

That said- I don't quibble about costumes. I used to trick or treat as a teenager with no costume. I would give candy to any kid who came to the door, unless he was there for like his fifth or sixth time that same night. And if my kids were older, and wanted to go out without a costume-- whatever. What's the big deal? It's not worth the argument, to me. But I'm glad the OP found a compromise that she and her DS were comfortable with.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#26 of 29 Old 11-01-2010, 01:30 AM

I also think it's rude not to wear a costume. Even some attempt at a costume.

We get what we call "imports". (people from another neighborhood) who come in huge vans full of people. They never wear costumes, and even the adults carry a plastic grocery bag and ask for candy. It' slightly offensive.... although, there was a nice looking 40-ish year old man who came asking for candy. I didn't mind that so much.
#27 of 29 Old 11-01-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
My 15 yo and 13 yo are young enough to want the fun of walking the neighborhood, but yeah, their peers would totally make fun of them for dressing up unless the costume was horribly gory or sexy.
That's too bad. We had neighbor teens trick or treat here last night who were dressed like Frankenstein and a ghost. Not gory or sexy.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#28 of 29 Old 11-03-2010, 12:18 PM

I would not want to give out candy to kids to lazy to not dress up.Unfortunately the result of not giving candy might be an egged house or worse!

It sounds like some of the neighborhood kids need to move on from ToT.Suggest a party for tweens that do not want to dress up,but want to have fun.
#29 of 29 Old 11-03-2010, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
I so agree!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page