Crafts for 9 1/2 yr old girl - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-01-2010, 02:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd loves all things creative. I'd like to get her some crafty kits, etc. but everything I've tried so far has been a disappointment. Most of them have been boxed kits from Michael's, Walmart or Target.

What have you used that is actually good quality and something a 9 yr old could do/learn to do?

Sara: Separated Mom to , DD (9), , DS (5), DD (3), , & 4/5/10 + 2 & 1
#2 of 8 Old 11-01-2010, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Most 9 y.o.'s can manage a lot. By that age, my kids tried:
- knitting
- sewing, toymaking
- scrapbooking and journalling
- animation, claymation
- photography and video filming
- soap making
- paint and drawing

The Klutz kits with books seem to be pretty popular, as well as Alex kits. However, I've found that my crafty kids prefer supplies to boxed kits. DD in particular gets lots of kits as gifts. In recent years, she's received sewing, knitting, and soap making kits among others.

They don't seem to hold her attention in the same way as a project she's conceived and carries out herself. From time to time, I'll just take her to the store and load up on fresh supplies. A lot of the supplies she uses are recycled or inexpensive which is great too.

Some crafts she's enjoyed:

- making stuffed toys from unmatched socks and scraps of felt and fabrics and buttons
- stenciling t-shirts (DS likes to download pictures and cut his own stencil and then uses fabric paint for the stenciling)
- tie dye t-shirts (there are lots of kits for this, actually, but they pretty limited in the colours offered)
- scrapbooking (she often gives a photo/scrapbook as a gift for a friends' birthdays)

At 9, DD also loved watercolour painting and she did a few years of lessons around that age.

The Crafty Crow is a great site for ideas.
#3 of 8 Old 11-01-2010, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I feel like she needs a lot more direction on tasks. I guess I've had a hard time knowing what is an appropriate age to start some things like sewing and knitting. I wasn't taught those things until high school home ec class so I sometimes don't realize that she's old enough.
I bookmarked the website. It looks wonderful!

Sara: Separated Mom to , DD (9), , DS (5), DD (3), , & 4/5/10 + 2 & 1
#4 of 8 Old 11-01-2010, 04:19 PM

friendship bracelets - the kind you make out of embroidery floss. There are some kits, I think.

I would think most anything from Klutz is going to be good - I stay away from the boxed type of things, in general, but we have found a few that were decent. There are some that are for scrapbooking, stencils, girlfriends-stuff, that are great at that age. My dd's are totally into anything crafty, and I save fabrics and things for them to invent things.

If she needs more direction, you could just get a BOOK, with ideas - and then supplies.

--janis

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#5 of 8 Old 11-01-2010, 07:04 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Makit-Bakit-Ma.../dp/B000GPCWSM This bake it set was fun! We bought these on several occasions, but she will need some supervision. You will want to do one too though. (we have found them at walmart)

I love the craft kits from Hearthsong. My dd is 18, and I still buy some from them.

http://www.hearthsong.com/Color-My-H...-Kit_p837.html

http://www.hearthsong.com/Crafts/Dep...004_D1202.html
#6 of 8 Old 11-01-2010, 07:06 PM

#7 of 8 Old 12-11-2010, 08:17 AM

Round knitting looms are way cool. My teen learned how to make hats and is cranking them out. There is good tutorials on youtube too. 

#8 of 8 Old 12-11-2010, 11:26 AM

What about enrolling her in lessons?  Something like knitting, sewing, pottery, etc classes?

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page