Pregnant 16 year old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-05-2010, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we found out a week ago and we are all still reeling from the news.

We will support her in whatever decisions she makes we are hoping we can get her into counseling.

Beyond that we are still kind of in shock. We don't have a lot of say in her day to day life because she lives with her Mom but we have a excellent relationship with her and want to do what we can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 11-05-2010, 05:20 PM

It's kind of sad, because of what she's potentially missing out on. So, we would all be a little heartbroken for our teenager. But, on the other hand, it's completely doable.

With the right support, this can be fine, good and even great!

Whatever she chooses, I am happy to see that she has your support.
#3 of 7 Old 11-05-2010, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It's so good to read that you're being supportive. I agree with nextcommercial that it is completely doable. I had my 10yo ds when I was 16 and have grown up to be a responsible adult.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#4 of 7 Old 11-05-2010, 10:18 PM

Yay for being supportive, and if she decides to keep the baby, feel free to celebrate the new life. 16 may be young, but unless she has other issues she has all the faculties to be a great mom.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#5 of 7 Old 11-05-2010, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I don't recommend teen parenthood to anyone, but I got pg with ds1 the week I turned 17, and I turned out to be a fantastic AP mama!

ETA: ds just turned 16 and he's a pretty great kid.

Bring back the old MDC
#6 of 7 Old 11-08-2010, 12:26 AM

I was 17 when I got pregnant with my now 10 year old daughter, 18 when I had her. Teen parenting is by no means an easy road, but looking at my sweet daughter, I don't regret a minute of it. I think biggest key is to just be supportive, and really listen to her. I'd be careful about choosing a counselor. Some will attempt to interject their own personal opinions into the situation, and whether meaning to or not, will attempt to sway the teen into choosing whatever they feel is right (some adoption counselors will do this in an attempt to presuade the girl to make an adoption plan). Whatever her choices are, I'd just do my best to make sure they are *her* choices, and not anyone else's. Ask her what her feelings are, validate them, and sympathize. It is certainly possible for teens to be excellent parents, and even more so when they have the support of their family.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#7 of 7 Old 11-08-2010, 12:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
Yay for being supportive, and if she decides to keep the baby, feel free to celebrate the new life. 16 may be young, but unless she has other issues she has all the faculties to be a great mom.
I agree. And I don't find it sad. I got pg with #1 at 16 and had her at 17 and it was the most amazing thing I've ever done. It wasn't easy, but being a parent never is. I easily finished school and got college financial aid. I certainly would hate anyone to feel bad for me.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page