Harry Potter premiere? Yes or no? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-20-2010, 12:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Dh and I went to the midnight showing.  We left after the kids were snoozing with grandma.  We took our 15yo nephew.  His parents said he could miss school on Friday.  I think it's a great memory for him.  He was over the top thrilled. Dh and I have been at 5 of out the 7 premieres.  When part 2 comes out, we'll likely see the midnight drive-in showing with our future 1 month old. :)

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2010, 03:06 PM

It's a little late, but we took our kids.  We've read the books as a family.  And although we're not HP fanatics, we thought it would be a fun adventure and something the kids could look back on fondly.  Our kids do attend school, but didn't have school on Friday.  So we took our kids to the midnight showing and had a great time.  My youngest (6yo) fell asleep during the movie, but the rest stayed away and enjoyed the movie.  We went with another family, and they kids entertained each other while we were waiting for the movie to start.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:29 AM

We have gone to the Twilight and other Harry Potter movies at midnight with my 8 year old.  We were going to do this one, too, but we have all been sick and really need to sleep more than we needed to be the first to see it.  We won't miss the next/last one!

Since we couldn't make it at midnight, we're all going to see it at the brand-new Fork and Screen tonight.  Seems like a good compromise, and everyone is excited!

Proud Anti-Adoption, Atheist, Reproductive-Freedom Fighter Mama
Rylie is 7, Ronin is 3.5
Old 11-26-2010, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

In New Zealand, at any rate, movies always come out on a Thursday - unless it's a sneak preview weekend (Fri-Sun) or a one-off arthouse film or something. It's just the way the distribution works - I used to work at the movies and we got used to a Thursday-to-Wednesday week in terms of rosters and movie schedules.

I didn't go to the midnight screening this year because I'm pregnant and exhausted. But I BEGGED my mother to let me see The Fellowship of the Ring at midnight, and it was awesome. Even though by the time she finally agreed, I had to settle for the 12:30AM session because the actual midnight screening was sold out. :p And even though she insisted on accompanying me (I was 13, I think)... and even though the first thing she said afterwards was "I didn't fancy that lady's hair", meaning Galadriel. But still! It was a fantastically awesome experience - the movie just blew me away, and I was surrounded by people who actually CARED and laughed in all the right places and got all the little Tolkieny in-jokes. Other than Mum, of course. :p I'll remember it forever, and I'm SO glad I went.

So obviously I have some sympathy for geekdom. And if my kidlings are ever so deeply invested in a movie that they can't WAIT to see it until the next day, well, they can go right ahead and grab a piece of that magic too. :) Assuming the movie isn't utter dross... I might have a hard time letting my kid go to, say, a Twilight movie. But that's a slightly different issue...

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

DD went with her friends and had a great time. She really liked the movie and has been arguing with her older brother, who saw it this weekend. He thinks it was a terrible film because "There should have been at least some brief exposition at the start to explain who these people were and what was happening, for anyone who has never seen a Harry Potter movie or read the books. It was just hours and hours of 3 angsty kids stuck in a tent!"  (DS has been studying film in high school and has ummm, shall we say, strong opinions). 

Since she was staying overnight at a friend's house after the midnight premiere, in the morning she took all her stuff to school, including costume (they dressed up after school for the movie).  On the bus, she was getting teased for carrying her wand - until one of the seniors (whom she didn't know - she's a "minor 9er" - in 9th grade), turned around, pulled out and waved his wand and said "Hey, me too!!". 

It sounds like the midnight premiere was a good party, DD and her friends had fun. They returned safely and she was a little tired the next day, but not really worse for wear. 

Old 11-28-2010, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Heck yes, I say. My kids are unschoolers and grown-ish, but I would have let them go and skip school the next day if that was what they wanted. :)

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    

User Tag List