Harry Potter premiere? Yes or no? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-14-2010, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I'm not sure what genius decided to open the new Harry Potter film at midnight on a THURSDAY...

Regardless, my husband and I - who normally never agree to ANYthing past 9:30 on a school night - are taking our kids (15,15 and 11).  Is anyone else?  And if you are, do you homeschool or do your kids attend "regular" school, like ours?

Here's my rationale, FWIW:  Although the HP series is arguably not as well-written as, say, Peter Pan or the works of Mark Twain, I do believe it will be an enduring children's classic, like The Wizard of Oz or the Chronicles of Narnia (UNlike so many other modern children's series...say, A Series of Unfortunate Events).  And our kids are the only generation who will ever experience the excitement of buying the latest HP book as a 1st-edition, at the midnight book-release party...as well as seeing the original movies, when they're first released.  We've read all the books to the kids, over the years, as a family - with British accents and funny voices.  The stories have been such a part of our family life - and of the kids' generation - that we're willing to let them have one crummy school morning, where they have a hard time getting up, and be among the first to see this (almost) last film.  We've told them they have to take naps after school on Thursday, to be ready.

But I still wish it opened on a Friday.

One woman in a house full of men:  my soul mate:    or... twin sons:(HS seniors) ... step-son:  (a sophomore) ... our little man:   (a first grader) ... and there is another female in the house, after all:  our
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2010, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I don't do premieres, and have no interest in the fuss and hoopla. However, I don't see any problem with going on a school night, for a rare family event. The whole family going to a premiere is a "special event" kind of thing, and I don't think that school the next day is relevant, yk?

DS1 is going to take me to see it sometime soon. He's going to treat me to the movie (for free - he works for the theatre chain), and I'm going to treat him to the popcorn and drink. It's nice to have an occasion we can use as a mom/son bonding time as he gets older (17.5) and more independent.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 11-14-2010, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)

We discussed and decided not to go on Thursday because we went to see it together as a family, and DH really can't go at midnight and then get up at 5 to go to work. He said he was fine with us going without him, but the kids really want to see it WITH him.

One of my kids can't handle crowds, so our plan is to see it at the first showing on Sunday morning. That way we still see it opening weekend but we figure that will be the mellowest showing of the weekend.

My kids attend school, but attend an alternative school and if they were tired on Friday or went it late it wouldn't be a big deal.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Old 11-14-2010, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Absolutely we are going! This series is very special to us. It's something DD (13) and I have really shared... going to midnight book sales, reading all day, talking  about the story, comparing the movies to the books, ect. Of course there are better written works but this was just plain fun to be part of. So, DD, DS (10) and myself are going at midnight to see it. We're going with a big group of friends and we are SO excited. I just know this will be something the kids remember. DH isn't going because of work and he just can't be a zombie at work. He'll see it with us when we go a second time that weekend most likely.

I will say, we loved the Series of Unfortunate Events too. Personally, I may have liked the books better, particularly the later ones. It never did get the hype Potter got but we did some book release parties there too.

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

14 y.o. DD has made plans to attend the midnight premiere with her best friend and a couple of others.  She'll then spend the night at her friend's house. They may take the bus to the cinema earlier in the evening, but there will be a ride home after courtesy of parents.

I debated with myself about this plan, but finally agreed. I trust her, I trust her friend, I figure a HP premiere isn't likely to attract problems since there will be lots of younger children and parents there. The only other issue is sleep deprivation, which will be cured with a good night's sleep on Friday. I gave her my blessing and my only regret is that I won't be seeing the show too. 

Old 11-15-2010, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsnextmom View Post

I will say, we loved the Series of Unfortunate Events too. Personally, I may have liked the books better, particularly the later ones. It never did get the hype Potter got but we did some book release parties there too.

That's interesting.  I read the entire Series of Unfortunate Events to our boys, too.  (They were certainly old enough to read them for themselves, but I didn't want to let go of that family reading time, between the HP releases!)  I was thrilled by his fun, unique writing style ("his" because Lemony Snicket = Mickey T. Nelson, I assume?....) and all the vocabulary words and the humorous references thrown in, for the adults.  But I felt the series built up to a big revelation that never really came (a la the X Files...).  The kids lost interest in it, toward the end.  Maybe they had the same sense I did, or maybe they just got too old.  I think the key to a successful children's book *series* (as opposed to The Wizard of Oz, where only the ONE book in the series has lasting popularity) is having a really satisfying ending.  IMO, J.K. Rowling pulled that off every bit as well as C.S. Lewis, in the Narnia series (and that's a real compliment!)  However, you felt the later books in A Series of Unfortunate Events were the *best* ones.  Isn't that great, about books?  That people can read the same ones and walk away with completely different impressions/ideas?  So, maybe yours will bear out instead of mine, and our kids will be reading Lemony Snicket books to their grandchildren, someday!

One woman in a house full of men:  my soul mate:    or... twin sons:(HS seniors) ... step-son:  (a sophomore) ... our little man:   (a first grader) ... and there is another female in the house, after all:  our
Old 11-15-2010, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The HP movies have always opened on Thursday night @ midnight, so this isn't anything new.

We've traditionally gone to the first showing after the midnight one on Friday (~11am?). I'd take off work, the kids would ditch school. We'd go to a nearly empty theater, then out to lunch after.

This year, my boy's in college, so going to see it with his friends. My daughter is going to see it at midnight with the girls, then they'll all crash at a friend's for a couple of hours, and they will all ride the bus to school from her house. She's said she'd like to see it again, with me and her b/f, probably on the weekend. :D

Old 11-15-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannine View Post

Quote:

That's interesting.  I read the entire Series of Unfortunate Events to our boys, too.  (They were certainly old enough to read them for themselves, but I didn't want to let go of that family reading time, between the HP releases!)  I was thrilled by his fun, unique writing style ("his" because Lemony Snicket = Mickey T. Nelson, I assume?....) and all the vocabulary words and the humorous references thrown in, for the adults.  But I felt the series built up to a big revelation that never really came (a la the X Files...).  The kids lost interest in it, toward the end.  Maybe they had the same sense I did, or maybe they just got too old.  I think the key to a successful children's book *series* (as opposed to The Wizard of Oz, where only the ONE book in the series has lasting popularity) is having a really satisfying ending.  IMO, J.K. Rowling pulled that off every bit as well as C.S. Lewis, in the Narnia series (and that's a real compliment!)  However, you felt the later books in A Series of Unfortunate Events were the *best* ones.  Isn't that great, about books?  That people can read the same ones and walk away with completely different impressions/ideas?  So, maybe yours will bear out instead of mine, and our kids will be reading Lemony Snicket books to their grandchildren, someday!

I'll give that the 13th book was a let down but what we loved was that graying for who is "good" and who is "bad" in the later books and having to really take a look at who these villians are and how even good people do villianous things when put in dire circumstances. Of course, that is what DD and myself like, character study and the later books certianly were that. Different series speak to different people. Personally, I didn't like the Narnia series but my DH and DS LOVE it and read them all together. I liked the first Oz book when I was a girl but my DD looked at me like I was crazy when she read it. I went back and read it and wasn't all that impressed as an adult. DD and I even read through the Twilight books but niether of us were impressed with those... we just felt we should as all her and my friends were going crazy over them lol. DD and I fell in love with the Molly Moon books but my DS never got into them. I suspect that DD will share Snicket with her children though I don't expect DS will. When it comes down to it, we all just remember "the good parts" of stories. Peter Pan is a lovely story but have you gone back and read it? It's a bit dry lol. Potter, well, the whole family loves Potter and a sleepless night is worth the memory I'm sure it'll make!

Old 11-15-2010, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:

I'll give that the 13th book was a let down but what we loved was that graying for who is "good" and who is "bad" in the later books and having to really take a look at who these villians are and how even good people do villianous things when put in dire circumstances. Of course, that is what DD and myself like, character study and the later books certianly were that. Different series speak to different people. Personally, I didn't like the Narnia series but my DH and DS LOVE it and read them all together. I liked the first Oz book when I was a girl but my DD looked at me like I was crazy when she read it. I went back and read it and wasn't all that impressed as an adult. DD and I even read through the Twilight books but niether of us were impressed with those... we just felt we should as all her and my friends were going crazy over them lol. DD and I fell in love with the Molly Moon books but my DS never got into them. I suspect that DD will share Snicket with her children though I don't expect DS will. When it comes down to it, we all just remember "the good parts" of stories. Peter Pan is a lovely story but have you gone back and read it? It's a bit dry lol. Potter, well, the whole family loves Potter and a sleepless night is worth the memory I'm sure it'll make!

Your DD may enjoy Wicked by Gregory Maguire, the book that inspired the musical. Even if she didn't enjoy the Wizard of Oz, she may like reading this version of the characters' back stories and the history before Dorothy arrived. It can be a bit tough to get into it in the beginning, but it's a great read. It certainly provides a new perspective on the Wicked Witch. Wide Sargasso Sea tells the story of Rochester's mad wife from Jane Eyre. Stories that provide new perspective are wonderful if they are carefully written.  

I completely agree that different series speak to different people. I didn't read A Wrinkle in Time until I was an adult and I thought it was ghastly boring and clumsily written. Yet it's a beloved classic, so I often suggest it because it clearly appeals to a lot of young girls. Those feelings endure into adulthood for a lot of women who remember it with great fondness. The charm is completely lost to me, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. 

Old 11-15-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtiger View Post

The HP movies have always opened on Thursday night @ midnight, so this isn't anything new.

We've traditionally gone to the first showing after the midnight one on Friday (~11am?). I'd take off work, the kids would ditch school. We'd go to a nearly empty theater, then out to lunch after.

This year, my boy's in college, so going to see it with his friends. My daughter is going to see it at midnight with the girls, then they'll all crash at a friend's for a couple of hours, and they will all ride the bus to school from her house. She's said she'd like to see it again, with me and her b/f, probably on the weekend. :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post

Quote:

Your DD may enjoy Wicked by Gregory Maguire, the book that inspired the musical. Even if she didn't enjoy the Wizard of Oz, she may like reading this version of the characters' back stories and the history before Dorothy arrived. It can be a bit tough to get into it in the beginning, but it's a great read. It certainly provides a new perspective on the Wicked Witch. Wide Sargasso Sea tells the story of Rochester's mad wife from Jane Eyre. Stories that provide new perspective are wonderful if they are carefully written.  

I completely agree that different series speak to different people. I didn't read A Wrinkle in Time until I was an adult and I thought it was ghastly boring and clumsily written. Yet it's a beloved classic, so I often suggest it because it clearly appeals to a lot of young girls. Those feelings endure into adulthood for a lot of women who remember it with great fondness. The charm is completely lost to me, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. 

We've read Wicked and enjoyed it tremendously. We saw the musical afterwards and were dissapointed with the watering down however, love some great songs. I likes a few of his books though DD hasn't picked them up yet. I'll have to look into the second book you reccommended. Haven'y heard of that one yet.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

We've read Wicked and enjoyed it tremendously. We saw the musical afterwards and were dissapointed with the watering down however, love some great songs. I likes a few of his books though DD hasn't picked them up yet. I'll have to look into the second book you reccommended. Haven'y heard of that one yet.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:47 AM

Back to your question, OP, I will be taking my 15 yo ds to the premiere.  We've done the same type of thing before and as long as he promises to be up and ready for school the next morning without a problem and has no tests the next day at school, I think the memories are definitely worth it. 

Old 11-15-2010, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Harry Potter premiere? YES! We're pretty lucky, there's a Girl Scout leader near here who coordinated a Thursday evening pre-screening event -Thursday at 7:30 pm, not Friday at 12:00am. broc1.gif

I'm taking 15 y.o. dd and 11 y.o. ds.  I'd really like to take dh but we can barely/can't really afford this as it is.

I did take dd to PoA and GoF midnight premieres.  We love being part of the event.  But I think I'm just getting too busy (and old) for midnight openings so I didn't bother making the midnight show for OotP. And then OotP was SUCH a disappointment we didn't bother to see HBP until the Sunday after it opened. 

But I think it'll be a blast to go with a huge crowd of enthusiastic Girl Scouts (and family and friends), and get home in time to get a good night's sleep.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

So, have all the movies opened in the summer, then?  I don't remember having faced this dilemma before, over HP.

Quote:

Peter Pan is a lovely story but have you gone back and read it? It's a bit dry lol. 

I never read PP, until I read it to my oldest kids.  I thought it was enchanting!  Like the scene where Wendy sews Peter's shadow back on, then he dances around, bragging, as though he'd done it himself.  "It is humiliating to have to confess that this conceit of Peter was one of his most fascinating qualities.  To put it with brutal frankness, there never was a cockier boy..."  Then, of course, Wendy pouts; Peter realizes it's not as much fun to crow about himself without an audience; he coaxes her back out with an insincere, self-deprecating compliment; and she's flattered and wants him to kiss her.  It's just such an adorable, realistic, silly, playful representation of kids play-acting at what they think adult life and relationships will be.  So is the whole book.  But it is very Victorian.  So, if you don't like that type of thing, then I'm sure it's pretty boring.  

Re ollyoxenfree's quote, below (I can't seem to type anything underneath it...)

When I was in college forever ago, they made a movie of Wide Sargasso Sea.  I want to say it starred Karina Lombard (who was also in Legends of the Fall).

Quote:

Wide Sargasso Sea tells the story of Rochester's mad wife from Jane Eyre.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

So, have all the movies opened in the summer, then?  I don't remember having faced this dilemma before, over HP.

Quote:

Peter Pan is a lovely story but have you gone back and read it? It's a bit dry lol. 

I never read PP, until I read it to my oldest kids.  I thought it was enchanting!  Like the scene where Wendy sews Peter's shadow back on, then he dances around, bragging, as though he'd done it himself.  "It is humiliating to have to confess that this conceit of Peter was one of his most fascinating qualities.  To put it with brutal frankness, there never was a cockier boy..."  Then, of course, Wendy pouts; Peter realizes it's not as much fun to crow about himself without an audience; he coaxes her back out with an insincere, self-deprecating compliment; and she's flattered and wants him to kiss her.  It's just such an adorable, realistic, silly, playful representation of kids play-acting at what they think adult life and relationships will be.  So is the whole book.  But it is very Victorian.  So, if you don't like that type of thing, then I'm sure it's pretty boring.  

Re ollyoxenfree's quote, below (I can't seem to type anything underneath it...)

When I was in college forever ago, they made a movie of Wide Sargasso Sea.  I want to say it starred Karina Lombard (who was also in Legends of the Fall).

Quote:

Wide Sargasso Sea tells the story of Rochester's mad wife from Jane Eyre.

I absolutely love Victorian and we read tons of classic literature.... just didn't love Peter Pan. The kids got into the Peter and the Starcatchers series though by a different author obviously.

Oh, and the last couple HP movies have been released in the summer but some of the earlier ones were in the fall. We didn't start taking the kids to midnight until the last two movies. The ones before we'd go to and it was less of a deal if they landed in Fall.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree on how well written it is. ;)  I would be taking my kids to the midnight show if I hadn't just given birth.  I took my oldest last time and honestly the only problem was all the annoying unsupervised teens there who talked and texted and yelled things out the entire time.  It got a little better as the movie went on.  Of course I didn't get to finish watching it as we ended up in the ER, but that's another story. :lol

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Old 11-16-2010, 02:29 PM

I see nothing wrong with a midnight showing for teens and tweens, though only if they could miss school the next day, I think.  We aren't going to try but that is mostly because I HATE crowds and all the hoopla that goes with the premier showing, plus my DD is too young to go and a midnight babysitter is hard to come by.  I think we're likely to wait until the day before Thanksgiving when DD can go to gymnastics camp for the day and DS, DH and I can go to the movie.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:16 PM

I'm not taking my child because he's 2 but I am sure as heck going!  I am part of the very first "generation Harry Potter" as I was 10 when the first book was released.   I have since voraciously read every book, attending the midnight book releases since their inception with Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (dressed in costume, I might add!)  I can't remember which movie the midnight movies started on but I know I haven't ever missed a midnight HP party for either a book or a movie :D

I was actually one of the very first in line for the Deathly Hallows book in 2007 and I cried hysterically as I purchased it.  Most of the people at the bookstore thought I was a bit batty I think but there were at least a few that understood.  This series was, in real-time, my adolescence and I think that I will always to some extent think of the characters as my friends and peers. 

Sorry for the geek-out ;)

p.s. I know I'm not the mother of a teenager or pre-teen but IMO it's far more important to be a part of something as special as an HP release party than it is to be perky at school.  After all, school happens every day but there are only going to be 2 more HP releases EVER.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:36 AM

I would not do the midnight thing only because I hate that sort of stuff. The movie looks good though. I could not wait to see it so I read the last book.Grandma might take the kids to see the movie later(I hate theaters),or they will have to wait till the dvd comes out.

Have fun!

Old 11-17-2010, 04:58 AM

I considered it for about a minute, but DS (9) would probably be too tired to really enjoy it at midnight. It will be our first HP movie in the theater so it will be special no matter when we go, which won't be this weekend as it comes out on the 24th here.

To all those who are going though, have fun! I would go if I thought it would add to DS's enjoyment.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Considering my kids have ditched school for each of the previous openings, no, they have not opened in summer.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Sorcerer's Stone premiered in the US Nov 16, 2001

Chamber of Secrets, Nov 15, 2002

Prisoner of Azkaban June 4, 2004

Goblet of Fire, Nov 18, 2005

Order of the Phoenix July 11, 2007

Half Blood Prince July 15 2009, which was I think within days of the premiere of the book Deathly Hallows.  And Jo's (and Harry's) birthday, July 31.  July 2009 was a very Harry month. 

Someone moved my effing cheese.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

StoriesintheSoil:

Thank you for your post.  That's JUST what I wanted to hear - and it's great to hear it from your perspective.  Enjoy the movie!  Just over 24 hours, now...

Journeymom:

That clears it up, then.  The year Goblet of Fire came out, our kids' school had a weird, longish break for Thanksgiving, so they were out of school. The only other ones where we've gone to the premieres were the ones that opened in the summer.  Even my oldest two were a bit young for HP when it first came out.  We started reading the series/watching the movies a little late in the game, then caught up.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:59 PM

I have to keep intentionally forgetting about the premiere, because I am way too excited for it to come out. If mine was old enough to enjoy it (or young enough to sleep through the whole thing) we'd be there (and suffer the consequences the next day). :)

Old 11-17-2010, 03:04 PM

My daughter is going with a group of friends.  I want to see it... just not at midnight on a Thursday.... well, midnight on any day doesn't appeal to me at all.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:00 PM

We're not going, but once DD is old enough I wouldn't hesitate about going to a few late things.  If they're doing well in school and can afford to miss a day I don't see the problem.  Special events like going to a midnight release of a movie or book are what create the memories they'll have at 40.

obstruct livery vehicles

Old 11-17-2010, 10:18 PM

I just printed out our tickets and I got such a thrill when I surprised my son with them.  I hadn't told him we were going so his expression was priceless!

I have to admit I'm not a huge fan so this is all for him.  I enjoyed the books but didn't fall in love.  My son has read and reread all of the books for years and listens to the CDs almost every night while going to sleep.

So excited to make these memories with him! 

Now the question is, what time do we go to the theater to get in line for good seats?

Old 11-19-2010, 01:54 PM

Both of my kids said it was *excellent*, but quite intense and likely not great for the under 12/13 set...

Old 11-19-2010, 02:37 PM

Yep, it was quite dark, as is to be expected from the book.

Old 11-20-2010, 12:12 AM

We (DP, DD11, DS9 & I) went and saw it at 4:25 today.  DD was really angry we we said she couldn't see it at midnight because "all" of her friends were going.  The other parents I talked to said their kids weren't going and today in school DD found out that no one had actually gone to the midnight showing--- she would probably be the first of her friends to see it anyway.  I found that funny.

User Tag List