My son is getting into trouble at school :( - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 12-07-2010, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm not quite sure what to do. He recently got into trouble for bullying mecry.gifand now he has gotten into trouble for saying inappropriate things. I thought that we had things resolved after the bullying incident and he understood that what he was doing was wrong. Now I get a letter home saying that he was saying not OK things at school. He really doesn't seem to have any ideas on how to make this not happen again. He gets that he shouldn't have said it and seemed disappointed in himself that this happened, but yet, he seems rather unfazed by the whole thing, where I am very, very sad. I have expressed this to him and then he storms off saying that he is an idiot and that I should just ground him for life. I don't really *do* grounding and usually try to talk it out. He just doesn't want to talk about it.

I really want my kids to be respectful children, but he is just so far from it right now. I know that his heart is good, but he is making some really bad choices. Any thoughts or ideas?

coffee-drinking caffix.gifsocial worker in HIV/AIDS ribbonred.giflady-loving ribbonrainbow.gifbike-riding bikenew.gifmom of two twins.gif
#2 of 2 Old 12-08-2010, 03:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is this a "one off" incident (he said something mean in the heat of an argument)? Or is this a persistent problem?

If it's a one-off incident, then I think that asking him to reflect and remember not to do such a thing again may be enough.

If this is a persistent problem, then I think he needs to learn some impulse control skills. Teaching him to count to ten, teaching him to write things down at home to vent, etc.

Maybe ask him what he thinks he could do to redress the people he has hurt with his words? Maybe write some letters of apology? Does he have any ideas?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page