Any advice for a teen getting his wisdom teeth pulled tomorrow a.m.? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 12-13-2010, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I asked on the Dental forum, but I'm guessing that one is just not visited too much!  My 17 yr old will have all four impacted wisdom teeth pulled under GA, and my 14 yr old will be getting two teeth out to reduce crowding.

Any advice on how to diminish pain and speed healing would be much appreciated!

-Dancianna

#2 of 21 Old 12-14-2010, 05:19 AM

Ice.  Lots of ice.  Make them keep the ice pack on for 20 minutes on each side.  Just keep switching sides all afternoon.  They will complain.  A lot.  I know I did.  But, I had minimal swelling and I healed relatively quickly.   Make them do it. 

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
#3 of 21 Old 12-14-2010, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter

This makes a lot of sense.  I think I may want to go out and purchase a second soft cold pack, so I can rotate them in and out of the freezer.  Thanks very much for the advice!

-Dancy

#4 of 21 Old 12-14-2010, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancianna View Post

This makes a lot of sense.  I think I may want to go out and purchase a second soft cold pack, so I can rotate them in and out of the freezer.  Thanks very much for the advice!

-Dancy

A small bag of frozen corn works really well - just label it as ice pack not food, then freeze and use and refreeze as needed.

I had mine out at 17 too.  I was really nauseated afterward.  greensad.gif  Hope your two do well!

#5 of 21 Old 12-14-2010, 05:36 AM

Cold Smoothies....without the seeds (like strawberries etc)

Lots of rest/sleep

#6 of 21 Old 12-14-2010, 07:34 AM
Dar

Take the drugs. Rest. Expect healing to take a while.

My daughter had all 4 wisdom teach removed when she was 14, and that was the one and only time she's actually taken all of the painkillers she was prescribed for a medical condition. She normally bounced back pretty quickly, from stuff like broken arms and sprained ankles, but this flattened her for a few days.

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#7 of 21 Old 12-14-2010, 07:41 AM

I worked in oral surgery for years and found it is important to remember that day 3 is usually when the most discomfort is felt. 

Be sure to rotate the pain meds with an anti-inflammatory of your choice (Traumeel/ibu/advil/etc). 

Ice is good.. off and on.  The office should give you an ice pack or two... just ask them.. they are cheap for them to buy and I am sure you are spending a pretty penny even with insurance!  Ask for extra gauze for bleeding, again cheap for them.

Be sure to REST!  The more your child is up and about... the more their heart is pumping thus creating throbbing in those areas even if they feel good. 

Smoothies with supplements are fantastic but try not to have berries with seeds so they don't get stuck in the sockets.

Stay away from straws... as to not create a dry socket (removes clot with suction) which will be more discomfort than the extractions themselves.  If a dry socket happens your DDS will apply clove to a gauze pad and insert it into the socket... 2 visits.. one to place and one to remove.  Will have a post op appt to remove sutures about a week out from surgery. 

It is hard to lay low.. but so important.  Give lots of love mama...  not a fun experience when the teeth are impacted... have to fracture bone to get in there!

'09   
#8 of 21 Old 12-14-2010, 08:09 AM

Mashed potatoes got me through when I had my wisdom teeth out. I'm sure that sounds odd, but most other 'smooth' foods are really light and I was just constantly starving, but unable to eat. Mashed potatoes were awesome. 

#9 of 21 Old 12-14-2010, 08:13 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)

Applesauce, too!  Re the meds:  DS1 was very uncomfortable with any narcotics, but said that the prescription level ibuprofen took care of things for him (he self-defines as having a low pain threshold).  Have company, books, movies, music available to help with the restlessness.  Good luck!

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), an underachieving Bernese Mountain Dog (2006-2014), and an overachieving mother (1930).  Married to DH since 1986.
#10 of 21 Old 12-14-2010, 08:19 AM
2xy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubliminalDarkness View Post

Mashed potatoes got me through when I had my wisdom teeth out. I'm sure that sounds odd, but most other 'smooth' foods are really light and I was just constantly starving, but unable to eat. Mashed potatoes were awesome. 

Mashed potatoes were good for me, too. Just skip the gravy. Salty food hurts like hell.

#11 of 21 Old 12-14-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:

I would also suggest mashed/pureed butternut squash and sweet potato for variety... if they like these, that is!

#12 of 21 Old 12-14-2010, 04:50 PM

I know this is late, and I hope it went well, but DON'T take any Rxed antibiotics until there's an actual indication of need.

#13 of 21 Old 12-15-2010, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioGardener View Post

A small bag of frozen corn works really well - just label it as ice pack not food, then freeze and use and refreeze as needed.

I had mine out at 17 too.  I was really nauseated afterward.  greensad.gif  Hope your two do well!

Thank you.  I like the idea of frozen corn.  The dr. said the nausea is much less common now because they include an anti-nausea med in the i.v.

They did pretty well.smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoS View Post

Cold Smoothies....without the seeds (like strawberries etc)

Lots of rest/sleep

I've got to do this - thank you for the idea!  And yes on the sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar View Post

Take the drugs. Rest. Expect healing to take a while.

My daughter had all 4 wisdom teach removed when she was 14, and that was the one and only time she's actually taken all of the painkillers she was prescribed for a medical condition. She normally bounced back pretty quickly, from stuff like broken arms and sprained ankles, but this flattened her for a few days.

DS 17 is still quite out of it and sore.  He has some things he really wants to do scheduled for tomorrow afternoon.  I hope it works!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xantho View Post

I worked in oral surgery for years and found it is important to remember that day 3 is usually when the most discomfort is felt. 

Be sure to rotate the pain meds with an anti-inflammatory of your choice (Traumeel/ibu/advil/etc). 

Ice is good.. off and on.  The office should give you an ice pack or two... just ask them.. they are cheap for them to buy and I am sure you are spending a pretty penny even with insurance!  Ask for extra gauze for bleeding, again cheap for them.

Be sure to REST!  The more your child is up and about... the more their heart is pumping thus creating throbbing in those areas even if they feel good. 

Smoothies with supplements are fantastic but try not to have berries with seeds so they don't get stuck in the sockets.

Stay away from straws... as to not create a dry socket (removes clot with suction) which will be more discomfort than the extractions themselves.  If a dry socket happens your DDS will apply clove to a gauze pad and insert it into the socket... 2 visits.. one to place and one to remove.  Will have a post op appt to remove sutures about a week out from surgery. 

It is hard to lay low.. but so important.  Give lots of love mama...  not a fun experience when the teeth are impacted... have to fracture bone to get in there!

Every one of these lines is a gem of good advice.  Thank you very much.  I read this last night and it really helped confirm what I'd learned and was doing. - I was exhausted from taking care of them and also from my own heart being sore seeing them hurting!  I hope day three is not too bad for him tomorrow...he's trying to lay really low today.

Quote:

I made mashed taters last night based on your idea and they were so appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMadly View Post

Applesauce, too!  Re the meds:  DS1 was very uncomfortable with any narcotics, but said that the prescription level ibuprofen took care of things for him (he self-defines as having a low pain threshold).  Have company, books, movies, music available to help with the restlessness.  Good luck!

Great advice - thank you so much.  Went out and got lots of movies, and a friend stopped by, which always helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xy View Post

Quote:

Mashed potatoes were good for me, too. Just skip the gravy. Salty food hurts like hell.

We put a lot of salt in our mashed potatos, but they went down o.k.  I let them know that they should try them before adding too much salt, based on your advice!  (Same with gravy.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebackpacks View Post

I would also suggest mashed/pureed butternut squash and sweet potato for variety... if they like these, that is!

Tonight I'm going to see if I can do the sweet potato.  Great idea for nutrition in this soft diet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post

I know this is late, and I hope it went well, but DON'T take any Rxed antibiotics until there's an actual indication of need.

Fortunately, I figured this out before filling the scrip.  The dr. even said there is no evidence that they help - what a waste.  I was glad to read this to confirm my decision - thanks.

#14 of 21 Old 12-16-2010, 07:28 AM

A little late for this. My advice is always "don't assume that because everyone else had a painful experience, you will too". When I got mine out, the worst side effect I had was feeling dizzy when I bent over for the rest of the day from the anesthetic they gave me.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#15 of 21 Old 12-16-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post

A little late for this. My advice is always "don't assume that because everyone else had a painful experience, you will too". When I got mine out, the worst side effect I had was feeling dizzy when I bent over for the rest of the day from the anesthetic they gave me.

I can second that!  My experience (prior to dental training) was really good... however, mine were not impacted! 

'09   
#16 of 21 Old 12-16-2010, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Quote:

I can second that!  My experience (prior to dental training) was really good... however, mine were not impacted! 

Thanks guys.  The older one is still having pain, but the younger one who just had two teeth out, already erupted teeth, and he's totally over it.

#17 of 21 Old 12-16-2010, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

homemade pudding, and oatmeal pudding are things I ate last time I had a tooth extracted.  I took arnica and advil.  Hope your ds feels better soon!

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#18 of 21 Old 12-16-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Mine were. It was worse when they were still in there.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#19 of 21 Old 12-16-2010, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weliveintheforest View Post

homemade pudding, and oatmeal pudding are things I ate last time I had a tooth extracted.  I took arnica and advil.  Hope your ds feels better soon!

Good ideas - with protein so he can get satisfied.  Thanks for the good wishes.

Mine were. It was worse when they were still in there.

Musician Dad, I'm glad that's over for you now!

#20 of 21 Old 01-15-2011, 02:52 PM
lab

Hey thanks for the post!  My ds17 is getting his teeth out soon so this thread is perfect timing.  

I think the worst part for my ds will be missing practice for a week to 10 days.  He runs ( a LOT!) and this is really going to be hard for him.   So will he really need 10 days off?

I love the ice suggestion.  And I'll have to mention to him the part about getting his blood pumping when he moves around - good point!

Trying to do the right thing with three kids and a hubby. 
ds20, dd18, ds16

#21 of 21 Old 01-16-2011, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

My guy did need the whole time - despite best efforts, he had dry socket and then got an infection because he did not go back to get his dressings changed over the Christmas weekend (they had early hours at the office to do this).  Some people don't need it, but I advise that he take it real easy for just a couple of days before he's up and at 'em.

-Dancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page