Simply...Shoes - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-14-2010, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have an 11 year old son.  He lives with his father, he told me the other day that he needs shoes.  Ok.  That's fine, but he wasn't specific.  I want to get them for Christmas.  I just have no clue what kind of shoes an 11 year old boy wants to wear.  Please if any other mother knows the type and brand of shoes this age groups finds "cool" let me know.  I want him to be happy about the shoes.  The funny thing is, I find my style pretty awesome, but he has made it clear to me, that he doesn't.  LOL  I need to get this right.

Thank you.  truedat.gif

#2 of 9 Old 12-14-2010, 11:36 AM

I have an 11 year old son too and there's no way I would get him shoes unless he specifically told me what kind AND had him there to try them on.  He has some very narrow feet and is starting to be a little particular about what he wears. 

The sea monkey has my money.

#3 of 9 Old 12-14-2010, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Sometimes it's regional but I know in our area, vans and converse are always safe bets.... especially the converse (and not the target "one star" line lol.) It's usually better to go plain, simple colors than a design. My kids like the designs but they NEVER like the ones I pick out! A good pair of black converse should be well received but certainly keep those gift receipts!

I should add, we live in a temperate climate where canvas shoes work most the year. If you live in snow and rain, not so sure.

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
#4 of 9 Old 12-14-2010, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

My boy had never shown any interest in what he wore, but when I visited him last weekend, he actually asked to TRY ON JEANS!!  What is going on here?  LOL  He also found two pairs that he liked.  He must be starting to feel the pressures of dressing like the other kids here lately and not what mom picks out.  I think he wears his pants too big, too.  We argued about this, but he won.  I think I will get a simple pair, and definitely keep the receipt, because I have a feeling...I'm not going to get this right.  :)  

#5 of 9 Old 12-15-2010, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Have him brows through Zappos so he can find a couple pair he likes, and have him email you the links. So you can see exactly what he wants. 

Ugh. My son is 11 year old and he's graduated to adult/mens sizes.  And rarely are mens shoes available that small.  And of course they're more expensive than kids shoes. eyesroll.gif

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#6 of 9 Old 12-15-2010, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for that idea...why didn't I think of that??  LOL

Actually my son where's an 8  in men's.  I can't wait to see the shoes he picks.  thumb.gif

#7 of 9 Old 12-19-2010, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post

Have him brows through Zappos so he can find a couple pair he likes, and have him email you the links. So you can see exactly what he wants. 

Ugh. My son is 11 year old and he's graduated to adult/mens sizes.  And rarely are mens shoes available that small.  And of course they're more expensive than kids shoes. eyesroll.gif

This is a great idea!thumb.gif

I was going to suggest getting him a gift certificate for a shoe store local to his area but this is waaay better.

Loved wife to JT and grateful mother to M (dd age 13) L (dd age 10) T (ds age 6) A (ds age 4) E (dd age 2) and C & S (twin boys born 10/13/10)
and yes, I blog. thumb.gif
#8 of 9 Old 12-19-2010, 12:07 PM

I'd get a gift card.  Not only is it the brand of shoes but the type. Does he want runners or does he want skater/board shoes? 

here dc are still the most popular for boys in that age group.

#9 of 9 Old 12-19-2010, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Actually, I just spent the weekend with him.  He pointed out a few to me, basically my son wants a pair of Nikes.  He wants them either all white or all black.  I'll get him what he wants, and then pick out a pair that the other kids are wearing....probably a pair of the DCs...I like those.  Thanks for the tips, ladies.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page