Sudden occasional bedwetting in 11 YO boy? - Mothering Forums

Sudden occasional bedwetting in 11 YO boy?

Evan&Anna's_Mom's Avatar Evan&Anna's_Mom (TS)
06:56 PM Liked: 430
#1 of 7
01-09-2011 | Posts: 4,388

So, my 11 YO DS suddenly seems to have started wetting the bed at night.  He hasn't done this for years, and even then it was a very occasional thing.  For the last couple of months its happened maybe 1 every week or 2.  So not a lot, but frequent enough to be a potential concern.  Has this happened to anyone else?  Maybe some sort of uneven growth spurt?  Sleep issue?  Reaction to stress?  He is pretty unhappy at school right now, no other big stressors.  Not sure if I should ignore it, schedule a medical exam or a psychologist appointment (he does have a psychologist he knows from some school issues last year).

Thoughts?  Advice?

MamasBoys's Avatar MamasBoys
01:42 PM Liked: 14
#2 of 7
01-12-2011 | Posts: 551

My 11 year old has done the same thing, but he only stopped wetting the bed regularly about a year ago.  I attribute it to something having to do with his growth.  It seems that bedwetting runs in our family and despite everything I have tried, nothing has helped, so I plan to give it time and see what happens. 

Callimom's Avatar Callimom
05:06 PM Liked: 52
#3 of 7
01-15-2011 | Posts: 2,914

I suggest talking with a doctor who may want to test him for diabetes. Is he showing any other physical/medical symptoms?

In anycase I would want to rule out medical issues.

Best wishes

Karen

McGucks's Avatar McGucks
08:15 AM Liked: 322
#4 of 7
02-19-2011 | Posts: 1,222

Um, is it possible that it is not urine?  Maybe he is having wet dreams or something like that?  I guess you would know the difference, but 11 years old it not too young for that kind of thing.  Good luck.  He must feel really bad about it. 

Evan&Anna's_Mom's Avatar Evan&Anna's_Mom (TS)
06:21 PM Liked: 430
#5 of 7
03-01-2011 | Posts: 4,388

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedenmomma View Post

Um, is it possible that it is not urine?  Maybe he is having wet dreams or something like that?  I guess you would know the difference, but 11 years old it not too young for that kind of thing.  Good luck.  He must feel really bad about it. 

Its definitely urine -- given the smell.  I thought about the possibility of wet dreams as well, but the smell is very clear.  Hasn't happened for the last few weeks though, so I'm tentatively chalking it up to stress.

betmina's Avatar betmina
09:05 PM Liked: 0
#6 of 7
03-01-2011 | Posts: 15

My 9 year old DSS has done this, not often but he does it from time to time. He says he's dreaming he's peeing and he thinks that hes in the bathroom and just goes. SO told me he used to be a bedwetter as well so no worries there.

Aeress's Avatar Aeress
01:44 PM Liked: 46
#7 of 7
03-09-2011 | Posts: 6,397

Not a boy, but when I was that age, I went through a bedwetting stage. I remember being in a very deep sleep and just not able to wake up in time. Maybe a growth spurt or hormones?

Reply Subscribe Preteens and Teens