Is this an appropriate gift for a 15 yr old girl? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-09-2011, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

A set of perfumes from Victoria's Secret:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0048NMQVG/ref=asc_df_B0048NMQVG1373239?smid=A2D9DW1BOG0UGN&tag=nextagusmp0369461-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B0048NMQVG 

The perfumes include Dream Angels Heavenly, Dream Angels Divine, Dream Angels Desire, Body By Victoria, Sexy Little Things, Very Sexy, Sexy Little Things Noir, Sexy Little Things, Love Rocks, Very Sexy Hot, Victoria's Secret Bombshell, Victoria's Secret Pink, and Rapture  .

Does it matter who gives it to her?

I witnessed this, and it bothered me (made my gut sort of turn), and I'm trying to figure out if my feelings are baseless or not.

Ann-Marita. I deleted my usual signature due to, oh, wait, if I say why, that might give too much away. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2011, 10:54 PM

My mom started buying me rapture when I was 13 or so because I wanted perfume and I liked the smell. I've had different relatives give me Vic Secret perfume through my teen years and I always liked it. I mean, if my gramps had given me a single perfume called sexy or something that might have struck me as odd, but in a big set, I wouldn't have been bothered. Vic secret has clothes and such, so I don't consider it just a lingerie store. 

Kara: on a journey with DH, Mama to DS 2/2010
Old 01-09-2011, 11:20 PM

I wouldn't buy it (I do not like perfume as I am sensitive to synthetic fragrances), but I don't see a problem with someone else giving it to a 15 yr old.  Maybe they knew the scents would be something she would enjoy?  Maybe she likes VS products?

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post

I wouldn't buy it (I do not like perfume as I am sensitive to synthetic fragrances), but I don't see a problem with someone else giving it to a 15 yr old.  Maybe they knew the scents would be something she would enjoy?  Maybe she likes VS products?

I agree.  There is a huge difference between a bottle of perfume and thong panties.  Just sayin'!

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
Old 01-10-2011, 07:47 AM

for a 15 year old? yes, although it's vaguely creepy if it were a related or unrelated older man giving it. boyfriend/girlfriend, mom, sister, etc, no, not at all. i do find some of the names kind of gross and would do a double-take if my daughter had it on her wishlist, but it's not inappropriate. 15 year olds are not little girls, they are definitely maturing into sexual beings and at that point, i don't really have a problem with them exploring that.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)

I think it depends on who it's from. Some of the names are just....

There are sooooo many other options for fragrance.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Old 01-10-2011, 08:43 AM

If she asked for it and/or already wears the fragrance then I don't think its weird, regardless of who gives it. I wore Loves Baby Soft and Tabu at that age.

If she didn't ask for it and it was given to her it by a friend or family member I would wonder why they chose VS perfume and think they picked it up the set at a Marshalls or something.  I don't see VS and think "perfume".

If it was given to her by an unrelated older man (teacher, coach, neighbor) I would question their judgement.

Pardon me while I puke.gif

Old 01-10-2011, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

It's just perfume. Yes, they have obnoxious names but in the end, it's a scent. If it were  "Chanel No. 5"  I suspect that would have been less uncomfortable for you. I agree with others that it depends on who was giving and like another said, it was in a set which makes it far less of a "romantic" gesture.

Personally, I liked perfume when I was a teen. I just don't remember ours being quite so blatantly named lol. Certainly, the names would keep ME from gifting them because I'd be embarrassed but it is just perfume.

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Wouldn't really bug me. The names are eye rolly, but in line with the theme of the store. My 15 year old was wearing underwear from VS.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
Old 01-10-2011, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

It was given by her father.  I've heard this man say "You look sexy" to his daughter, as a compliment, some years ago.  Sort of like "you look nice".  She was dressed in a plaid dress and matching sweater, not what I would call "sexy".

No, the girl doesn't usually wear VS perfume, or anything else from VS.

Ann-Marita. I deleted my usual signature due to, oh, wait, if I say why, that might give too much away. 

Old 01-10-2011, 06:24 PM

okay, dad's comment is kinda weird but that's today's world for you. The perfume is fine, but the names are definitely inappropriate..but again, we've normalized the abnormal in this culture!

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
Old 01-19-2011, 12:41 PM

The names are odd but....I don't find the gift off.  VS at least you know it isn't a total crap purchase. 

But I have bought oil paints and chalk with names that made me scratch.  My daughter loves hooker green.  Now that she is older she thinks it is funny.  There has been a few other colors that I have scratch my head about. 

Old 01-23-2011, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Its fine- for that family, not for mine.  Its not a gift I would give, if someone asked for that I would probably give a VS gift card, however I work with teens some days and there is a wide range of tastes out there.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Old 01-24-2011, 07:34 PM

I would have felt creeped out if my dad EVER gave me ANYTHING from Victoria Secret.  No, not appropriate IMO, and trust me I'm no prude.  Neither is my dh who just chimed in to say that even if Dad has no inappropriate intentions towards his little girl, wtf is he thinking?

caffix.gif

Old 01-26-2011, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Perfume from Dad, sure.  Kinda sweet.  But a set with names like that?  Creepy.  Especially if you visualize him walking into the store and buying it.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
Old 01-26-2011, 10:21 AM

I don't agree with out in the norm sex is for younger girls these days, but I also don't agree with TRYING to find the predator in every male. So I am trying to be middle of the road in my thinking.

That said, I doubt he even paid attention to what the names are. He probably walked in and saw "gift set" and that is was it, done. Probably did not even think of it as "Victoria's Secret the panty store" if he went in the separate entrance for the bath and body stuff.

User Tag List