HELP! 18 yr old just moved out and needs school advice - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-29-2011, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Long story short, my 18 yo dd has been living with her dad. Last night the you know what hit the fan and she left. She's not wanting to go back and I'm not sure he'd want her to come back.

I need to find some school options for her and I'm hoping for your advice and suggestions regarding options.

We are a hs family but just with the little ones and I'm not certain she's disciplined enough to get schooling done w/out a lot of involvement from me which is something I'm not certain I can give right now.

She wants to go to college, although, her SAT score wasn't very good.

Should I consider a charter school? or Magnet school? or maybe even just get her prepped and ready for the GED?

fwiw, I haven't asked her yet what she wants to do. I'm still processing all of this.

TIA ladies, any help is greatly appreciated.

#2 of 8 Old 01-29-2011, 09:48 AM

What about online?  She can finish faster, then take a few college classes through the community college.  My daughter is 18, and plans to go to cc.  I think she's going to be much happier in college than she is in high school.

She can get through the next year and a half, then get her act together.  18 is legally an adult, but usually we aren't mature enough yet to know what we want to do later in life.  

#3 of 8 Old 01-29-2011, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

So you're suggesting we take a stab at hs'ing her through the remainder of the year? I have considered hs'ing but hadn't considered online classes. Are you currently using an online curriculum?

#4 of 8 Old 01-29-2011, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

How many credits does she have and what does she need to graduate?  How far apart are you and her dad? Could she live with you (or a friend or whatever) and stay at her same school?

If she is living with you and it's too far to go to her old school, why not just finish at the local public school? It's just a couple of months.

If this is the second semester of her senior year, I don't see that you have time to mess bout with applying to a bunch of different schools and waiting for them to decide what to do. Keep it simple.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#5 of 8 Old 01-29-2011, 09:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)

http://www.fairtest.org/university/optional has compiled a listing of colleges and universities which don't require the SAT / ACT.

There are also early colleges such as Bard College at Simon's Rock in case she's just happier and better suited to moving on.

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), an underachieving Bernese Mountain Dog (2006-2014), and an overachieving mother (1930).  Married to DH since 1986.
#6 of 8 Old 02-01-2011, 02:20 AM

I would go the GED route if that is what is needed these days to get into a local 2 year college. Is there a tech school by you that teaches something basic? Even something as simple as being a nurse aide.It will give her immediate job options,and could lead to her getting into nursing via an LPN.Or she could learn to do blood draws,pharmacy tech,vet tech.

Many online charter public schools allow people to finish high school till age 21. I have a friend whose son has dragged out high school this way.Those schools are free.

#7 of 8 Old 02-01-2011, 03:15 AM

I would encourage her to take the ACT. She can take it as many times as needed, and she can choose her highest score to send to colleges. On the SAT, wrong answers count against you, and all scores must be submitted. The ACT may be a better choice. Also, she should take an ACT prep class. They are usually offered through the school system or county (average cost of $100). Some places like Sylvan offer them, but they're pricey. If she only likes the SAT, have her take it again (or until she scores well).

If she seems ready for college, she could take college classes without graduating high school. She can joint enroll, and have her college classes count toward her high school diploma. 

#8 of 8 Old 02-02-2011, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Things have been so crazy around here. I did convince dd to go back to her dad's to finish out the school year. She's in this really great culinary program that will give her a certificate upon completion and I feel that's probably her best bet for "making it" once she graduates and moves out, which is what I'm expecting will happen.

I have made a note of the suggestions you've all made. I greatly appreciate your input. DD and I have talked, at length, about everything mentioned here and more.

We're on the road to making her a little more prepared for moving out.

Thanks again ladies.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page