Fav books of raising teens (especially boys)? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-09-2011, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What are some books you have read and recommend on raising teenagers?  I would love to know, because I need all the help I can get.  Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2011, 05:58 PM

While not teen specific I really love this book and have seen the author speak on a number of occasions:

Raising Cain: Protecting the Emotional Life of Boys

This another book while not teen specific is great on raising boys:

Real Boys : Rescuing Our Sons from the Myths of Boyhood 

I also love this book and there is a version specific to teens:

How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk
How to Talk So Teens Will Listen and Listen So Teens Will Talk

I don't have a teen but have heard this book mentioned a number of times at school functions- can't validate the content tho, so you might want to research.....
Staying Connected To Your Teenager: How To Keep Them Talking To You And How To Hear What They're Really Saying

Pardon me while I puke.gif

Old 02-09-2011, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

I mostly read girl book like "Reviving Ophelia" because my eldest is a girl. I second "Raising Cain." I also liked "The Men they Will Become" but I can't remember the title. Both books said mostly the same thing.

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:11 PM

There's one called Wild at Heart (I think) that is really good. It's written by a Christian author, but it's about how boys need to be kind of wild sometimes and our culture has taken that away from them in many ways.

Another really good one is The 5 Love Languages for Teens. It's the same premise of the 5 love languages book, but geared toward adults.

If you're looking for more parenting-type books, then Parenting with Love and Logic is fantastic. It works for kids of any age, and it has a simple parenting method that is easy to put into place and stick with.

Jenni
Momma to my boy (1/99) & girl (7/00), Birthmomma to my Ladybug (8/09), the new baby monkey boy born 6/6/11!
Student nurse, doula, future midwife, and breastfeeding, bedsharing, babywearing, organic gardening, God-loving single momma

Old 02-13-2011, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much!  I will check those out.  I have read several books on raising boys in general, like the Wonder of Boys, and I believe the other one was Raising Cain.  I just feel like I need some extra information specific to teens now.  It's so much harder than I thought!

Old 02-15-2011, 08:07 AM

Hold On To Your Kids

Boys Adrift

Beyond Logic, Consequences and Control

Old 02-15-2011, 08:57 PM

I have a 13.5 year-old ds (and 10 year-old ds) and I was just coming to this forum to ask the same question!

I have two books on my nightstand on teens that I'm just starting to explore --

1)  Uncommon Sense for Parents with Teenagers by Michael Riera, PhD.  I ordered this from the Mothering website

2)  Between Form and Freedom -- Being a Teenager by Betty Staley - I found this book at Steiner Books

The first book is geared more towards high school students, and my ds just started middle school.  The author recommends "Forget heart-to-heart talks -- communicate indirectly; let your teenager brood; resist giving advice, even when your teenager asks for it; and embrace enstrangement".

The second book has an anthroposophical, Waldorf education bend to it, if you appreciate that.

Hope you find a book that speaks to you!

User Tag List