Captain Sassypants!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-15-2011, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 13.5 year-old ds has become a total Captain Sassypants!  I am losing my head over him.  He has to comment on e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g and has to get the last word in (like me!).  He has also become moody and I don't know what happened to my happy child. 

How do you cope with the changes that come with teenagehood (is that a word?)??

Does it get better??  Worse??

What is your best advice for navigating the waters of teenagehood??  Resources??

TIA!

#2 of 6 Old 02-16-2011, 08:16 AM

It gets worse before it gets better.   BREATH!!  Remember when he was 2 and challanging all the rules and your "authority"....he is doing it again.  Love him, let him beat you at computer games or basket ball.  Enjoy the good moments and remember the bad ones will pass.  

#3 of 6 Old 02-16-2011, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Worse?  Really?  Yikes!  Yes, it's good advice to enjoy the good moments!  I know when I carve out special time for him, we really enjoy each other's company.  Thanks for the advice, Mama.

#4 of 6 Old 02-16-2011, 09:50 PM

Some stuff I ignore

Some stuff I call them on: "Hey, that was rude" or "When you say that I feel...."

Some stuff, I say what my beloved step-dad used to say to me and my sibs: "Enough with the smaht remahks" (Complete w/  an over-the-top Massachusetts accent). This sometimes works as a humorous way to check behavior that is going close to crossing the line into rudeness.

Edited to add..

It was worst w/ DD when she was about 11-12. DS seems to be developing it now (will be 13  in 1 week).

I think  some of it has to do w/ growing up and puberty and that at that age they have a hard time separating out what is sarcastic, mean, rude, and contrary from what is clever, cogent, witty, and amusing.

#5 of 6 Old 02-17-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skreader View Post

I think  some of it has to do w/ growing up and puberty and that at that age they have a hard time separating out what is sarcastic, mean, rude, and contrary from what is clever, cogent, witty, and amusing.

Great point. I look back to my early teens and I know some of the stuff I thought was so clever was actually smartassery. And if someone called me on it, I got my feelings hurt, because I really didn't hear myself the way it sounded.

I see that a lot in my 13 y.o. now.

#6 of 6 Old 02-24-2011, 09:11 AM

As long as you don't call him "Captain Sassypants" to his face, I think you'll be fine. smile.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page