Highschool senior wants both "more boundaries" AND to "move out and be independent". - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-28-2011, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)

Quick background:  

I am a mother of a 9 year old and pregnant with DC#2.  My 18 year old sister (highschool senior) is going through a rough time and the family has decided to let her try to live with me from Monday-Friday.

My first question is this:  

My sister asked to live with me because she said she doesn't like to be home alone (her parents both work until about 6pm and she gets out of school some days as early as 1pm).  She also said she is craving more boundaries, which I can give because our life is pretty regimented these days.  We talked about this stuff for 2 weeks and she is due to move in tonight.  

Yesterday she was visiting and we were talking over the plan and her perspective seems to have changed a bit.  She is talking about getting a job that is not well suited for her current situation so that she can move out on her own.  She also hasn't even moved in yet and is starting to seem a bit irritated by the boundaries that she herself asked for.  

I realize a lot of this is very typical teenage stuff.  What would you do in this situation? 

I'd appreciate any input you have.  Thanks!!  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2011, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

nak...  

Perhaps a written contract or agreement so you both understand and agree on what will happen. Both of you should share your expectations to avoid stress and drama.

User Tag List