have you all had a "gift for a 10 year-old" thread lately? it's your lucky day! help!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-04-2011, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter
tzs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i need you help. i need your wise advice. this is serious. i don't know what to get my turning 10 year-old neice for her birthday. 

she's not a kid, so now i can't just shop for cool toys. she's not a teenager so i can't just give her a target card. she's a teenager trapped in a kid's body. you have one of those, don't you? 
i used to like doing something for her that involved quality time but to be honest, she's such a poop lately that i want to spend as little time with her as possible. i think the feeling is probably mutual. oh my gosh.....i think i asked the same question last year. 
what is your kid into these days? 
are there some super cute shoes that her mom would never get her?
i shop alot of hipster adult sites that have cute costume jewelry but it's still in the $25 range which seems too much for something she wouldn't be 100% into.
is there some tween fad aside from justin bieber that she might be into (we are religious jewish folks so we don't really do pop music or movies)?
is there something super cool that she wouldn't even know about that would rock her world? (we got her younger sis a paper jams guitar for her birthday and it was a mega hit....)
should i just get her some cute clothes? but her mom and i have totally different ideas of what looks nice.
they are not so much into "quality/natural/learning-type" stuff but i am, so i like to find a middle ground, although i would totally buy her something super plastic if that's what's going on in the tween world.
help! 

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2011, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

You can always give her a gift card, though I don't generally like to do that, they are useful.

I'd recommend some sort of craft kit. Things that the 10 year old girls I know seem to like are:

Friendship Bracelets

Bead Kits

Calligraphy

Nail Art

If she's not into arts/crafts, then I'd recommend sports equipment of some sort -- maybe a tennis racquet? Ask her parents what she likes to do.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
Old 03-05-2011, 01:55 AM

My dd will be 10 this year and she loves gift cards for shopping at H&M. I always go shopping with her to make sure she's not getting something in the wrong size, torn out hems, etc, but she's got pretty much free reign to decide what she wants.

Other than that she plays Nintendo DS and Wii so any new games for those consoles are appreciate  - but they're really pricey.

At the moment she's caught up in some Top Model drawing books craze in Germany. I don't know if there's something similar in the US. You could always just get a set of more sophisticated coloring pensils/pens.

Good luck and don't let her attitude get you down!

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

Old 03-06-2011, 07:17 AM

My DD will be 10 at the end of the month. She got a gift card to Justice for Girls for Xmas, & loved it. She also likes Claire's. She'd probably even like a gift card to Target or a book store.

L

ribboncesarean.gif   vbac.gif  My kids jammin.gif  

Old 03-08-2011, 12:03 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

My son is 10 but the girls his age tend to run all over the specturm for stuff.  Some are still stuck in little girl mode and others are acting like they are 17 so...

You can get her a gift card to a bookstore, tickets to the movies, gift cert for a manicure/pedicure, art supplies, little mismatched socks (they dont match- google it),  or just ask her mom what she would like.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Old 03-10-2011, 01:51 PM

I have a DD who is turning 10, and I think for $25 a gift card to Justice, Claire's, or itunes would be great.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:11 PM

dd turns 10 tomorrow. *WE* have an unusual gift for her that doesn't apply here, but I can tell you what she's gotten and loved so far. Her grandparent's gifts are the only ones that have come in so far. One gave her a $50 bill one gave her a $20. She went nuts. She bought a purse and a wallet to put in the purse and carries them around EVERYWHERE with her now. Cute shoes, hats, scarves, belts. Pants with rhinestones on them. This is all the rage with her and her friends. Craft kits are always good. Makeover kits are a HUGE hit. It doesn't have to include actual make up or polish. Like a facial kit, girly scented bath things. Those are great. And if she's going through the little poop stage like most, her parents may apreciate something that makes her seek out bath time without an attitude or fight. ;)

(for the curious, we recently discovered that dd is severely nearsighted. Her present was that we didn't give her a price limit on new glasses so she was able to get the way overpriced super cute designer ones she wanted. $300 out of pocket 2 weeks before her bday? we gave her a choice. something off the $50 frame shelf and a different present, or the expensive glasses ARE her present. She's very happy about her gift, but I don't think most 10yr old girls would be so excited to get glasses for their birthday. lol)

Affordable organics delivered from GREEN POLKADOT BOX

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Mama to guitar.gif Crash (14) and hippie.gifSpritely (12)

Old 03-12-2011, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter
tzs

Quote:
Originally Posted by incorrigible View Post

dd turns 10 tomorrow. *WE* have an unusual gift for her that doesn't apply here, but I can tell you what she's gotten and loved so far. Her grandparent's gifts are the only ones that have come in so far. One gave her a $50 bill one gave her a $20. She went nuts. She bought a purse and a wallet to put in the purse and carries them around EVERYWHERE with her now. Cute shoes, hats, scarves, belts. Pants with rhinestones on them. This is all the rage with her and her friends. Craft kits are always good. Makeover kits are a HUGE hit. It doesn't have to include actual make up or polish. Like a facial kit, girly scented bath things. Those are great. And if she's going through the little poop stage like most, her parents may apreciate something that makes her seek out bath time without an attitude or fight. ;)

(for the curious, we recently discovered that dd is severely nearsighted. Her present was that we didn't give her a price limit on new glasses so she was able to get the way overpriced super cute designer ones she wanted. $300 out of pocket 2 weeks before her bday? we gave her a choice. something off the $50 frame shelf and a different present, or the expensive glasses ARE her present. She's very happy about her gift, but I don't think most 10yr old girls would be so excited to get glasses for their birthday. lol)

that IS a good present! actually, according to SIL, said 10 year-old niece is getting her eyes checked because she says she can't see but theory is that she just wants cute glasses like her friends!

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
Old 03-13-2011, 12:50 AM

Hmpf, mine has been wearing glasses since she was 5 years old. She wants contact lenses now. bigeyes.gif I'm really wanting to wait on that one. Or maybe make offer it as a reward for personal hygiene improvement,

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

User Tag List