Bushy eyebrows on a kid... to take care of it or no? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What do you think of taking care of a child's bushy eyebrows?
Not a problem as long as you do it with as little pain for the kid as possible. It's part of normal body care/upkeep. 16 23.88%
It's okay when the child is above a certain age & they want to have their eyebrows done. (please comment with appropriate age) 17 25.37%
I'd leave it up to the child to decide & let them take care of their eyebrow(s) when they're older. I don't think I'd bring up the subject to the kid even if it did look like a crow crashed into their forehead. 31 46.27%
I would discourage my child from plucking/waxing/shaving their eyebrows. It's all vanity & I want my child to love who they are and how they look naturally. 2 2.99%
Plucking/waxing/shaving a child's eyebrows, even upon the child's request, is child abuse. 1 1.49%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 04-14-2011, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 04-14-2011, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

I'd wax it personally.... better to have the pain all at once but that is me. A uni-brow can be a major source of teasing and a super easy fix. I wouldn't bring it up with a kid that age but if they were sensitive to it and asking for help, I would. Some things we can't change and we just live with whatever grief it gives us. Eyebrows are not a big deal in my book.

guardandolaluna likes this.

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
#3 of 20 Old 04-14-2011, 12:30 PM

I voted a part of normal upkeep. When my hubby goes to the barber they do all that stuff-trim any stray hairs, etc. Since he asked I would have no problem with it.

#4 of 20 Old 04-14-2011, 12:33 PM

Waxing sounds good to me, too.  Much less painful than tweezing.  I'd bring it up with him and see if he wants to give it a try.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#5 of 20 Old 04-14-2011, 12:48 PM

I have the same issue with my oldest.  He is a fair skinned red head, but somehow got his father's super dark eyebrows that meet in the middle.  He chooses to wax occasionally and has since about 10.  It isn't a regular thing at all, just when someone starts to give him a bad time about it or when he has a new girlfriend to impress!

#6 of 20 Old 04-14-2011, 12:50 PM

I live on a block where most of the neighbors are Middle Eastern.  Some of them have their sons do  eyebrow plucking at the mall with some kind of floss like string.  There's a little Kiosk in the mall.

#7 of 20 Old 04-14-2011, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

#8 of 20 Old 04-14-2011, 05:38 PM

I think thay since your ds has brought it up himself, then you could go ahead and pluck or whatever method you choose. 

caffix.gif

#9 of 20 Old 04-24-2011, 12:45 PM

I think you can help him pluck or whatever, but I'd also expose him to the idea that choosing how to look should come from within, not from fears of other peoples opinions. I don't see shaped eyebrows as any different from shaped haircuts, if you are doing it for yourself it's great confidence building, if you are wearing a certain style because you are afraid to do anything else it's disempowering.
#10 of 20 Old 04-24-2011, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I wouldn't mention it myself but if my child asked I would be happy to help.  I would not recommend waxing a boy unless you're very skilled and can do it in a masculine style.  Eyebrows that look too neat or sculpted can be spotted from a mile away and on men it often looks like they only have half their drag on. 

#11 of 20 Old 04-25-2011, 05:08 PM

My ds plucks his own & has since he was about 11. He really didn't like the unibrow action he had going on & one day he came out having shaved it with a razor after his shower. bigeyes.gif That didn't work out well so he decided to pluck like me. I've offered to take him to get professional attention but he's not into that. I would never have suggested it myself but I think since he wanted it done it's fine.
#12 of 20 Old 04-26-2011, 02:46 PM

One of my sons was about that age when he asked me to wax his unibrow. We're fair haired so it's not terribly obvious. I think it's cute and was secretly admiring his brow fuzz today. I waxed it and he's never asked me to repeat - he's 12 now. I think it's fine so long as the child initiates. 

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#13 of 20 Old 05-22-2011, 12:18 PM

It kind of sounds like YOU think it is unattractive.  I would be very careful not to let that thought out -- I think it could be pretty hard on a kid to think their mom thinks they need to do something about their eyebrows.

That said, if he initiates it and wants to do something about it, I think it is fine for you to help him.  I'd just say, "sure" and not make a big deal about it either way.

#14 of 20 Old 05-23-2011, 08:08 AM

I would, of course, let him do what he wants with his body (probably barring some very permanent body modifications), but I wouldn't make suggestions about what would make it look "better" or insinuate that hair removal is somehow more hygienic or should necessarily be integrated into a wellness routine. My concern would be that it could make him self-conscious. I know that when my mom introduced me to makeup (she was really into showing me how concealer would take away the "bags under my eyes"), it hurt, and I still struggle with it a little bit.

Forest For The Trees  stillheart.gif  Radical Family Support Consulting for Growing Families (ask me!)
10+ Years in Professional Holistic Childcare and Support / Alternative Education / Unschooling my Friend, Z (4)

Future Community-Dwelling, Stay-at-Home, Sole-Parent by Choice!

#15 of 20 Old 05-23-2011, 08:16 AM

I'd let him pluck/wax/whatever his eye brows if that is what he wants.  I wouldn't suggest it or imply in any way that he should consider changing his eye brows by any degree, but I'd be supportive of his desire to change his own look.  Like PP, I see eye brow shaping as no different than hair styles.  There are places in the world where having a unibrow is considered a very good thing :)

#16 of 20 Old 11-13-2012, 09:06 AM

As a child I had thick eyebrows, when I got to 13, the mono- or uni-brow eyebrow's appeared on me.  I was under a bit of pressure to get them waxed or plucked, my mother gave me that choice, I decided just to leave them the way nature intended. I have never waxed or plucked them ever.   I have had 3 girlfriends (not at the same time) none of them asked me to pluck them, in fact the 3rd girlfriend, the one I married thought I looked quite sexy with my uni-brow thick eyebrows.   I would never ask any child who had thick eyebrows to do anything with them, they are there for a purpose, the idea of plucking them out or waxing them makes me shudder, just leave them alone.

#17 of 20 Old 11-13-2012, 09:17 AM

I think it really depends on the kids age and if they seem to care... if my daughter wanted to wax her eyebrows I'd probably let her beginning in 7th grade. I wouldn't bring it up to her or anything, if she has a problem with it, she can talk to me...I wouldn't want to bring it up and make her self-concious about them if she wasn't beforehand.

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

#18 of 20 Old 11-13-2012, 10:39 AM

I think if a child brought up feeling uncomfortable with their thick eyebrows then I would talk about their options at any age.

I wouldn't bring it up or actually make them pluck, wax or shave their eyebrows.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#19 of 20 Old 11-14-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyzombiecat View Post

I think if a child brought up feeling uncomfortable with their thick eyebrows then I would talk about their options at any age.

I wouldn't bring it up or actually make them pluck, wax or shave their eyebrows.

I would be like what my mother told me when I developed my thick eyebrows, "if you wish to pluck them, I will help you but I feel you should just leave them alone", that is what I did, just left them alone, great advice.  To be honest I never felt uncomfortable with my thick eyebrows.

#20 of 20 Old 11-14-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almorr View Post

I would be like what my mother told me when I developed my thick eyebrows, "if you wish to pluck them, I will help you but I feel you should just leave them alone", that is what I did, just left them alone, great advice.  To be honest I never felt uncomfortable with my thick eyebrows.

thumb.gif

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page