when did your big kid stop sitting on your lap? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 05-26-2011, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ds is 10 and about 4'11". The other night he was tired, and his favorite baseball team lost a heartbreaker in the 10th inning. He was very upset and in tears. I had him come sit on my lap for a few minutes.

I realized as he was on my lap that he hadn't sat on my lap for a long time, and that he was perhaps soon to be too big (physically). He was never a snuggler, so it's not like he really spent a lot of time on my lap, but it's a little sad for me.

When did your big kids stop? Have they? How long have I got?

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#2 of 19 Old 05-26-2011, 11:51 PM

My 13 y/o still will at my invitation if he needs comforting. I imagine those days are coming to a close though (sniff).

My 10 y/os, and my 7 y/o are regular (daily) visitors to my lap and my DH's and their grandfathers.  I don't see that stopping any time soon.

Karen

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

#3 of 19 Old 05-27-2011, 03:22 AM

nak

my eldest is only 5 so of course she still sits on me.

i still sit on my dad sometimes though, and i'm 30 and 5'11"!  Never too old IMO!

#4 of 19 Old 05-27-2011, 05:05 AM

My 16 yo was never a snuggler, so stoppped younger than 10, though I don't remember exactly. My almost 11yo is a huge snuggler and still comes and snuggles/sits on my lap/asks to be lifted up for hugs regularly.
#5 of 19 Old 05-27-2011, 06:20 AM

My nearly 10 year old still wants to sit in my lap but I find it uncomfortable.  So, we compromise and she sits next to me and drapes her upper body on my lap.  As a baby and toddler she was not a cuddler at all, and she is making up for it now. 

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#6 of 19 Old 05-27-2011, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

My DS (10) is still very snuggly but doesn't really sit on my lap. It's more a logistics thing as he is only a few inches shorter than me now. I can't remember when DD stopped. They do still sit on my DH's lap (he's 6'4") and on grandpa's lap (6'5") but not me. Instead they will sit next to me on the couch and curl up that way.

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
#7 of 19 Old 05-28-2011, 07:59 PM

The other day my 12 year old was very upset about something, and I invited him to sit on my lap.  It didn't really work logistically and I suspect it was the last time.  However, I still hug him, or snuggle with him, just not on my lap.

#8 of 19 Old 05-28-2011, 08:21 PM

My oldest is 10. . .and I really can't remember. I'd guess somewhere around when he stopped nursing, which was a little after 4 yo. He really hasn't been into hugs and stuff for a really long time. DD (almost 8) would still climb in my lap if it was physically possible, but she's very tall and heavy for her age. I have a lot of back problems, and even having her sit on my lap has been known to aggravate them. She sits up close to me for snuggles, though. DS2 is 5.5 and tiny, so he still climbs up all the time.
#9 of 19 Old 05-29-2011, 10:48 AM

Ds is almost 10 and hasn't sat on my lap in a long time.He's not really a cuddler,plus he's a big boy.I do get lots of hugs though,so that's ok.Dd is almost 13,and she still sits on my lap.It's a little weird since we are almost the same height(but she is less than half my weight,she's a skinny little thing lol).I love cuddling with her.Right now she's having a hard time with life(lots going on :( ) so it's often that we cuddle.I hope the cuddling never stops.I'll never think they are too old to sit on my lap.

Student mama to one awesome,talented and unique dd,15 and one amazing, sweet and strong ds,12(born with heart defect Tetralogy of Fallot,also on the autism spectrum),9 cats,and 2 gerbils.
#10 of 19 Old 05-30-2011, 06:20 AM

I can't remember the last time my 11 year old sat on my lap.  Probably in kindergarten?  My 7 year old hasn't sat on my lap since about the same age.  My 5 year old sits on my lap rarely.  I guess we're just not lap people.

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#11 of 19 Old 05-30-2011, 06:36 AM

My 9 year old son out grew my lap (physically) years ago but he is the ultimate snuggler and is often in my lap or draped all over me.

edited to add my 20 something nieces often sit on their moms laps!

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#12 of 19 Old 05-30-2011, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

DS stopped sitting in my lap when he was about 7 or 8, but at 18, he still gives me hugs spontaneously. I'm okay with that! DD is a real snuggler. She doesn't sit on my lap, but she will curl up on the sofa with. They were both my size by the time they were 12 or 13, and both are bigger than me now. Lap sitting wouldn't be all that comfortable, really. 

#13 of 19 Old 05-30-2011, 07:23 PM

I seem to remember my son stopping at around 10 or so, but never was a big snuggler.  My 15 year old will still come snuggle up or sort of sit halfway on my lap if she has had a tough day or needs comforting.  I imagine it varies a lot by child.

#14 of 19 Old 06-01-2011, 12:15 PM
Banned

I'm 29 and still sit in my dads lap...I would sit in moms but she has bad knees. Lol. I think I was about 13 or so when stopped. My DD is 9 and still sits on mine...with her honey butt! LOL !
#15 of 19 Old 06-01-2011, 09:07 PM

My eldest is 15 and she still likes to sit on my lap, even though she is only 1 inch shorter than me. My son  (13) doesn't like to sit on my lap too much anymore, but does like cuddles.

#16 of 19 Old 06-02-2011, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

My oldest is 13 and still does sometimes--but she's tall and leggy so it's not very comfy!  She sits next to me a lot and still gives me lot's of hugs.  

Mama to three crazy kids and one crazier dog.  biggrinbounce.gif

#17 of 19 Old 06-04-2011, 10:50 AM

my 13 year old still very snuggly as long as none of his friends around. last time he sat on my lap I was sitting at the computer and he wanted to watch too. He has gotten so big I thought he would crush me!

#18 of 19 Old 06-05-2011, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Do you think it makes a difference if they are boys or girls?  I have noticed most of the older kids are girls.  My 14 year old still sits on my lap (as do the other two and some of their friends) but they are all girls.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#19 of 19 Old 06-05-2011, 03:43 PM

My oldest tries to sit in my lap, but she doesn't fit like she used to. She still hugs, wraps an arm around and rests her head on my shoulder. My middle dd isn't as snuggly, so she rarely as and she is almost 7.

3 yr old loves to snuggle still.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page