Puberty education not happening at school! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 33 Old 07-20-2012, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My oldest started Family Life in 5th grade, they had to watch "The Miracle of Life" movie which was WAY tooo overrated for fifth graders (that's what she said!) so I don't recommend it until she's older. Yes, "The Care and Keeping of You" is nice, also a book called Body Drama but probably good for older kids. She started sex ed in 7th grade, which was very good for her. Unbelievably, her science teacher was very good and open and informative, and willing to discuss morbid topics. As someone who started at age 11, I could have used more information beforehand, but it ended up ok.

Raising three crazy girls in a loving home in IL. One notes.gif lil writer, bellyhair.gifActor (not belly dancer! Please!) and of course, our lil one says asl.gifgrouphug.gif "We're all in this together"... (high school musical-- EEP!).

#32 of 33 Old 07-20-2012, 11:46 AM

There's some great advice here.  All I would add is that 'coming of age' groups can be a lovely way to study the changes that come about during puberty.  Yes, parents are a great first port of call, but as some have said, their children begin to squirm at yet another of those conversations.  Yes, some schools raise the issues really well.  And whilst it can be really supportive to learn about these things together, learning with your classmates and your teachers may not be the most comfortable.  Gathering together with a group of other girls, expressly to explore coming of age and growing up, can be a really fun way to form really supportive bonds with others over a passage of life that is full of change.  I find that the girls I work with often stay friends with the others in their group right through school and into their child-bearing years...

#33 of 33 Old 07-23-2012, 03:48 AM

The UU and the UCC have a sex ed curriculum and people from outside those churches register for it.  I think it's called Our Whole Lives or something close.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page