is it normal ? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-30-2011, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

first, i didnt know where should i post this and im really worried about my daughter shes 15 now. she is usually depressed all the time, love to lock herself in her room be alone, she start getting mad easily,obsessing over her weight she even developed bulimia, she told me about it but i didnt think its a big deal, i mean it just a stupid habit, she can stop it. and sometimes shes like super hyper, she acts crazy and laughs about stupid things. and what makes me even more worried is shes talking about death and suicide a lot and stuff like that.

when she was about 6-7 i caught her masterbuting, i was worried i actually freaked out but i didnt talk to her about it i mean she was  a kid, i still didnt talk to her about it, im not sure i can and im not sure if she still does that! but is it normal for a child to do that ?

is there something wrong with my girl ? :/ please tell me 

#2 of 10 Old 07-01-2011, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)

masturbation is normal, but depression, extreme mood swings, and eating disorders aren't. Can you get your DD into see a counselor?

(mild mood swings and wanting to be alone are normal for teens, but there is line, and I think your DD sounds like she crossed over the line)

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#3 of 10 Old 07-01-2011, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

im really worried about her i guess ill have to talk to her and take her to see a counselor, but im scared she wouldnt let me take her to one and she'd start acting like im fine and stuff :/ 

anyways thanks a lot i really appreciate your help 

#4 of 10 Old 07-01-2011, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)

How are things socially for her right now? I mentioned the talking about suicide thing to my teen DD, and she said that she thinks that teens who are having problems socially are more likely to think about suicide -- she thinks there's a really big link there. This was based on a conversation she had with peers about which ones had had thoughts of killing themselves.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#5 of 10 Old 07-02-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post

masturbation is normal, but depression, extreme mood swings, and eating disorders aren't. Can you get your DD into see a counselor?

(mild mood swings and wanting to be alone are normal for teens, but there is line, and I think your DD sounds like she crossed over the line)

yeahthat.gif

#6 of 10 Old 07-02-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-mom View Post

im really worried about her i guess ill have to talk to her and take her to see a counselor, but im scared she wouldnt let me take her to one and she'd start acting like im fine and stuff :/ 

anyways thanks a lot i really appreciate your help 

Ask her to go for you, or bribe her.  

#7 of 10 Old 07-03-2011, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

idk, she used to have alot of friends but according to her "they changed" and she says she rarely talk to them, plus shes being bullied at school that why im moving her to a new school next year. shes addicted to twitter and other social networking sites, she use them to talk online friends. 

hah abribe her ? ill try that haha :) thanks

#8 of 10 Old 07-04-2011, 07:44 AM

I  also don't think masturbating is a problem, but the rest of the things you describe are very worrisome.  I agree that it would be a good idea  for her to talk to a professional. Most important is that she should  feel 100% comfortable talking to you about it.    

#9 of 10 Old 07-09-2011, 11:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I would take her to a private therapist. Ask your insurance for a refferal.  Some mood disorders, such as bipolar, can starts at that age and require treatment,

#10 of 10 Old 08-07-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post

yeahthat.gif

fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gifteapot2.GIFfemalesling.GIFfuzmalesling.giflearning.gifgeek.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page