Helping My Son Understand the Importance of Personal Hygiene... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 07-16-2011, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am a single mom to 3 kids, the oldest of which is a 12 yr old boy. He is so stinky! I have talked to him about it countless times, and usually end up getting really frustrated. How many times do I have to say it before he gets it?!  All three of my kids are getting to that age, and I am realizing that while I have (IMHOorngtongue.gif)mastered the parenting of babies and younger children, I have no idea what I am doing with these older kidsdizzy.gif I am sure I am not the only one struggling with this. Advice please???

Happiness despite misery is a great victory, I think...

caffix.gifSingle coffee loving and making mom to fencing.gifds, age 12, hamster.jpg dd, age 10, dog2.gif dd, age 7, flowerkitty.giftigress, cat.gifquinn, hyena.gifblack cat, and wool.gif beatrice the spider. Yeeehawww!!!

#2 of 12 Old 07-16-2011, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I made it simple "One shower a day. If you do not take a shower, you do not get Internet". He is big fan of showers now.

#3 of 12 Old 07-17-2011, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alenushka View Post

I made it simple "One shower a day. If you do not take a shower, you do not get Internet". He is big fan of showers now.

That's funny.

Did you guys have deodorant issues? My DDs would shower, but forget about deodorant, and be VERY stinky by the end of the day. My DH one night kinda went off and told them that boys didn't like stinky girls. I pointed out to him that them staying stinky might really simplify the teen years around here (no dates, no boys, no problems) and he changed his tune. He decided it might be nice if they just stayed stinky.

And they've worn deodorant every day since.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#4 of 12 Old 07-18-2011, 12:28 PM

We tried the girl thing....but then he came out to us as gay. So, now we talk about boys.

#5 of 12 Old 07-18-2011, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I took my 10 yr old DS to the shower stuff section of Target and let him pick out what he wanted. (as long as it was NOT Axe)  He likes the 'all in one' stuff, shampoo and body wash in one bottle stuff.  IDK what he got for deodorant but the liked the yellow container.  Now he knows every time you shower you use deodorant.  Its hot here so hes been showering 2x a day.

Now if I could just get him to brush his hair... 

So maybe letting him pick out his own stuff would help?

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#6 of 12 Old 07-19-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:

We tried the girl thing....but then he came out to us as gay. So, now we talk about boys.

Is he feeling OK about himself?  I think that puberty is rough enough for straight kids. For gay or bi kids, I think it's even more confusing. I can see a child who is dealing with society's messages about their sexuality choosing to be a slob as a way to opt out of relationships.

Peace

#7 of 12 Old 07-19-2011, 10:41 AM

I am quiet amazed at him, actually. He is member of his shcool GSA and is quiet open. I guess times are changing..

#8 of 12 Old 07-19-2011, 04:46 PM

Times are changing!  I'm glad to hearing he is doing well!!!!

#9 of 12 Old 07-19-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:

I am quiet amazed at him, actually. He is member of his shcool GSA and is quiet open. I guess times are changing..

Good for him. My son is a straight member of his college's GSA and is very outspoken regarding GLTB issues. It's a beautiful thing, IMO. 

#10 of 12 Old 07-22-2011, 09:42 AM

We're not quite there yet, but it's not going to be long, and for us it's just not optional. You brush your teeth, brush your hair,make your bed every day. So as we move along things like taking a shower and using deodorant daily will also be not optional. And I think it may take a lot of reminding every single day until they get it. I also like the stink = no internet. :)

#11 of 12 Old 08-03-2011, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies! He has been going to his dads to shower (our shower curtain rod broke so we are now bathing, but he doesn't like to bathe every day) every day and I have been making him show me a change of clothes, plus that he has his deoderant when he goes. Things have been a bit less stinky around here. Sometimes I just don't have the patience for  constantly having to repeat things i've said a thousand times.

Happiness despite misery is a great victory, I think...

caffix.gifSingle coffee loving and making mom to fencing.gifds, age 12, hamster.jpg dd, age 10, dog2.gif dd, age 7, flowerkitty.giftigress, cat.gifquinn, hyena.gifblack cat, and wool.gif beatrice the spider. Yeeehawww!!!

#12 of 12 Old 08-03-2011, 08:46 PM

My youngest will be 13 next month.  DD got it quick and ds#1 plays sports so has always been good about showering (a must after practice since he was 6) but off my last one.  We now have a code word. "does anyone smell a caribou in here?" and off he goes. his brother is working on the deodorant since they share a room.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page