Bullying By Other Boys - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-10-2011, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DS (age11 - almost 12) is suffering bullying from other boys because he looks (and sometimes behaves) more like a girl. He has always been like that and until recently he had been happy and made friends of noth boys and girls but lately all the boys seem to just torment him all the time and he has given up soccer (which he was good at), and wants to spend more time at home just reading and playing on his computer.

I don't see why he should change just to suit other kids, but at the same time I want him to be happy and enjoy life.

#2 of 3 Old 08-10-2011, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I highly reccomend youth theatre. It's an incredibly welcoming environment for boys of all types. Even if he's not into being on stage, working backstage is a great outlet too. Both my kids (even my very typical boy) just love it. Having strong social connections outside of school make lack of connections at school more tolerable. Theatre kids just seem to be more secure in their differences. If he's opposed to theatre, the arts in general tend to attract large quantities of bright and quirky kids. Both my 10 and 14-year-old have male friends that match your description and it's not a big deal at all!

Hugs to your DS and you. My own DS was a target of bullies all of 3rd grade. Like I said, he's a very typical boy but he's brainy and had the misfortune of befriending an untrustworthy child with no friends. The child turned on him and started a game of humiliating DS every chance he could. It was so painful for DS and painful for us to watch. Have you talked to the administration at school? We did and they really did a good job turning things around.

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
#3 of 3 Old 08-13-2011, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This was my now 19yo. Realistically, I can understand how he attracted the wrong kind of attention when he'd go outside for PE (in HS), arms thrown wide, spinning around in circles. Or when he decided that every Wednesday was "Free Hugs Day" - he literally made up t-shirts and offered free hugs to anyone who wanted one every Wednesday. Cool, but.... (to many kids - especially guys) weird. His Scout friends (save one - and his Dad), pretty well shunned him. I CAN say that the "spinning", hugs, general sensitivity, etc. gained him a TON of friends who were female, and consequently, a lot of girls who were eager to date him. Some were nut jobs, but some were really very nice young women.

I will agree that the arts are more accepting of such differences. He did drama, chorus and music, and also focused on his academics. And is now studying Music Comp.

Encourage him to be his own man. To find the drummer whose beat matches his and to march to it. As long as he is comfortable in his own skin, what others think won't matter.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page