Want to make ear peircing a womanhood ritual. Ideas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-09-2011, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My dd has just turned 8. I've told her for years that when she is responsible enough to take care of herself and her things, do her work without me standing over her, etc, I would pierce her ears. She's been showing an incredible amount of maturity lately, so I think it's time. But, I would really like to make it more than just piercing her ears. We've been talking about puberty lately, and she's convinced her breasts are starting to grow a little bit (lol) and she just really wants to be treated as more of an adult. Now that's she's earned it, I'd really like to make it a part of a really big deal.

Any ideas?

FAs, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing, positive parenting, homeschooler

#2 of 3 Old 09-10-2011, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Kids step back and forth with maturity. Just when you are delighting in their self-reliance, honesty and responsibility, they hit a stage where they become secretive, eye-rolling, forgetful and remind you of how juvenile they still are. I'd be careful to celebrate exactly what her accomplishments are without tying it too much to "womanhood." She still has a long way to that point and you can't guaruntee that you'll treat her like an equal grown woman the next few years because you don't know how crazy she might get in those later tween/early teen years. 

DD was 9 and finally asked (which was a big deal because she HATES needles.) She was also at an age where I could trust her to take care of them. Just the action of having it done and picking out earrings was special (and a good memory I have of when I had my done at age 12.) We went to lunch just the two of us (no boys) and it was a lovely and memorable girls day.

Maybe you could do something similar with more focus on sharing how proud you are of her current choices and behavior? If you really want it tied to womanhood, you could delay until her first period though that could still be years off. You could make it a page in her scrapbook or tie it with a little girls day with a couple close friends. 

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
#3 of 3 Old 09-10-2011, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I'm not sure I'd do it at the same time as her period starting... it's a little overwhelming trying to get the hang of how often to change pads and all that, so it might feel like a lot all at once to have to stick to an ear-cleaning regimen as well.

I think going out to lunch is a nice idea... or maybe take her for somewhere you normally wouldn't, like a coffee/dessert place? My kids always feel like it's a huge treat if I let them have coffee (loaded with milk and sugar, of course) My daughter liked getting nail polish at a salon (I let her get that done when she got her glasses)

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page