crying at the drop of a hat - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-26-2011, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How do the rest of u deal with this? My ten yr old has started to get so emotional, she literally cries about EVERYTHING! It is really driving me nuts! I want to be patient about it, but i also want her to learn other ways to express herself. I am a bit of a cryer ie. Mad sad, whatever it is seem to come out through tears (however not at the drop of a hat like hers). So maybe she is more prone along with the puberty/emotional issues?? I know that this is quite typical, so i'm jyst wondering how ppl have dealt with this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 09-26-2011, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My son is 9 and I've noticed this lately. He's been acting silly quite a bit more, and not listening when it's time to settle down. We generally give him a few polite warnings and then a more stern one. He can't seem to handle being spoken to sternly anymore (I think he's getting embarrassed, actually) What I've started doing is after telling him it's time to settle down, if he doesn't listen I go to him/call him over, make eye contact and say "You've been told it's time to settle down. If you carry on, I'll get short with you and you will get upset. I know that's not how you want things to go so what are you going to do to calm yourself?" It's almost like he's unlearned cause and effect... spelling it out for him seems to help though.

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#3 of 5 Old 09-26-2011, 10:26 PM

Same with my 9 3/4 dd...though I was attributing mostly to a messy split up with her dad, and not her age.  Perhaps I should rethink?

Whenever possible, I take my dd aside and give her a cuddle (or a "time in") -- about half the time that clears things up very quickly.

Mom to two terrific kiddos, affirming every day that the Universe is unfolding as it should and all is well...

#4 of 5 Old 09-26-2011, 10:57 PM

Hmm well I am willing to bet it is age related then. My soon to be 10 year old has been the same way lately. I cannot say anything that sounds negative or like a correction or he ends up in tears or stomping off pouting. So frustrating. Especially since he is constantly asking me questions that I cannot give him the answer he wants for.

Holly intactlact.giffambedsingle2.giffly-by-nursing1.gifsingle mom to 4.5...hoping for a homebirth.jpg this time.
#5 of 5 Old 09-26-2011, 11:38 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Oh gosh, I remember that stage. I think I was about 11. I cried at EVERYTHING. I even had this poster on my wall that would make me cry. My DD was like that a little later, like late 13/early 14 but she's also later on the puberty side.

I know it's frustrating but as long as you've ruled out any exterior causes, I'd guess she's having some hormonal mood swings.

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page