Graphic Novel recommendations for 10yo ds? - Mothering Forums
Preteens and Teens > Graphic Novel recommendations for 10yo ds?
4evermom's Avatar 4evermom 08:53 PM 11-24-2011

He just read and enjoyed the Amulet series by Kazu Kibuishi.  What else is good? 

*LoveBugMama*'s Avatar *LoveBugMama* 11:33 AM 11-25-2011

My son is 10,5 YO, and he absolutely loves the Taynikma series. It`s written by a Danish writer. Amazing fantasybooks for kids between 8 and 12. :) Here in Norway all 12 books are available, and 2 more on the way. My son has read them all, and is eagerly waiting for the next one. (Here in Norway, each book contains 2 books, but I see that in the UK each book is sold seperately, it seems.)

I`m not sure if they are available in the US, but I know you can get them on Amazon.UK. Here`s a link:http://www.taynikma.co.uk/

mommm's Avatar mommm 08:49 PM 11-25-2011

Hi there, Bone series is good.  :)  And it's got about 6 books.

My son also liked and still likes the Mouseguard series. Amazing.  Both on Amazon.com

4evermom's Avatar 4evermom 08:29 AM 11-26-2011

Thanks, both of you! Those all look good.  I want to get him some for Christmas but couldn't figure out where to start looking.  I was coming up with things like Hardy Boys when I did searches.  I'd rather graphic novels written to be graphic novels rather than classics converted to graphic novels.  And finding age appropriate stuff can be a challenge since much is really written for adults:-) 

raksmama's Avatar raksmama 06:58 AM 11-28-2011

DS(13) starting reading the Japanese Manga Naruto around your son's age. It is a bit violent but most of the magda is,   It got him into reading a lot. Now he's into Bleach

Diary of a Wimpy Kid is not a graphic novle in the  true sense, but all the boys I know love it.

jess in hawaii's Avatar jess in hawaii 07:18 AM 11-28-2011

I second the Diary of a Wimpy Kid recommendation. I also found a Pendragon graphic novel  for my 11yo who has read all the Pendragon books.

4evermom's Avatar 4evermom 09:23 AM 11-28-2011

Thanks, I'll check them out!  I like how the Diary of a Wimpy Kid breaks up the writing with pictures so there are only short paragraphs to track (ds gets overwhelmed with too many words packed together) but most of the story is either school based or sibling rivalry based which doesn't really strike home with an unschooled, only child, lol.  The main character isn't very likable, either.  Hard for ds to relate to a kid who is such a disloyal friend.  Sometimes, I find we prefer stories out of Japan or Korea rather than the States.  I'm thinking of how similar the TV shows Eon Kid and Ben 10 are but Ben 10 has the kids sniping at each other with stereotypical American teenager attitude.  Whereas the kids in Eon Kid work together and portray a more normal (to me) relationship.  Even Pokemon, although the characters get aggravated with each other, it isn't with that American flavor of snottiness.  But I digress:-)

whatsnextmom's Avatar whatsnextmom 09:39 AM 11-28-2011

I highly reccomend Brain Selznick's "The Invention of Hugo Cabret" and "Wonder Struck." They are gorgeous books... a blend of written word and graphic novel. If he's overwhelmed by a lot of words on a page, these would be perfect. They are huge (like 500 pages) but can have a few pages of text and then followed by 20 pages of graphics that tell the story followed by a page with one sentance on it. "Hugo" was a huge confidence builder when my DS was younger. There is a movie based on it out now which is good but I miss all the visuals the book offered.

Another graphic novel suggestion... "The Arrival." It's a wonderful portrayal of an immigrant's journey to a new land. It's set in alien countries but it mirrors Ellis Island and such.

raksmama's Avatar raksmama 07:46 AM 11-29-2011

Speaking of graphic novels, because ds(13) liked Manga, I got him Neil Gaiman's Sandman. DS does not like it saying it is creepy. Does anyone familiar with it? What age is it for?

I also wanted to mention another Manga my son liked was Whistle. It is about soccer. There is nothing paranormal, little or no violence.

whatsnextmom's Avatar whatsnextmom 08:37 AM 11-29-2011

I remember Sandman from when I was in college. It was pretty cool but again, I was in college lol. A lot of those graphic novels are written for adults. I wish I could remember the one my DD read when she was little that was more appropriate but still interesting. Hmm, it'll come to me eventually.

ollyoxenfree's Avatar ollyoxenfree 09:23 AM 11-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksmama View Post

Speaking of graphic novels, because ds(13) liked Manga, I got him Neil Gaiman's Sandman. DS does not like it saying it is creepy. Does anyone familiar with it? What age is it for?

Sandman has a lot of mature adult content. Some 13 y.o.'s can probably read it, but I'd tend to recommend it for older teens. If I recall, DS was about 15 when he started reading them. You might check out Stardust or Neverwhere, although I haven't read the graphic novel versions and so I can't vouch for them. I think they are more often read by younger teens than Sandman. Although, on the creepy scale, I think Coraline is one of the creepiest books I've ever read (those eyes!) and it's definitely targeted to children.  

philomom's Avatar philomom 09:31 AM 11-29-2011
ElfQuest is amazing. It is online for free and not too "adult". Wendy and Richard Pini are awesome!

http://www.elfquest.com/gallery.html
jess in hawaii's Avatar jess in hawaii 11:56 AM 11-29-2011

Neil Gaiman is a little tricky..... he tends towards the creepy, is sometimes very creepy, and sometimes not much. My 11yo likes him in general, but he likes much creepier stuff than I necessarily feel comfortable with.  Each book has to sort of be taken on it's own. I wish I could make specific recommendations, the only one I distinctly remember that's probably on the not horrifyingly creepy side is The Graveyard Book, but I can't swear to that.

hildare's Avatar hildare 12:10 PM 11-29-2011

yeah, i was super into sandman when i was in high school... i think that's about the age level appropriateness for that.

however, i think some of gaiman's more recent books also have a graphic novel to go along with them- i remember seeing one for coraline.  that's a good one. 

i hate that i feel like i ALWAYS answer posts like this with lists.. but.. the american library association (the YA division, yalsa) has some lists, though they are for "teens" and you might want to look at them first.. here.. http://www.ala.org/yalsa/ggnt

here's another list http://www.txla.org/groups/Maverick

raksmama's Avatar raksmama 06:02 PM 11-29-2011

Oh I always appreciate getting to get good lists! this is great, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post

i hate that i feel like i ALWAYS answer posts like this with lists.. but.. the american library association (the YA division, yalsa) has some lists, though they are for "teens" and you might want to look at them first.. here.. http://www.ala.org/yalsa/ggnt

here's another list http://www.txla.org/groups/Maverick

4evermom's Avatar 4evermom 09:18 PM 11-29-2011

notes.gif  Thanks for all the input! 

Up