Mothering Forum banner

When is his body going to catch up with his feet?!

Tags
pre teens
990 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  LynnS6 
#1 ·
I had to take ds out to buy him a pair of dress shoes today (I don't normally buy him dress shoes because he wears them so rarely, but we're going to his grandmother's funeral next week back in the Midwest, and dress standards are 'stricter' among dh's family and he must have them for that).

He's now wearing a MEN'S size NINE! He's 10. The child is only 10. He's 59" tall. He's grown less than an inch this year, but he's gone through 2 whole shoe sizes in a year. He's showing absolutely no other signs of puberty (this is the child who still has me wash his hair). But TWO shoe sizes with little gain in height.

Please tell me that his feet will stop growing eventually, and that he will have a height spurt to match. Right now I feel like I'm raising Bozo the Clown when he has those shoes on!

#3 ·
Both my kids jump in shoe sizes before a period of height growth. It can look sort of odd in the beginning when their feet are so big and they are still short. Within 2 years though, everything seems to match.

DD's last shoe change was at age 11. She jumped to a size 9 women's and was still well under 5' tall. Clown feet would be an appropriate description lol. However, at 14 and 5'7", they are in perfect proportion. I'm pretty sure her feet are done and she won't likely get more than an inch or two taller.

DS jumped two sizes this summer into a men's 7. He has been growing steadily since. He's a little over 5 feet tall now and I'm expecting more shoe and height growth for years to come.

I bet the feet will stagnate for a year or two while his body catches up.

P.S. Sorry for your loss and so close to the holidays :-( I hope the services bring peace.

#6 ·
Well, he's started eating a lot -- he had 3 servings at dinner tonight, so I think the growth spurt is right around the corner. Dang! That means I'm going to buy him all new pants. And lord only knows where I'm going to get sweats that fit his size 8-10 waist and soon to be size 14-16 legs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post

Hummmm and I thought my 11 yr old who wears a 5-6WIDE was bad... (or XW when I can find it).

My kiddo is probably about 5 ft tall.
Well, ds' feet are not only size 9, but they're NARROW. Ever try to find a men's size 9 narrow in a shoe a kid will wear?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.