Disciplinary consequences for petty theft - suggestions? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-09-2012, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD age 9 confessed to us last night that she and a couple other girls in her 4th grade class have been stealing Expo markers from school over the last couple months (maybe 15?).Obviously she'll be returning the markers. The situation is a little complicated because of some peers that are involved - she stole them due to peer pressure and we're working with her to understand that she is nevertheless responsible for her choices. We're meeting with the guidance counselor tomorrow to address many angles... but on our end, we are looking for suggestions of some type of restitution, community service, hard work, that would be appropriate teaching tools. I don't care if it's related to theft, standing up to bullies, or just plain hard work, but I do want her to learn something. Any thoughts?

#2 of 10 Old 01-09-2012, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

She confessed?  Did you even have to ask her?  If she told you without prodding I think her returning the Pens is really enough.  If you asked her and responded, again returning the pens is enough.  Some kids do not need an extreme lesson.  I would be pleased my kid told me the truth to begin with.

#3 of 10 Old 01-09-2012, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Actually, she confessed outright when I was praising her high moral character in another situation. So yes, we really do want to reward her honesty but thought we should be reprimanding the stealing. Maybe not. Thank you for that perspective!

#4 of 10 Old 01-09-2012, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Oh geez, I wonder what she was thinking when you were praising her.  Oh poor baby!  She knew she didn't deserve that!.  That's some good parenting with that kid! 

#5 of 10 Old 01-09-2012, 02:35 PM

I agree with Imakcerka - when I was a pre-teen, just the guilt and shame of knowing I didn't deserve the praise I was receiving, or that my parents were disappointed in me, was more than enough punishment to dissuade me from similar behavior in the future!

#6 of 10 Old 01-09-2012, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

She'll be mortified when she has to return them. That will be difficult for her. You don't have to punish for this. And if you did, it might teach her to not fess up like that in the future, and it was really good of her to do that.

#7 of 10 Old 01-09-2012, 02:51 PM

Yes, I agree with PPs.  I think her being required to return them and apologize is sufficient.  

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#8 of 10 Old 01-09-2012, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

YES! thank you everybody. we did tell her she has to return them and she is having a breakdown, and certainly, it is enough. Thank you for all these helpful comments.I don't know how I could figure this out without input, truly!

#9 of 10 Old 01-10-2012, 05:41 PM

I wouldn't do anything. The school may give out their own discipline which would be enough. 

#10 of 10 Old 01-11-2012, 07:59 AM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

By confessing, she has demonstrated clearly that she knows that stealing is wrong. You have already done the teaching over the years - no need to rub it in, to humiliate her.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

Tags
Pre Teens

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page