How much did your daughter grow after her period started? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 02-15-2012, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I wanted to post this for a friend who has a 11 year old girl (will be 12 in two months) she started her period last month.  She is on the petite side and my friend's doctor told her that she should expect only two more inches of growth.  We talked about it and she remembers growing more than 2 inches when she was in highschool and I told her I even grew an inch in college.  

What has anyone else seen in growth from their daughters after their period started?

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

#2 of 34 Old 02-15-2012, 08:29 PM

My daughter is only 2, but I got my period at 10.5 years old and didn't grow after that.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#3 of 34 Old 02-15-2012, 08:32 PM

Dd1 started her period at 9, and grew at least 3 inches in high school. We also found out at Christmas break she grew another inch sometime in college (she's a junior now).

#4 of 34 Old 02-15-2012, 08:44 PM
Dar

Three and a half inches, I believe... she was 11, too.

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#5 of 34 Old 02-15-2012, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

It's only been a year since DD (newly 15) started her period. She's grew about 3 inches just prior to starting and another inch just after. She hasn't gotten any taller the last 10 months. I suspect she's done at 5'7" (which is what you'd expect from having a 5'4" inch mom and a 6'4" dad.) Personally, I was 12 when my period started and full grown at 13. Two of my nieces grew all through high school but then, they were also destined to be 6 feet tall.

The average is about 2 inches after menstration starts but of course, there are girls who grow more and girls who will grow less. If this girls parents are very tall and she's still small then sure, she may have a big spurt in her. If her parents are average or small, she may very well be done or close to it. Just based on DD's friends, we really haven't witnessed any big spurts in girls after middle school. 

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
#6 of 34 Old 02-16-2012, 05:32 AM

Yep, *generally*, girls will average ~2inches after starting menstruation. Which means some will grow more, and some less. My daughter started at 14, and grew another 2-ish inches. I haven't measured her  lately, but she may have added a bit. She's about 5'7".

#7 of 34 Old 02-16-2012, 06:35 AM

I'm not entirely sure, but close to 3 inches, I think. From what I can recall, when she was 12, she was shorter than I am now, and she's now taller than me by more than an inch. 

#8 of 34 Old 02-16-2012, 06:54 AM

My daughter started her period at 13, and grew about an inch in the school year before she started high school.  She was at her adult height when she started 9th grade.

On the other hand, my niece was 5'6'' when she started her period at 11.  She just turned 13 and is 5'10'', and her ped. still thinks she may grow another inch or two.

#9 of 34 Old 02-16-2012, 08:07 AM

1 1/2 -2 inches so far.  My guess would be another inch or two before she's done.

#10 of 34 Old 02-16-2012, 11:51 AM

I stopped growing altogether after getting my period. Same with all the women in my family (mom, aunts, cousins, etc).  I suspect there is a genetic component to it.

All of us were on the "tall" side in our classes, and then we stopped growing and ended up being completely average height, although one cousin is very petite.

#11 of 34 Old 02-16-2012, 12:48 PM

DD14 started at 11 and has grown an inch total since, I think she's done growing vertically, but she was always on the tall end of her friends. She was 5'1" or 5'2" at that time, I grew 2 or maybe 3 inches, I was 11 also and reached my final height and weight by 14. DD11 is showing signs of puberty, but is so slight that I'm sure she'll keep growing after she gets hers, I'm guessing at 12, she will probably only be 5' by then, though.

(gender)queer vegetarian artist co-parenting DDs 14 & 11 with DP and TTC  little peanut #3 3rdtri.gif

#12 of 34 Old 02-29-2012, 09:35 AM

No, not much growth at all after the period started at age 12.  Daughter is now 15 and is about 5'8".  I'm certain that she reached nearly full height before the period started and I've read that this is generally the case.  It sure was with me.  I was 5' 9" at 12 years old. 

#13 of 34 Old 03-02-2012, 01:01 AM

My DD started at 13 1/2.  Thereafter she grew 4 inches through high school and topped out at 5' 6". She was never more than 10th percentile until high school.   But she made it to 5' 6" and is happy with that.  Many of her classmates matured in 5th-6th grade and stopped growing in middle school.  She was a late bloomer, as were DH & I both.

Between genetics and nutrition it's hard to know what will happen. DS was in the 50th percentile till adolescence; but now is likely to finish 6' 2 - 3" but his dad and both grandfathers are all 5' 10ish.  One of his great-grandfathers was 6' 5" but I wasn't expecting the height to skip 2 generations!  However, about the time he hit adolescence I discovered raw milk, pastured meat, & high mineral foods with good natural fats (check out Traditional Nutrition).  Also his eyes are the best in the family.   I think the food is what made the difference, but we'll never know. It's only anecdotal evidence!

Coming from a large family, I see is a strong nutritional aspect to all this.  After reading Deep Nutrition (Catherine Shanahan) I talked to my dad and correlated his comments into a timeline with the births of his 7 children, along with his jobs and how well he could provide for his pregnant wife and growing family.  (Mom is gone now so I couldn't talk to her.)  Dad was quite clear about "hard times" and "squeeze week" (pay never stretched to the end of the month) and where we lived and the jobs he held. Mom had a garden and Dad would often shoot a rabbit or bird for dinner.  (They lived in the country in the far North.)  I can see a direct correlation between height & health in the children that varied across the years with his & Mom's ability to provide for all of us in early childhood.  I was lucky, after my birth he had a good salary and the family was living where we had plenty of sunshine and fresh food all year.  Mom once said I was born small but just wouldn't stop growing.  Today, now that we are all getting older, I can see how the trajectory of our lifetime health reflected the early nutrition plus alterations (good and bad) due to adult dietary habits.  Even our dental health shows it.  High mineral food in childhood produced stronger bones and teeth. 

Feed your littles high protein, good fats, high mineral food! 

tropicana likes this.
#14 of 34 Old 04-17-2012, 12:32 AM

My daughter's grown 2 inches now, but it's only been 2 years, and she doesn't seem to be slowing down, based on how much she eats! ;-) I grew 9 inches after menstruation started, however.

#15 of 34 Old 04-17-2012, 02:19 AM

My dd just started her period at 12 years. If she only grows another 2 inches she will be the same height as me and dh is only a couple of inches taller than me so that seems a reasonable enough expectation.

I don't remember what my height was when my period started. I don't remember a big height change during high school though and I don't think I got any taller in college.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#16 of 34 Old 08-08-2012, 11:16 AM

My daughter started her period when she was thirteen years old and she was not even 5' tall. I am only 5'3" and my husband is 5'8" so I was concerned if she would grow because she was a late bloomer. She is now 5'7" and so beautiful.  I have a thirteen 1/2 year old who hasn't started and she turns 14 in four months. I am hoping she will grow as tall as her sister too. Late bloomers might grow taller!!!

#17 of 34 Old 10-22-2013, 05:40 PM

I am feeling much better now that I read all these stories.  My daughter started her period this summer at aged 11.  She is only 4'-10" and we just saw a new pediatrician today.  This doctor told me she would only grow another inch -- if that, purely based on the fact that she has started menstruating.   I always thought she would be taller than me since she has bigger feet already.  I am 5"-3" got my period at age 15 -- I don't remember how much more I grew but I do remember growing that last inch the first year of college.  So we will see.....

#18 of 34 Old 10-23-2013, 01:59 AM

I started at 15 (I know-- late!) but still was growing until my first or second year of college. 
My SIL started at around age 10 or 11, and she's one of the tallest women I know. She grew a *lot* after starting. 

My own daughter hasn't started yet. She'll be 13 soon.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#19 of 34 Old 10-25-2013, 07:45 AM

I wonder if increased nutrition has changed the old adage "girls won't grow after they menstruate." I got my period at 12 and I don't think I grew much after that at all. However, I was about 4' 11'' and I did grow about a quarter to a half inch during my first two pregnancies. My doctor said it had something to do with lots of growth hormone being released, but he said he didn't see this really often. I'm barely 5 feet now and didn't grow during my last pregnancy in my late 30s.

My oldest got her period at about 9 and grew about 2 inches. She's 5'2''

My middle girl got hers at 13 and was already nearly 5'4'' and didn't grow much after that.

My youngest got hers at 10 and has grown at least 3 or 4 inches since she got her period. She's 5'3'' at the moment.

They are all taller than me.

Just from my family of women it looks like it's really variable.

Attachment Parenting: The radical notion that children are human. bfinfant.gif
#20 of 34 Old 10-26-2013, 12:44 PM

I have two daughters that have started their periods. They are 23 and 19. Neither grew more then half and inch once they started. Both were in their late 12's if that matters.

#21 of 34 Old 10-28-2013, 06:03 AM

One daughter grew about 5" after starting. She is 5'11"(this rapid growth caused her some problems and she was in physical therapy for a few weeks during that time) Another grew about 2" after. She was really tall for her age to begin with, though. She is now 5'9". Still waiting on daughter3 to start and then have another daughter who is only two.

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

#22 of 34 Old 02-22-2014, 09:46 AM

My daughter is still a toddler, but I remember I was 5'1" in 8th grade and started my period towards the end of the school year. I am now 5'5.5". At least some of that growth must have been following menarche. 

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#23 of 34 Old 02-22-2014, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Much to my daughter's dismay, her doctor told her to expect that she'd stop growing about two years after menarche (she's only 5'1" and by these calculations, has a year to go).

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#24 of 34 Old 03-01-2014, 04:49 PM

DD started her period at 10.  She was 5'3" then.  She's now 12, is 5'6" and appears to still be growing steadily towards 5'7" though not at the massive growth spurt rate that she did right before her period started.

#25 of 34 Old 03-02-2014, 10:21 AM

I got my period when I was 14. I was about 5ft tall at that time when I graduated highschool I was 5'1 and when I came home from collage for a physical I was 5'3 so I grew 3 inches over 6 years .
#26 of 34 Old 03-02-2014, 10:24 AM

My daughter is going to be 11 in April and does have some pubic hair she is almost 5 ft tall and has not started her period yet. I'm hoping it holds off until she's 12 at least.
#27 of 34 Old 03-02-2014, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

My eldest dd have her first period at 12 3/4, but didn't get another until she was 14 and around 5' 6'. She finally stopped growing at 19 and topped out at 5' 9". My middle DD didn't start her period until she was 15 and was already 5' 7', a year later she is 5' 8". 

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#28 of 34 Old 03-06-2014, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

My oldest daughter isn't near puberty ages yet at only 8.5 but I don't remember growing much after puberty although I'm not sure exactly where I was on height when it started. I know I got my first training bra at 6th grade and all my other "changes" around 11.5-12 and started AF at exactly 12.5. At 14 and starting high school I was my adult size height (5'3") and figure (DD) though so I couldn't have grown much after AF started - any additional growth, mostly figure wise, within a year and a half of starting. I think my weight around the time it started was about 103 although I started putting on weight after that and have mostly ranged 145-155 since high school/adulthood. My sister and all the other women in my family seem to be about the same size and AF start. I really think we were all "fully grown" within a year or two of the start of AF but that is probably something to do with genetics.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#29 of 34 Old 03-23-2014, 10:29 AM

I got to this thread as my own 11 yo DD just started recently. She is not even 5" and she has another cousin who is 4'11" ... I haven't asked her yet if she had any growth after she hit puberty. I myself started at right after my 13th birthday but then I didn't any more periods till I was 15.... and I did have got 3-4" by then. I am 5'6" not too tall but not very short either. DH is 5' 11".

Just curious if adding gymnastic or any other kind of stretching exercise might help with growth??

Amee

#30 of 34 Old 03-23-2014, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I don't think the stretching is going to change her genetics and make her taller or smaller than she would be naturally. However, I've heard women who've gained an inch as adults through pilates. They aren't "growing" but they are improving posture and increasing space in their spine.

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.

Tags
Teens

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page