My 9 yr old is going to wear her first tampon tomorrow - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-19-2012, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have 3 girls: 18 yr old Madelyn, 13 yr old Sophie, and 9 yr old Charlotte. Madelyn got her period at 14 and used pads for a year and a half but then joined a swim team and began using tampons, which she liked a lot better than pads. Sophie got her period last year when she was 12 and she used tampons right off; never used pads, following Madelyn's example. Charlotte got her period this year and used pads, but now she is also on the swim team that Madelyn and Sophie are on. Her first practice is tomorrow and so she is going to be wearing her first tampon. Any suggestions on the "do's" and "don't's?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 03-19-2012, 10:49 PM

Ehh, my first tampon.... You don't want to hear about it, but I will suggest arranging things so she'll be at home when she needs to remove her first tampon. (And I've heard some girls have trouble urinating with a tampon in, so you might not want to count on her being able to wear one all day before coming home.)

#3 of 3 Old 03-20-2012, 03:46 AM

Hi,
I don't have teenagers but I have recently helped my 12 year old niece through this...
My only real advice is to let her know what it's meant to look and feel like on the outside of her body... I know I thought that half of the tampon was meant to be outside of my body. Terrible..
I would also recommend using an applicator too..
And practicing far before swim class time.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help!!

treehugger.gifHappy Vegetarian Gal and geek.gif Techie Man-   heartbeat.gifNewly Wed!!!heartbeat.gif  Expecting "Albi" Christmas 2012 diaper.gif

Looking forward to homebirth.jpgbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIF fuzmalesling.gif cd.gif

Tags
Pre Teens , Teens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page