Any suggestions to help growing pains? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-24-2012, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD 9 1/2 has been complaining a lot lately of breast pain. She does have some little breast buds, so I suppose this is natural growing pains of starting to develop.

Is there anything that can help this? Natural remedies, anything? I don't remember it myself, and she is my oldest daughter. Thanks.

#2 of 3 Old 04-24-2012, 05:02 PM

This is very natural and is caused by changing hormones.  Since pain is usually associated with something being wrong, and some children worry about cancer, reassure her that it is part of the process of growing and changing and is perfectly normal.  There are some things that can help with the pain: Sleep and rest more. Take evening primrose oil and cut back on the salt. Avoid stimulants like tea, coffee, chocolate, and sugar.  Take greater care over what you eat for a bit: more fruit and vegetables, organic if possible, plenty of water, good proteins,  whole grains, cut out fried things, red meat, processed foods, white bread, and fizzy drinks.  All these suggestions help with PMT too.  

I work with mothers supporting daughters as they come of age and this is often one of the first signs that puberty is launching.  Exciting times!  I wish you and your daughter well on her journey towards womanhood.

#3 of 3 Old 04-26-2012, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you! I will try to work with her nutrition - it's pretty good, but it's an ongoing struggle to make it any better!

Thanks for the info. She knows about puberty as she's had sex ed., and so far is good about talking to me. Do you know of any resources that can teach me a little more about the details of what's going on in the body that would have physical and psychological impacts?

Thanks!

Tags
Pre Teens

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page