my 12 y/o is obsessed with halloween? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-25-2012, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

For years, my DD has been obsessed with Halloween, but it's getting a bit much for a 12 y/o. I've always been fine with her having Halloween decorations in her room or pumpkin t-shirts or wearing black, but now she's already looking forward to this costume and wants me to buy her a costume from this website: http://www.mrcostumes.com/Sexy-Costumes-C18.aspx

None of that is appropriate for her age, and I've told her she's not getting one, but of course this brings up the issue that I'm not letting her do "what she wants." Sorry, but it's just not safe with her age. I really need an alternative, or some way to steer her back to her old ways of just being happy with pumpkins and Nightmare Before Christmas stuff. :[

Has anyone had the Halloween costume problem with their DDs before?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 07-25-2012, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

No, my DD 15 has never been interested in sexy costumes. At 12, she dressed up like her male school principal (which he thought was hilarious.) At 13, she put together a Goth outfit that made me a little uncomfortable not because it was "sexy" so much as it hit home to me how grown up she was getting. The next year though, she was a baby in footed pajamas and pigtails and so I felt much better lol. This past year a bunch of her friends got together to be Disney heroines but they all went for home-made authentic Disney princess costumes... very few actually bought them pre-made and none bought the sexy versions they sell at costume shops. 

All you can really do is say "no." If she has a fit, she has a fit. If she refuses to wear anything else, well, then she doesn't get a costume. You could offer to make one with her so she could be more original. You could point out that she'd not be allowed to wear the costume to any school events. It just may be one of those not-so-fun parenting moments so hugs in advance!

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
#3 of 9 Old 07-26-2012, 08:47 AM

I've grown up with several girls who loved Halloween, or Christmas too much.  I'd be thinking "Oh, move on already".  I'm over a holiday the second it's over.

But, the sexy anything would not even be up for discussion with me.  They can love the dark scary parts of Halloween, but sexy is not going to happen in my house.  Not even if they pay for it.

Basically, if they are young enough to trick or treat, they are too young for sexy.  If they are old enough to get into a night club, then they can dress however they want.

#4 of 9 Old 07-26-2012, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the encouraging words!

#5 of 9 Old 07-26-2012, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nextcommercial View Post

Basically, if they are young enough to trick or treat, they are too young for sexy.  If they are old enough to get into a night club, then they can dress however they want.

That's pretty much brilliant. 

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#6 of 9 Old 07-27-2012, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Great answer!

We do homemade Halloween costumes, so that would not happen here. About the Halloween obsession - this spring we went to a Halloween birthday party...in April, so your daughter is definitely not alone! :-)

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (15) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#7 of 9 Old 08-04-2012, 07:27 PM

My dd was a "dark angel" for halloween last year, and I guess someone might call it "sexy" but that wasn't the goal.  Basically, I bought some black wings with red glitter at JoAnne fabrics and three yards of black lace which I cut a hole in for her to slip the elastic from the wings through and wrap around her shoulders and arms.  she wore the wings and lace with a black sundress under the lace.  I guess the purpose of this description is that you can create something goth and attractive that might make a 12yo happy without actually being revealing in any way. 

I then furthur kept the image innocent by dressing her 6yo niece as a white angel who was with her trick or treating.

OTOH she has agreed to be done with trick or treating if we go to a haunted cavern this year

#8 of 9 Old 08-21-2012, 08:00 PM

agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nex

But, the sexy anything would not even be up for discussion with me.  They can love the dark scary parts of Halloween, but sexy is not going to happen in my house.  Not even if they pay for it. young enough to trick or treat, they are too young for sexy. 

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#9 of 9 Old 08-22-2012, 08:52 AM

This doesn't seem to be about halloween as much as her wanting to wear something sexy.  When I was in Grade 7/8/9 for some reason a few of my friends would dress up as prostitutes.   They were more covered than those costumes.

Tags
Pre Teens , Teens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page