How would you handle this? *maybe triggery?* - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 79 Old 10-08-2012, 04:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Call the police and newspapers. The school is facilitating sexual predators and protecting them. That is disgusting and illegal.
Juvysen likes this.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#62 of 79 Old 10-08-2012, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The police really don't care and have taken a very firm stance that there's nothing they can do because it's an administrative matter. Right now we're focusing on finding families in the school that have had similar problems, and talking to them. So far, we've found several that would talk to us but none that will admit anything happened to the police or press or to sue. Some have let the administrators convince them everything was the victim's fault. Some just want to forget it ever happened. Unless we can find other families willing to speak up, it's the word of the school, the predators and their families, the other victim and his family...against our son's word. There's no case, and no story. 

Affordable organics delivered from GREEN POLKADOT BOX

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Mama to guitar.gif Crash (14) and hippie.gifSpritely (12)

#63 of 79 Old 10-08-2012, 08:33 AM

That is why sexual assault victims don't talk about their experiences. I am so angry for your son I am crying. I've had police officers tell me, "Well what else did you expect?" when someone spiked my drink and raped me. I am so sorry.

I would tell the press anyway. I would talk to reporter after reporter until I found someone who would write the story of a school that is sending predators off to prey on young children. That's disgusting. I would probably stand in front of the school with large signs.

But I have a lot of rage about no one caring about me being raped. I don't know what you should do. I am so angry for your son. 

I am so fucking tired of living in a world that tells me that I have no right to believe my genitals should be safe for me. I'm so sorry.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#64 of 79 Old 10-08-2012, 08:36 AM

The other victim and his family are still in the school and denying it? How long has this kind of thing been going on? Any chance of finding someone who left the school to stand with you?
Juvysen likes this.
#65 of 79 Old 10-08-2012, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I can't believe how far reaching this is! Are the two girls the only perpetrators, or have there been others? This is a shocking case of groupthink. Please keep working on this and get this exposed. Call 60 minutes. Tell them the other families are afraid to speak up, that the police don't care.

Mama to: Asterbanana.gif ,          Augustblueman.gif,              Emmett:nut.gif,              Ruthie: kiss.gif

Step mom to Malakiesuperhero.gif, Cameron af.gif, and Aurelia partytime.gif
#66 of 79 Old 10-08-2012, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm shocked that the girls weren't suspended or something.  Wtf.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#67 of 79 Old 10-08-2012, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

From what I can tell, we're just a random point on a ripple effect. It sounds like the older girl was abused (don't know if it was related to the school), and when she met the younger girl she started coercing her into sexual situations and behaviors. This was over 3 years ago. The earliest victim who's family I've spoken with had this start for him about 3 years ago. In his case, it's still ongoing and the parents, administrators, etc. discipline him for lying if he ever tries to avoid the girls or say he's unwilling. (we did report this to the police and cps. They feel that it wouldn't happen if he didn't want it. >=/ ) It seems like the older girl and/or both girls were assaulting young boys at school events for at least the last 3 years. They are not the only predators though, as several of the boys they assaulted began mimicking their behaviors to even younger boys and sometimes girls. There are a couple cases that seem to trace back to an even older boy that has since graduated...and that may have caused the same kind of ripple effect. The older girl that assaulted my son may have even been one of his victims. The ages, locations, and timelines all fit for that. This may have been going on, with the administrations knowledge, for as long as 5 - 8 years. They've certainly been covering it for at least 3.

I do intend to go to the press, but I think they're more likely to care if I have something other than my son's word to give them....so, that's what I'm working on right now. The fact is that our society just doesn't care. Our cultural standard is to blame the victim for both being abused and standing up to their abusers. If I'm going to take this on, I want to go in as well armed as possible.

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

#68 of 79 Old 10-08-2012, 03:40 PM

I am speechless. What a horror show. I cringe thinking of all the families who may have been affected but were afraid to come forward.

Good for you, OP, for continuing to fight this. As a mom I know how very precious one's time and energy are, and I applaud you for spending some of that energy on this important issue. Your son and your family will be the better for it, regardless of the outcome with the school.

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#69 of 79 Old 10-08-2012, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

jaw.gif dizzy.gif bigeyes.gif WOW!!! just wow!!!

all these years and so many children mecry.gif

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#70 of 79 Old 10-08-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by incorrigible View Post

From what I can tell, we're just a random point on a ripple effect. It sounds like the older girl was abused (don't know if it was related to the school), and when she met the younger girl she started coercing her into sexual situations and behaviors. This was over 3 years ago. The earliest victim who's family I've spoken with had this start for him about 3 years ago. In his case, it's still ongoing and the parents, administrators, etc. discipline him for lying if he ever tries to avoid the girls or say he's unwilling. (we did report this to the police and cps. They feel that it wouldn't happen if he didn't want it. >=/ ) It seems like the older girl and/or both girls were assaulting young boys at school events for at least the last 3 years. They are not the only predators though, as several of the boys they assaulted began mimicking their behaviors to even younger boys and sometimes girls. There are a couple cases that seem to trace back to an even older boy that has since graduated...and that may have caused the same kind of ripple effect. The older girl that assaulted my son may have even been one of his victims. The ages, locations, and timelines all fit for that. This may have been going on, with the administrations knowledge, for as long as 5 - 8 years. They've certainly been covering it for at least 3.

I do intend to go to the press, but I think they're more likely to care if I have something other than my son's word to give them....so, that's what I'm working on right now. The fact is that our society just doesn't care. Our cultural standard is to blame the victim for both being abused and standing up to their abusers. If I'm going to take this on, I want to go in as well armed as possible.

I am so sorry that this happened to your son and if something similar happened to my child I would be through the roof angry about it, especially considering the fact that none of the authorities seems to think it warrants any kind of attention.

I absolutely don't mean to minimize what happened to your son in any way, but I have felt so uncomfortable with the word "predator" and some of the other language used about the girls throughout this thread. The tragedy here is that these kids, all of them, have been victimized. Sadly, one result of their victimization is that they are now unable or don't know how to be safe around other kids. My guess is that these girls didn't have the sort of relationship w their parents that your son did which made it possible for him to let you know and for you to go to bat for him. While I can totally understand being angry at what they did, I cannot see them as evil and terrible. They are just kids who have been victims in this themselves.

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

#71 of 79 Old 10-09-2012, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post

I am so sorry that this happened to your son and if something similar happened to my child I would be through the roof angry about it, especially considering the fact that none of the authorities seems to think it warrants any kind of attention.
I absolutely don't mean to minimize what happened to your son in any way, but I have felt so uncomfortable with the word "predator" and some of the other language used about the girls throughout this thread. The tragedy here is that these kids, all of them, have been victimized. Sadly, one result of their victimization is that they are now unable or don't know how to be safe around other kids. My guess is that these girls didn't have the sort of relationship w their parents that your son did which made it possible for him to let you know and for you to go to bat for him. While I can totally understand being angry at what they did, I cannot see them as evil and terrible. They are just kids who have been victims in this themselves.

When I was a child I was the predator. I didn't go after younger kids, I like my age or a little older. My father started raping me when I was a toddler. I started handing out neighborhood blowjobs at three.

I think people need to press this kind of situation. I was never helped. I never had anyone who was willing to make me understand how hurtful I was being. As an adult I have had contact with some of my "playmates" and I know that some of them believe I was a rapist. I should have gotten in trouble in some way. I needed it.

Ignoring these girls and letting it continue is poisonous. I don't know what to do about the fact that it is better for everyone to get caught and get some re-education. Obviously they don't understand boundaries. They really need to learn. It is bloody hard t have to go learn these lessons in the school of hard knocks. I have the scars to prove it.

#72 of 79 Old 10-09-2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post

They ARE predators. They also are victims, but that doesn't make them any less sexual predators. I was sexually abused for a long time as a child, and I never sexually assaulted or abused anyone else. They do *not* have to respond in the way they are. That doesn't mean there's no room for compassion or rehabilitation for them, but we NEED to call them what they are so that people can see the truth. The Sandusky scandal had, I hoped, opened some people's eyes to just how much people who think they're good and moral enable sexual abuse, and a lot of that is because people are loathe to call sexual abusers what they are because it is so distasteful. I think this case has the added effect of female perpetrators - male victims. If a girl were to be coerced into performing oral sex on an older teen, no one would say "well, they're just kids who have been victims." We would say "no, that is not acceptable. What they did is sexual assault." These girls are sexual predators any way you slice it. They seek out younger, timid boys who are unlikely to be able to fight back much. That's what predators do. They target their victims; they're not chosen at random.

OP, I feel enraged for your son! His story mimics what I'm sure many of us who've been the victims of sexual assault feel. People in charge often don't care, and that certainly includes police. The response we got from our police chief was "but I've known him and his family for years. They'll always help people out." Yes, but they'll also rape them. One doesn't preclude the other, but most people are conditioned by the idea of the creepy child molester and cannot see that complexity. Besides the press, I would consider going to a local rape crisis center. They may be able to provide other assistance and connect you with the right people. I also agree with a pp that trying to find other families who left because of the abuse could be useful - but tough.  

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
#73 of 79 Old 10-09-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightkindofme View Post

Ignoring these girls and letting it continue is poisonous. I don't know what to do about the fact that it is better for everyone to get caught and get some re-education. Obviously they don't understand boundaries. They really need to learn. It is bloody hard t have to go learn these lessons in the school of hard knocks. I have the scars to prove it.

I absolutely agree with this and I think it is criminal that the school has knowingly let things snowball the way they have.  I by no means think the girls should be allowed to continue the way they are.  But I cannot imagine someone referring to a little three year old you as a predator.  Rather than punish and vilify that three year old, I think we should be finding ways to support and nurture and fix her.  It sounds to me like you've pretty much done that all by yourself and, while it's laudable that you've done it, it's horrifying to me that this is how we treat kids in our society.  I am not arguing that your little three year old self and these girls don't fit the technical definition of predator, I just think it is shameful that our impulse is to vilify them rather than ask what they need to be fixed and whole and healthy and to not hurt others.  The not hurt others part is hugely important to me.  Not calling them predators, to me, is not the same thing as saying it's okay for them to victimize other people.  

I don't think it's the genders of the participants that is making me feel this way.  There was another thread here recently about a ten year old boy exposing himself and I was equally horrified by similar language used about him.  

When I first read the replies to my post, I thought, I shouldn't respond because I haven't had the experience of being victimized like these other posters and I should respect their positions (I do btw, respect your positions, even where I don't hold the same ones myself).  And then I remember that I had been raped.  Duh.  And I think my situation actually had a lot in common with what happened to OP's son, though I was a little older and there was actual intercourse involved.  But I actually think the person who did it probably had a very similar attitude to the girls.  I really do think that he didn't "mean any harm" and didn't think he was hurting me.  He was very freaked out to realize that I didn't like it once he got it in, not so much that he stopped, but still.  He was surprised that I didn't want to "go out with him again" (we weren't on a date).  I was and am angry that it happened and angry that he did it.  Mostly I was scared that he'd come back (and he did, breaking into my apartment and leaving me notes when I wasn't there).  But I always had room in my thinking about him to see his humanity, even on the day it happened.  I would never refer to him as a predator even though I feel that what he did was profoundly wrong and I'm sure that he fits the technical definition.  I would much rather see him taken care of and fixed than punished, though the bottom line is that he should be stopped.  I would not expect anyone else to refrain from calling an adult rapist a predator, but I do feel sad and uncomfortable about these children, even though what they did was also profoundly wrong, being called predators.  And rightkindofme, you can call yourself a predator all day long, but I am not going to think of you that way.  

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

#74 of 79 Old 10-09-2012, 12:12 PM

Good for you for not just walking away and leaving this situation!  It is really hard to stand up for what is right sometimes and its terrific that you are trying to protect others as well as your son!  YOU GO GIRL!!!

#75 of 79 Old 10-09-2012, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by incorrigible View Post
The superintendent and school board both say the school isn't responsible for the students, even at fully sanctioned school events.

Wow, that sounds like total BS.

I have been following your story, and I'm so sorry you are going through this. Stay strong.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#76 of 79 Old 11-03-2012, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

incorrigible, how are you and your family doing? I think of you often.

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#77 of 79 Old 11-03-2012, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Earlier today I would have said we were doing great. I just finished a huge blow out fight, followed by a big huggy cry fest with Crash, though. *sigh* Things aren't horrible, but they're still harder than they should be, you know? 

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

#78 of 79 Old 11-05-2012, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

Sending support your way! hug.gif

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#79 of 79 Old 11-05-2012, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

thanks

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Tags
Teens

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page