Early start times in middle school/high school... anyone else? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 09-13-2012, 08:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Btw.. it was interesting as someone once told me that someone else was trying to solve the apparent "we need

to get the kids at this and this time to school because the buses are needed for other levels thing.."

Some parent suggested to give parents flexible starting time as in - those who need to drop of kids

and like to drop off kids or those who need busses might do so at ungodly hours of 6am or whatever

and let the kids to do some research work at the library or get them some BS class in the morning

to keep them busy and for those who wants to start their kids as biology requires at 8 or so

would bring their offspring accordingly.

It is when you find a really good solution and easy solution then you see that it

is not at all about buses or logistics, it is just NO because NO.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 38 Old 09-13-2012, 08:52 AM

That is why so many parents are indeed homeschooling at HS level. no violence at schools, no bus issues,

no other problems.. and at home a kid can stay by himself and do online classes.

I have met so many parents that were like.. we so love it. and the kids do so much better on

standarized tests because they can learn at home online at their pace and not go to all kinds

of nonsense classes with teachers who do not teach. it is in many cases waste of time.

#33 of 38 Old 09-13-2012, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaPrincess View Post

That is why so many parents are indeed homeschooling at HS level. no violence at schools, no bus issues,

no other problems.. and at home a kid can stay by himself and do online classes.

I have met so many parents that were like.. we so love it. and the kids do so much better on

standarized tests because they can learn at home online at their pace and not go to all kinds

of nonsense classes with teachers who do not teach. it is in many cases waste of time.

And I've met lots of other parents like us, who used to homeschool and now have their kids in Jr. High or High School -- because their kids do so much better with the energy of the whole class rather than slogging through the material alone. Because they learn more easily with qualified teachers who are passionate about their subjects. Because their kids were lonely and wanted out of solitary. I know several former homeschoolers who quite after years of trying to help their kids make solid social connects and ended up realizing it's much easier to make friends if you are where their are other people, and you are working on things with them.

And I kinda hate how everything turns into a homeschooling debate on mothering. It's gets old. It's nice it's working for you. It doesn't work for ALL kids. It's not perfect. Actually, sometimes it's pretty screwed up.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#34 of 38 Old 09-14-2012, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaPrincess View Post

Huh... Neither of my kids took nonsense classes in HS. Nor did they have teachers who did not teach. Please don't malign all of the good and dedicated teachers to promote your own agenda.

#35 of 38 Old 09-14-2012, 06:47 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post

And I kinda hate how everything turns into a homeschooling debate on mothering. It's gets old. It's nice it's working for you. It doesn't work for ALL kids.

I agree.

None-the-less, I think HSing is somewhat relevant here, and this is why:

If the evidence weighs heavily in favour of late start times, and schools decide to implement later start time, being flexible around such things as cyber schooling would be one solution.  School could run  from 9-4, with the option of cyber schooling the last class if you want to.  Alternately, they could start early, but kids could cyber school the first class. While our school board allows cyber schooling on paper, the reality is it is set up in such a way that it is quite difficult to access.  Schedules tend to rotate, which means you cannot always start late or finnish early, moreover, you need the schools permission to take a cyber-class - and they do not give it out easily.  Offering genuine options around cyber school/traditional school hybrids would be helpful for some kids, particularly those adversely affected by early or late start times.

I think discussions of HSing and traditional schooling can be very polarising.  It does not have to exclusively be one or the other for everybody.

While I disagree with Mamaprincess on her off-topic anti-school rant, I think she is onto something with regards to why they have not gone to late start time.  All the evidence I have seen (as in studies - not opinions) seem to say that late start times are better for teens.  And yet, we persist in teens starting school at 7:00 a.m.  School boards are putting other priorities over the needs of its high school students in this regard. Please note I am saying school boards - not teachers.  I do no think it always comes down to budget or technicalities (items they could and should creatively problems solve around).   I do think it sometimes comes down to maintaining the status quo as it is easier.  

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#36 of 38 Old 09-14-2012, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Back in the Dark Ages when I was in high school, it started at 8:30. Actually all my schools started at 8:30 and got out at 3:30 except for my one year of middle school, 8th grade, which started at 8am.

Here and now, my dd2's elementary school starts at 7:50am w/ early drop off at 7:30 and goes until 2:30. Our local middle schools start at 8:20 and go to 3:10 and high schools go from 8:45 to 3:50. 

My dd2 goes to a charter middle/high school that starts at 8:30 and dismisses at 3:30.

We are all night owls and late risers, so the elementary school start time is hard enough for us. I can't imagine some of the times y'all are talking about. 8:30 works for me, but there have definitely been times when I thought 9:30 might be nice. The schools here do have a 2 hr delay as teacher work period once each month and we love the late days.

I haven't heard anyone complain about the start times except other late risers like me who complain about the early elementary school times.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#37 of 38 Old 09-15-2012, 02:39 PM

Our district solved the sequential bus use problem seveal years ago by following the late start data. All the elementaries start at 8am, then the middle schools start at 9, and I think the high school starts a bit later (they can save on buses because more kids have to be bused to elementaries based on the different rules for distance from school for elementary vs secondary students).

It's been that way for five or six years now, and seems to work well for most people. I haven't seen numbers on whether it actually improved attendance as it is supposed to, though.

I like it. My kids were both early birds as little kids (always up with the birds, literally, no matter how late we kept them up) but my son is slowly doing the classic tween/teen thing of sleeping later and later and going to bed later, so that later start is clearly better for him.

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

#38 of 38 Old 09-24-2012, 12:05 AM

My kids just started in public schools this year in 5th grade (Middle School here) and 2nd grade.  We had homeschooled up until our move here.  The early start times have been a huge adjustment.  When we homeschooled, my kids slept until they woke up.  One child has a steady body clock and was up by 8:00 every day.  The other child fluctuated between 8:30 and 10:00 wake-up.  I do see that as a huge benefit of homeschooling.  My kids were usually well-rested and had plenty of energy throughout the day.

Now they both get up at 6:50.  Middle School starts at 7:25 and Elementary School starts at 8:00.  The High School has the latest start time of 8:25.  At the Elementary School, the kids are expected to take their AR (Accelerated Reader) quizzes before school starts.  They also have one day for each grade to walk or run on the track.  We leave at 7:10 to drive the carpool.

Both kids have dark circles under their eyes by late afternoon.  My never-ever-nap kid conks out on the couch several evenings a week.  My kids *love* school, but the early start time definitely takes its toll.  We're still working on an earlier bedtime, but it's difficult after so many years of following my night-owl schedule.

So far we've made it 1 1/2 months into the school year without any illness.  I hope that we can keep that streak going.  I can see that a lack of sleep could certainly lead to greater risk of illness.

On the positive side, the early start times get the kids out of school earlier.  This makes it easier for me to fill my violin/viola studio and still spend some time with my own kids.

Tags
Pre Teens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page