Did your daughter get her period younger than you? (RESPONSE SURVEY) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 09-21-2012, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It does seem to be a trend and I wanted to do a survey (just a post reply survey) to find out if it is tending to be true for all of you. My daughter is still 11 and period-less so I'm thinking she may not start too much earlier than I did (I was almost thirteen). Obviously it could still happen. I do think she'll probably go a half year sooner than I did. For other families it seems their daughters are starting sooner than them. I would love a discussion about this too. :)

#2 of 33 Old 09-21-2012, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
No. My daughter got her period almost the exact year and month I did. I was 10 years 6 months. She was 10 years and four months.
#3 of 33 Old 09-21-2012, 11:02 AM

Mine was a little bit older than I was. I was younger than my mom. My mom's mom was younger than all three of us.

#4 of 33 Old 09-21-2012, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My dd was a couple months after me. I was surprised, as he father's side of the family (mother, sister, cousins) all started very early at 9.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#5 of 33 Old 09-21-2012, 11:15 AM

Yes, by about 10 or 11 months.  I had just turned 12 and dd got hers 2 months after her 11th birthday

#6 of 33 Old 09-21-2012, 11:22 AM

Dd started her period pretty close to the same age I was when mine started.

I have no idea how old my mom was when her period started but my sister started hers at a later age than I did.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#7 of 33 Old 09-21-2012, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

No, I started mine at 12 and DD was 14 before hers started.

We are totally different body types and were raised on a different diet.

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
#8 of 33 Old 09-21-2012, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
One the same age, one older than me.

My mother was younger than me.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#9 of 33 Old 09-21-2012, 02:07 PM

Within days (both 12 years, 11 months) of when I started mine.

#10 of 33 Old 09-21-2012, 05:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)

Yes and no. I started at 13, DD#1 started at 12 3/4, but didn't have another period until she was 14. DD#2 hasn't started her period yet, she turns 15 next week.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#11 of 33 Old 09-22-2012, 09:27 AM

At the same age, to the month. 12 years 9 months for both of us.

#12 of 33 Old 09-22-2012, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Would you all say your daughter's diets are healthier than the average kid today? Maybe that statistic just isn't true when the girls are having a healthier diet (the statistic about girls starting earlier than their mothers). I do think my daughter, though her face looks like me a lot, has a slightly different body type than me. Still, I think she'll make it another year before she starts her period. 

Thanks for all the responses. It's very interesting to read. 

#13 of 33 Old 09-22-2012, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Soltera View Post

Would you all say your daughter's diets are healthier than the average kid today? Maybe that statistic just isn't true when the girls are having a healthier diet (the statistic about girls starting earlier than their mothers). I do think my daughter, though her face looks like me a lot, has a slightly different body type than me. Still, I think she'll make it another year before she starts her period. 

I guess I would say that. DD has been raised a vegetarian and while not full vegan, consumes much smaller quantities of animal products on a whole. I do think her fruit and vegetable intake is higher than most her peers but believe me, she's still eats plenty of junk and we're not always great about the whole grains (too many yummy but useless carbs in our diet for sure.)

I think a lot of factors are at play with DD. Genetically, she has my DH's family body type... built just like my DH and 3 SIL's all long and lean unlike my short curvy build. The fact that her growth spurts never matched her peers and thus just on a later physical development schedule generally. Her diet... not a lot of unnatural hormone intake from meats and dairy. Her activity level (runner, dancer, rock climber) has kept her body fat levels low and her muscle mass high.

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
#14 of 33 Old 09-22-2012, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My daughter was raised with a much better diet than I was. I'm from the deep South. A lot of fried foods, sugary foods and heaping carbs at every meal. My daughter has had organic milk, veggies and organic dairy products and other organics that I could afford. She has also eaten more raw veggies and less carbs than I did growing up and I limited their sweets to one sweet a day.
#15 of 33 Old 09-22-2012, 09:50 PM

Nope. I started at 9 1/2. My daughter started at 13. But she is also an athlete, and that does affect her cycle.

#16 of 33 Old 09-22-2012, 11:16 PM

I was 12, DD1 was 9, DD2 was 12, my mom was 10. DD1 is asthmatic and was on awful corticosteroids for years, which surely impacted her adrenal function. greensad.gif

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#17 of 33 Old 09-23-2012, 04:32 AM

Quote:

Dd's body type is pretty similar to mine as a child- lower than average body weight- but my sister had the same body type and got her period later. None of us were athletic.

Dd's diet might be better than other kids. Most of her meals are eaten at home and we probably have less processed food, junk food, and soda pop on hand. I think dd might eat better in some ways but worse in others than I did as a child.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#18 of 33 Old 09-23-2012, 11:55 PM

I was 12, but my daughter had only just turned 10. She started to develop breast buds and public hair at around 8. I'm a teacher and the girls are getting younger and younger. When my daughter started at such a young age, well to be honest, I was horrified...she was still playing with dolls. Of course I hid my attitude and we celebrated by allowing her to choose a restaurant to celebrate at. What were we celebrating...the fact that she was one day going to be able to have children. I told her about all the positives and how some young women never got their periods and couldn't be mothers.

Unfortunately as she got older, her periods got worse. She is now 16 and is on the pill to try to control the pain (this has worked). Before going on the pill, she suffered terribly, vomiting over several hours, she couldn't take any pain medication because she would vomit it up straight away. The pain was horrific and she would cry and moan in pain for hours on end. Every month she had to miss 2 days at school. I hope that this doesn't happen to any of you. Doctor says this type of pain does happen with up to 5% of women. Fortunately for the first 4 years she had relatively painless periods. Good luck, I hope none of you experience this.

#19 of 33 Old 10-02-2012, 02:47 PM

I got my period at 10 yrs 10 months, my dd is currently 12 years 10 months, and she is still very slim and wears a AA cup bra.  She has a little pubic hair.  She is 5'6' though and has been growing fast so I imagine it will be soon.  My mom was 11, my grandma 13.  We were all raised on pretty much the same diet.

Heather, mama to Harriet, Crispin, in with Tom and 2
#20 of 33 Old 10-03-2012, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
 For other families it seems their daughters are starting sooner than them. I would love a discussion about this too. :)

Have they asked their female in-laws when they had their first periods? You can't draw any conclusions about diet vs genetics if you are just looking at one side of the family.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#21 of 33 Old 10-04-2012, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:

to be very honest with you i think diet plays a v. small part in this. when you say diet you are really talking about the chemicals that we are ingesting right?

i think diet is just one tiny part of the ingesting. there is just too much around us to be able to pick out one variable and blame it on that. 

look at how many pee plastic. even with good 'things' like diet, environment there are traces of plastic in their pee. 

unless you lived off the grid in far off remote places. 

dd has her fathers body type and emotions and food habits. but she looks like me. if she follows in my footsteps she should start her periods in 3 months time. she is there with all signs of puberty except periods. including mood swings. i now have a starter pack just to be safe. quite a few girls in her 5th grade class have started. some in 4th. i too started in 5th. 

i look like my mom. have body type like my dad and temperament like my dad. in his family the girls started later. but i followed my mom's girly health to a T. 

i have no idea what its like on exh's side, since it was all boys and mil cant remember it was so long ago. she cant remember if she started at 13 or 17. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#22 of 33 Old 10-15-2012, 12:04 AM

I'm curious about this as well...I've read things about hormones in inorganic dairy and meat products playing a part and my dd has had her share of those so I'm hoping it won't have been enough to throw her body's natural  pattern off...

#23 of 33 Old 10-16-2012, 05:51 PM

I was nearly 14, my dd was 11.  However, dd was highly irregular for 18 months.  I may have also started much later because I was a serious athlete and had very low body fat. 

#24 of 33 Old 10-17-2012, 03:43 PM

Well this is timely! My daughter just started her first period last week. She is only 2 months younger than I was when I got mine, and oddly enough we both got our first periods on Columbus Day.

16yo DS; 13yo DD; 9yo DS

#25 of 33 Old 10-20-2012, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildflower View Post

I'm curious about this as well...I've read things about hormones in inorganic dairy and meat products playing a part and my dd has had her share of those so I'm hoping it won't have been enough to throw her body's natural  pattern off...

I think there are lots of healthier meat and dairy choices these days to where this doesn't have to be too big of an issue. I think people focus so much on this they forget about things like soy, which really does affect the hormones. I have known many women (including myself) who suffered major hormone issues and consequences from soy products. I worry the most about formula, both dairy and soy based. When that is all an infant is consuming and it's usually all through (heated) plastic. 

Quote:Originally Posted by meemee View Post

look at how many pee plastic. even with good 'things' like diet, environment there are traces of plastic in their pee. 

That is pretty disturbing. I have so many people tell me now though how they're using the safe kind of plastic so there's no negative effect to their health. 

And I agree with you that it's not so simple as how did you eat compared to your daughter. But it is common knowledge that girls are starting their periods younger and younger (whether it is in fact true or not) so I wanted to see if that is seeming to be true here. Then I realized that, compared to the general population, the families on this website likely eat a much healthier diet. So even if it's not true here (that girls are starting their periods younger) it still may be true about the nation as a whole.

#26 of 33 Old 10-21-2012, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:

That is pretty disturbing. I have so many people tell me now though how they're using the safe kind of plastic so there's no negative effect to their health. 

And I agree with you that it's not so simple as how did you eat compared to your daughter. But it is common knowledge that girls are starting their periods younger and younger (whether it is in fact true or not) so I wanted to see if that is seeming to be true here. Then I realized that, compared to the general population, the families on this website likely eat a much healthier diet. So even if it's not true here (that girls are starting their periods younger) it still may be true about the nation as a whole.

I think what is happening, and I am convinced this is environmental, is puberty is beginning significantly earlier, as in 5 or 6 years old. By puberty, I mean, body odor and underarm and public hair etc. This does not translate into menstruation starting significantly earlier than the previous generation. Having a daughter developing pubic hair at this age, must be devastating for a mother, seeing her child being deprived of their childhood way before their time. 

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#27 of 33 Old 11-02-2012, 01:24 PM

I don't have daughters.. but.. I was 11 when I got mine. My sister is 12 years older than me and was 16 when she got hers. A young girl that I help take care of just started getting hair, so it's likely she won't get hers until closer to 14. However, I was also much heavier set than the girl I help take care of. My sister and I were built very similarly(actually, a lot of people still confuse us.. I had a lady in the store once ask me if I was her... I had another one apologize to me because she thought I was someone else based on my voice, when I asked if she knew my sister, she admitted that in fact, that was who she had mistaken me for and asked if I'd tell my sister she said hi).

So..

Me ~ Born 1993 ~ Period: 11 years and 2 months

Sister ~ Born 1981 ~ Period: 16 years

Little Girl ~ Born 2000 ~ Period: TBA 

#28 of 33 Old 11-03-2012, 02:13 PM

I got mine at 9.5 my oldest DD at 13,my middle DD at 14 and my youngest is only 7 and has not started.

Sharon wife to my hero James and  momma to Kaitlyn 17, Tayler 15 and Anna 7.fur momma to Kami  pit/boxer mix.

#29 of 33 Old 11-05-2012, 06:31 PM
AAK

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Unless my oldest starts in the next month, she will not be earlier than I was.  I started about 6 weeks before I turned 13.  DD turns 13 at the end of January.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#30 of 33 Old 11-09-2012, 07:38 PM

Just came across this thread by accident - I don't have a preteen, my DD is just turning 7 - but the thread title caught my eye and I remember seeing research on factors behind early menarche and one of the strongest factors seems to be paternal presence and function.

Another paper on this

And another

There are more, but none are exactly brilliant prose and scintillating reading.  Point is, diet and environmental contaminants aren't the only things that affect maturation - as social animals, our biological development responds to environmental cues from our social milieu as well.  Also, these are studies, they employ statistical methods to develop population-level predictions, so it doesn't necessarily mean that if YOU'RE divorced, YOUR child is going to hit puberty early.  But, it's something to think about.  How many of the moms here who reported their daughters' periods starting later than their own had absent/dysfunctional fathers, but are currently in stable relationships with their children's fathers?  Just curious smile.gif

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

Tags
Pre Teens , Teens

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page