Travel Destinations - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-02-2012, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How much does your children influence your families travel destinations?

#2 of 4 Old 11-02-2012, 01:29 PM

Well, normally when we go on family vacations, it's for something that the whole family can enjoy. The kids give input and ideas, but ultimately, the decisions are left to the adults.

#3 of 4 Old 11-03-2012, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)

A little bit.

My older daughter only wants to visit really large cities (New York city comes to mind), where as others in this house prefer more nature oriented vacations.

We have thought of doubling up  - hitting the Adirondacks for a few days, then NYC, but people do not like that idea either.   

It is tough.  I usually accept input, but ultimately decide. I do try to balance everyones needs - and they do get quite a bit of say once they are at the destination.  The outlet shops are not my idea of fun - but they are DD's, so off we went.  My kids are lucky they get as many vacations as they do - and I try to keep that in mind (i.e no whining that you are on a beach in Nova Scotia instead of a hotel in NYC…it is very entitled)

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#4 of 4 Old 11-05-2012, 07:20 AM

A fair amount. They decided on where we would go on the last couple of family trips. They wanted to go to New York city and I wanted to go to Mexico and lie on a beach. 

If DH and I decide on a travel destination, we keep in mind what is available for the kids and what they would enjoy. When we are planning specifics, the kids get a lot of input on choosing activities and attractions. 

A few years ago, we traveled around New Zealand. We took in a fair number of Lord of the Rings sites and some adventure experiences (zorb, luge) that I might not have chosen if it was just DH and me. We skipped the vineyards entirely, to my ever-lasting regret, because they were too young to drink. OTOH, I don't think they would have chosen to spend as much time in the botanical gardens or other such places if DH and I hadn't taken them there. 

I figure a vacation should be fun for all members of the family. That means everyone gets some input and everyone does a little compromising. 

Tags
Pre Teens , Teens

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page