difficult morning with dd1, 8yo - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 11-19-2012, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think dd1 has been going through some hormonal ups and downs lately.  She has been tough to deal with- very emotional, mean to me(her mom), and demanding.  However, it is so hard for me to tell b/c she has always been a difficult child for me to deal with.  Last night, dd2  who is 6yo, was sick with fever and had night terrors throughout the night.  I was up all night with her and it was scary.  Dd1 woke up this morning and after hearing what her sister had been through she started trying to get everyones attention in really negative ways.  She seemed really jealous that her sister was getting taken care of and receiving a lot of attention.  She threw a huge fit about finishing her homework before going to school and she kept saying dd2 wasn't sick.  Her behavior really bothered me and I got pretty angry at her for being so self centered.  My husband dealt with her pretty well and got her to do her homework after about 30 minutes of her crying about it.  

Is this kind of thing normal?  I was pretty blown away by how blatantly self absorbed she was being.  Is that a first child trait?  Any advice for how to deal with this kind of thing and also how to deal with a daughter who is really rude to you?  She rolls her eyes, tells me I am stupid, will argue about a rule I make for hours, etc.  

I am going to reread "How to Talk..." and try some "Love and Logic" techniques...However, my mom has told me she feels we should do some family counseling with her b/c she thinks her behavior will only get worse.  I felt my mom's statement was a bit harsh... what do you all think?

Thanks

Tags
Pre Teens

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page