Eco-friendly & tween-friendly makeup recommendations? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-26-2012, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 11-year-old twin girls are a bit interested in makeup (they wear it only at home) but I hate all the crap that is out there. I hardly wear makeup and I was wondering if there are any companies that specialize in tween/teen skin issues and are also non-toxic, eco-friendly, etc.

Any suggestions? Sorry if this has been discussed already but I've been away from the boards for quite a while.

Best,

Julie

Julie, mom to my beautiful twin girls twins.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Burt's Bees tinted lip balm:

http://www.burtsbees.com/natural-products/lips/

I use this foundation when I occasionally wear makeup, but at 11 they probably don't want or need it (looks like they have other products, too, though):

http://www.physiciansformula.com/en-us/product-line/organic-wear.html

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (15) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

Old 12-19-2012, 08:03 AM

I suggest checking out the body shop, (online store if not in your area), they have a lot of Eco-friendly stuff, even if a lot of it is body washes and that. They have a little make up there. I also suggest checking out NaturesKnockout on YouTube, for they have a lot of sites that would be good to look at for me Eco and tween friendly.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

KittyProblems - Thanks for reminding me about the Body Shop! I keep forgetting that as an option! I have a thirteen year old who is also interested in light makeup and needs body care stuff - she prefers natural stuff, too.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (15) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

Old 12-28-2012, 05:48 AM

It makes my skin feel a whole lot better, and I find because it's natural, I don't get reactions to it. I mean, I react to a lot of products, but not body shop stuff because of the natural oils and that
Old 12-28-2012, 08:10 PM

That's Burt's Beestinted lipslick stuff is amazeballs. 

I'm a makeup junkie.

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

Old 12-28-2012, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Not really "teen friendly", but I love Alima Pure.

Bring back the old MDC
Old 01-07-2013, 02:14 PM

Even though DP and I disagree with the idea of young teens wearing makeup, we gave in when we realized it was a losing battle. DP remembered how she would sneak makeup to school and put it on in the bathroom, never having learned how to properly apply eyeshadow or foundation and ended up looking like a clown until she got the hang of it. So, we figured we might as well give them the tools they need to look appropriate for their age, and good makeup makes a huge difference. We buy mostly Urban Decay eye makeup for them, which is cruelty free and about as "natural" as any highly pigmented makeup comes. They use Neutrogena powder, which is hypoallergenic and safe for younger girls skin. We bought them a couple of books about makeup geared towards teens, the Seventeen one is really good and discusses skin care as well, which is important at this age - "covering up" as opposed to prevention. Both my DDs 12 and 15 wear eyeliner and mascara to school, the older one wears concealer daily but otherwise no heavy makeup unless there's an event happening. If you have a Sephora, I would talk to someone there, they know a lot about good products for younger teens.

(gender)queer vegetarian artist co-parenting DDs 14 & 11 with DP and TTC  little peanut #3 3rdtri.gif

Old 01-10-2013, 10:10 AM

My dd loves Geo Girl cosmetics, which as far as we can tell are only available at Walmart. They're light colors, nothing dramatic. They're great for dd to wear on weekends and such. She's not interested in wearing makeup to school yet. She also likes Burt's Bees lip color and bath/body products. The bath and body are under the name Gud, but produced by Burt's Bees.

ETA: They do have some Geo Girl products on amazon!

Old 01-29-2013, 08:27 AM

Check out this website/database for cosmetic safety rankings and ingredients to avoid     http://www.ewg.org/skindeep

Since they're reaching that age, check out this website for some info about what kinds of make-up may cause or exacerbate acne. It also has a wealth of general information about acne and advice for what I think is a rational, safe way to help avoid acne or approach treatment of it.  http://www.acne.org 

Tags
Pre Teens
User Tag List