Daughter is starting to get over weight - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 102 Old 01-11-2013, 05:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Water from the tap tastes like crap, to me. I has too much addes to be very healthy, in my opinion.

A side note on Cheetos -- their dairy cows are fed the Cheetos that are broken, or otherwise imperfect, before bagging. At least that's what their pamphlet said, 10 or so years ago. Just fyi.
#62 of 102 Old 01-11-2013, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Our massage therapist tells us that all winter we should be drinking water mixed with about 10% apple juice because that will help our dehydration better than plain water. My husbands hands no longer crack and bleed all winter so it does seem to be helpful. It's a baby step towards less sugar. :)

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#63 of 102 Old 01-11-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightkindofme View Post

Our massage therapist tells us that all winter we should be drinking water mixed with about 10% apple juice because that will help our dehydration better than plain water. My husbands hands no longer crack and bleed all winter so it does seem to be helpful. It's a baby step towards less sugar. smile.gif

Does your massage therapist have a recommendation for someone who hates apple juice? I have the problem with my hands, but can't stand apple juice!
#64 of 102 Old 01-11-2013, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pek64 View Post

Does your massage therapist have a recommendation for someone who hates apple juice? I have the problem with my hands, but can't stand apple juice!

Any 100% fruit juice is ok. (Though the ratio of how much juice to water changes a bit because some juices taste *nasty* diluted down to 10% in my opinion) The point is to get just a little bit of sugar into the water because your body absorbs more of the sugar water. The plain water often flushes through when you are already too dehydrated.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#65 of 102 Old 01-11-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:

Any 100% fruit juice is ok. (Though the ratio of how much juice to water changes a bit because some juices taste *nasty* diluted down to 10% in my opinion) The point is to get just a little bit of sugar into the water because your body absorbs more of the sugar water. The plain water often flushes through when you are already too dehydrated.

Thanks!
#66 of 102 Old 01-11-2013, 08:59 AM

In H.S. I was 5'4" and 140 lbs but far from overweight. However, your daughter's measurements do seem curvy but not necessarily overweight. Best thing I think is to lead by example. If you're going to buy crappy snacks and eat them in front of her, she's not going to stop eating the crappy snacks and jump up and eat an apple. I find it interesting that you do not know what a healthy snack is - makes me wonder what your actual meals look like then. If you dont' know that Cheetos and Cheez Its aren't healthy, do you know that refined white pasta, and tons of cheese loaded on top of your veggies isn't healthy either? What does a typical meal in your household look like?

How does one not know that an apple is healthier than a Cheeto? Regardless of the fact that you haven't had to worry about your weight and what you eat, come on, you know what is healthy - don't B.S. us! 

journeymom likes this.

Vegetarian broc1.gifmother to wave.gif(3/09) peace.gif  (11/10) and belly.gif(4/13)

#67 of 102 Old 01-11-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:

A bit of sea salt (it has to be sea salt, not refined) in water also does the trick.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#68 of 102 Old 01-11-2013, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

More great suggestions, thanks!

For the record, I don't buy potato chips or Cheetos, I think someone mentioned trying to find food that is as close to it's natural state as possible.

That's a good place to start. 

No, I'm not completely clueless when it comes to knowing what's healthy and what's not, but some things are very decieving.  For example, my daughter like Raisin Bran cereal and I was like, good, it has bran, raisins etc.  But then I noticed it had more grams of sugar per serving than Frosted Flakes!  Also, I have to admit I like Chef Boyardee, Cheeze its and Ramen noodles because they all have a long shelf life.  I can buy several and they can sit in the pantry for months without going bad.  Whereas if you don't eat fruits right away they'll go bad and then you've wasted your money.  But I just have to be more on top of it to make sure they don't go bad before they're eaten. 

And it's great to get ideas you haven't thought of from other parents!  I wouldn't have thought of rolled up deli meat or boiled eggs as snacks on my own.

I talked to my daughter the other night.  In addition to working full time I had been going to school two nights a week to get my associate's degree.  Well, I just finished that up in December so now I have more free time.  My daughter has done tennis and karate before the past and I asked if she would like to pick one of those back up since I now have the time to take her. 

I didn't say it like, 'well, you need to get active'.  I simply said, "Now that I've finished school I have more time to take you to things, would you be interested in taking karate or tennis again like you did in the past?"

She told me she liked when she played tennis and would like to pursue that more, so I'm looking into some local places that offer clinics that would be in my budget.

Storm Bride and kathymuggle like this.

Divorced mother of two DD15 and DD7
#69 of 102 Old 01-11-2013, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

I tried drinking water with my lunch today, (Marie Calendar microwave meal) and it was luke warm water temp.  I only took a few sips with the meal, but I feel so bloated now I am going to have to get a soda so I can burp out the extra air!  greensad.gif

I did notice my daughter is starting to drink water with her meals, though, so maybe it doesn't bother her the way it does me.  And NO, I did not force her to drink water, she decided to do it all on her own, yay.

I wish I could drink water with my meals, but it makes me so bloated it hurts!  Someone else had once suggested just taking sips of it throughout the day, that so I'll keep doing that, wish it didn't have this affect on me when I eat.

#70 of 102 Old 01-11-2013, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)

How about tea?  Not iced tea - but hot tea with a normal amount of sugar.  It has to be better than soda….

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#71 of 102 Old 01-11-2013, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

How about tea?  Not iced tea - but hot tea with a normal amount of sugar.  It has to be better than soda….

Doh! I forgot about tea.

I'll test that next time, see if that doesn't make me as gassy.

txs

#72 of 102 Old 01-11-2013, 12:43 PM

Have you checked out www.100daysofrealfood.com? There is lots of information about eating more healthfully as well as meal ideas and resources here: http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/real-food-resources/.
journeymom likes this.

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#73 of 102 Old 01-11-2013, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pek64 View Post

A side note on Cheetos -- their dairy cows are fed the Cheetos that are broken, or otherwise imperfect, before bagging. At least that's what their pamphlet said, 10 or so years ago. Just fyi.
Yes, I went on a potato chip factory tour and they proudly talked about how they donated all the chips swept up from the floor or otherwise unsellable and gave them to local farms for cow feed. They told us how much and how quickly the cows gained weight from this... I guess I should reprioritize buying grass fed beef!

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#74 of 102 Old 01-11-2013, 03:51 PM

Double post

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#75 of 102 Old 01-11-2013, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I didn't say it like, 'well, you need to get active'.  I simply said, "Now that I've finished school I have more time to take you to things, would you be interested in taking karate or tennis again like you did in the past?"

Right on.  Well said. 

Sort of off topic: working full time and going to school two nights a week, your daughter is getting a *great* lesson seeing her mom prioritize education. You're a good role model. 

Forget dieting and exercising.  NO ONE likes going on a diet and exercising.  What people like is eating good food and the over all great feeling of being physically fit.  Diet and exercise.  Eat good food and be physically active.  It's a lifestyle for the whole family, regardless of their body type.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#76 of 102 Old 01-11-2013, 04:06 PM

irked.gif

#77 of 102 Old 01-11-2013, 04:10 PM

eyesroll.gif

#78 of 102 Old 01-11-2013, 04:10 PM

upsidedown.gif

Triple post!

#79 of 102 Old 01-11-2013, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by amber3902 View Post

Also, I have to admit I like Chef Boyardee, Cheeze its and Ramen noodles because they all have a long shelf life.  I can buy several and they can sit in the pantry for months without going bad.  Whereas if you don't eat fruits right away they'll go bad and then you've wasted your money.  But I just have to be more on top of it to make sure they don't go bad before they're eaten. 

YES!!!  I can totally relate to this. I work hard to see that my family eats healthy, and this is defiantly one of the challenges. Another challenges for me is that healthier foods tend to take longer to prepare. There are so, so many options that can just be grabbed and heated, but to have a healthy diet with variety, I spend more time peeling, chopping, and cooking.

None the less, it's worth the effort. thumb.gif

What happens if you drink water with a very light, unprocessed meal -- for example, a tossed green salad with grilled chicken (no croutons, tortilla chips, or junky dressings -- just veggies, meat, and oil and vinegar)?  I doubt that its the water that makes you bloated -- I think that the processed foods you eat are messing with you, and that it is more noticeable when you give you body enough water to try to process it.

Does your body show signs of mild dehydration?

Quote:
One of the best indicators of dehydration is the color of your urine, according to MayoClinic.com. Dark yellow urine indicates that your body needs more fluid. Other symptoms of mild or moderate dehydration include a dry mouth, tiredness or fatigue, thirst, dry skin, headache, constipation or dizziness.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#80 of 102 Old 01-12-2013, 08:57 AM
AAK

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks for the additional tips re: water.

I'm looking into programs at the YMCA - most of the programs I've seen stop at age 12. 

At one time she did karate, but it got too expensive for me - it was $95 a month and

I had to stop it.  But I'll keep looking around to see what I can find.

When we were members at the YMCA, they told me that the programs for adults were open to teens also.  You two could pick one to do together.  The best thing about the 'adult' programs is that your membership covers the drop in classes. . . no additional fees.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#81 of 102 Old 01-12-2013, 03:06 PM

I haven't read this whole thread, but have read most of it.  I think the major things you need to do are

1) change the entire family's eating habits to a healthier, more whole-foods diet.  Get rid of all the processed junk and learn to eat whole, simpler foods.  This can be a learning curve, so I would start by making baby steps.  Get rid of cheez-its and eat carrot sticks or fruit instead.  Replace the ramen noodles with a basic recipe you learn to make yourself that you can make in big batches and keep in the freezer for quick meals.  A simple recipe might be something like rice noodles, with cut-up roasted chicken, chopped broccolli and a healthier (ie. no msg or other junk) soy sauce

2) Accept that your daughter will never be as thin as you are..she is a different person and built differently.   Everyone is different and 5'5" and 147 pounds is within the healthy rate range...maybe at the upper end, but still within it.

3) Don't assume that she is going to just keep gaining and gaining until she ends up at like 250 pounds.  A healthy person with a healthy diet and healthy metabolism will not keep gaining weight..their weight will stabilize.  You daughter may continue to gain some, as she may still be growing some..but as long as her diet is healthy and she has some activity and she isn't binging, she isn't going to end up obese or antyhing.

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

#82 of 102 Old 01-12-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Also, I have to admit I like Chef Boyardee, Cheeze its and Ramen noodles because they all have a long shelf life.  I can buy several and they can sit in the pantry for months without going bad.  Whereas if you don't eat fruits right away they'll go bad and then you've wasted your money.  But I just have to be more on top of it to make sure they don't go bad before they're eaten.

And the above are so bad for you! WHY do you think they have such a long shelf life? (Hint: Preservatives, sodium, etc.) Your Marie Calendars meal is not a heck of a lot better. I swear - I do not even buy that stuff in case of an emergency.

Does cooking from scratch take more time? It can. BUT... You can also cook more than one portion at a time and freeze. In other words - build your own stock of "fast food". Just healthier. I often spend a day on the w/e cooking in bulk (used to do it more when the kids were  home). Invest in a crock pot. You can toss a lot of slightly worn veggies into a stew, casserole, sauce, meatloaf. Slightly worn fruit? Make muffins and add them. Then freeze individually. Seriously - almost ANYthing you prep from scratch is going to be better than a load of preservative-laden crap. AND cheaper in the long run.

And I still recommend getting your daughter to cook with you. I cannot tell you how many young women do NOT cook at all. And then they perpetuate the pattern you have with your daughter. (Note for all - get your sons into the kitchen, too! When they grow up, and they find a gal who doesn't cook??? They will thank you for making sure they could. Trust me on this.)

journeymom likes this.
#83 of 102 Old 01-12-2013, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I would toss (or donate) the Cheez-Its, Ramen and Chef Boyardee. They have no nutritional value, so they're all what another poster called "empty calories."

Fruit does go bad sooner, but you can get canned fruit (packed in juice, not syrup) for snacks/meals or frozen fruit for baking and smoothies.

For our kids' snacks, we buy organic yogurt, applesauce cups and string cheese. I try to keep apples and bananas on hand, though they often get eaten within a day of purchase.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#84 of 102 Old 01-15-2013, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

Well, this thread started off on the wrong foot, but I think I've gotten some wonderful suggestions.  I think in the past year or so since I've been working and going to school part time I've gotten into some bad habits.  Thanks for the kudos on working and school, it hasn't been easy being a single mom, working full time and going to school part time, I'm very glad it's over with.  In the past I didn't always eat a bunch of junk, for two years I didn't eat fast food of any kind, it's only been lately with going to school that it got hard to have time for home made, healthy food.  But I'm done with school now, I have my associate's degree and now I have more time to prepare meals and take my girls to physical activities.

I guess you could say we fell off the wagon, so to speak.  I think I was also concerned because I recently saw some of my daughter's cousins on their father's side of the family.  These girls were about my daughter's height and weight a few years ago, and now they are obese.  I'm not talking a few pounds overweight,

I'm talking 150 pounds overweight.  Everyone on her father's side of the family is overweight, and

I started worrying that that was going to be my daughter in a couple of years. 

We have the Wii at home, and the other day I bought the new Just Dance game for my girls.  Me, my D14 and D7 all played it last night and had a great time.

I also used to buy a lot of fruits, like strawberries and grapes, so when I went to the grocery store last night I bought baby carrots, apples, cucumbers, and popcorn.  My girls love cucumber slices with salt and pepper and I'm sure pop corn is better than Cheeze its.  Just a few tweaks to get us back "on the wagon".

*Water update*

I also remembered hearing from somewhere about putting baking soda in your water.  I tried that and it kept me from getting bloated.

So for those of my fellow water challenged friends you may want to try that.  Just a little sprinkle of baking soda in the water helps keep the bloating feeling away.

Thanks for all the encouragement, maybe one day I'll be able to help someone on here in return.

rachelsmama and kathymuggle like this.

#85 of 102 Old 01-15-2013, 08:10 AM

I know what you mean. Some of my dh's many siblings are obese, they're all overweight.  I'd be an idiot not to take that into account when considering my kids' health.

#86 of 102 Old 01-15-2013, 10:47 AM

I've skimmed through all the posts, and only once did I see what I think is the most important question of all:

OP, how does your daughter feel about her size/weight?

If she is comfortable with her weight, that's great! You both could still benefit from healthier eating. If she feels like she is overweight, or headed in that direction and wants to do something about it, you could offer some suggestions.

I have rarely been what I would consider "skinny" (except for one summer out of college, when I couldn't really afford to eat). My Mom struggles with her weight, and I saw her do Weight Watchers and various diets. Over the years I've learned a lot of weight loss tips. One of my sons developed a bit of a spare tire in high school, so we talked about what he could do to reduce it. I don't think he ever weighed himself, but he judged by how his pants fit.

- Portion control is very important. Before taking seconds (or thirds!), I reminded my son to think about whether it was his tummy or his mouth that wanted more food.

- Using a smaller plate makes a small portion look like more food.

- We have never made our kids clean their plates at the table. They often leave a few bites of food on their plates.

- I reminded my son that it took a long time for that extra weight to get there; it was OK if it took just as long for it to go away.

- It's better to eat healthy snacks between meals than to be starving and eat too much at mealtime.

It did take a while, but my son did lose some weight, and kept it off for a year or so - until he started college and lived in a dorm. After just a few weeks he found himself gaining weight, and decided to do something about it. Fortunately he had the tools and knowledge to make changes to his eating habits, and by Christmas he weighed less than he did when school started.

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#87 of 102 Old 01-15-2013, 02:14 PM

It's really interesting how people can weigh the same and be built so differently. My 14 year old daughter is 5'4, weighs 141 and plays basketball- JV and varsity. Her measurements are 35,24, and 36. She recently lost about 8 pounds because SHE wanted to. She is active and eats well. She would get a little tummy on her right around her period, but that was it. However, she wanted to lose wieght. She changed her eating: more protein, fewer simple carbs, started running 2 miles a day when she doesn't have practice or a game. In a month, she dropped the weight hshe wanted.

I have fought my weight my entire life; DH never has. My kids are normal weight for their height, but all know they need to be careful. They will never be the kids who can eat without gaining. (My hubby was until he hit 40. Now he skips ice cream and drops five pounds, LOL)

#88 of 102 Old 01-15-2013, 05:43 PM

Well done, Amber! Switching up some of those snacks and incorporating physical activity into your routine is the way to go. My mantra is "moderation in everything". You CAN have some of those junky snacks, every now and again. As long as it is an occasional treat and the rest of your diet is pretty healthy.

I LOVE Stauffers Mac & Cheese. Just love it. But I cringe at the amount of salt it has. Yes, I know - my homemade is so much better, but... I still love it. So I allow myself to give in maybe once a month. Satisfies that "itch", and I'm good for a while. Give it time, and you all may be able to do the same.

#89 of 102 Old 01-15-2013, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mar123 View Post

It's really interesting how people can weigh the same and be built so differently. 

I agree. My DD 15 has always weighed far more than she looked. Twice her doctor has had her re-weighed because she couldn't believe the numbers. DD looks like a bean pole. However, she's actually on the heavier edge of "normal" for her height. She's got that runner/dancer muscle and extra long legs and arms. Looks light... isn't really.

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
#90 of 102 Old 01-16-2013, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

you know OP you are worried about your dd and here after reading the whole thread i am really 'worried' about your own health if you have been living off of what you have written you were eating.

forget ur dd. forget her fat. 

focus on healthy eating as a family and hanging out physically as a family.

visit the eating side of this website. there are many suggestions of healthy recipes. dd and i are vegetarians and i can cook up a meal in 15 mins plus 10 minutes prep. 

because i am so busy i chop my veggies over the weekend and when i make beans i make a huge amount and then i freeze them.

it helps to have my prep all done. then i have choices of what to throw together to make a meal. 

watch out on the fat for all of you guys. it can get v. addicting. nuts and cheeze are great, but be careful you dont overdoze on them.

take a look at myplates and get a good balanced meal. i really would focus on yourself to get back on healthy eating. i think at this point your health is more important than your dd's - esp. if you have heart issues in your family. 

limit fruit juice and fruit - even fresh fruit. meaning keep an eye on it that you dont eat a whole pineapple. too much sugar. 

i would not drink anything with your meal. either drink a half hour before food or after. i would keep away from even baking soda too. its getting your body used to 'help' that you dont really want now do you. ten years down the line you still dont want to be drinking water with BS do you.

OP let me say this society does not support healthy eating at all. it is VERY VERY difficult eating healthy food. i am surprised you have been able to work out a great program with your dd. most teens have a hard time letting go of junk. 

i struggle with this all the time. it is VERY hard for me to give up junk. i would say 60% of our diet is junk. most cereals i would call junk. even the best ones. the rest of the food others call junk i dont even call food. things like ramen, soda. soda especially. if you have time i would advice you to take a nutrition class in your community college. you will be blown away by discovering how much junk you really eat. 

it is this junk that is spreading all over the world and making people obese. obesity is not just limited to the US any more. it is spreading all over the world. interesting it is esp. spreading in countries which have macdonalds. 

i sympthise with you OP. Wonder Bread from the what was it 20s or 30s started the processed food generation and can you imagine in a 100 years we have forgotten how to eat. what is good nutrition and how to cook. we eat only 10% of variety that our grandparents ate. 

it is tough, tough TOUGH. junk surrounds you everywhere but you have to be proactive and win.

my dd at 10 finally understands good nutrition and can stand up to the kids who tease her about teh food she brings to school. 

i am trying to clean up my own diet and take out the junk out of my diet. it is all so addicting. i've been trying since last month and i havent been able to have one clean day. my dd supports me a lot in this endeavour. but the moment i step out of the house - i fail.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 

Tags
Teens

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page