Daughter is starting to get over weight - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 102 Old 01-16-2013, 06:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Small steps can lead to big changes. Good for you, Amber. There are times in most of our lives when for one reason or another, our eating habits are not where we'd like them to be. Trying to do a little better all the time is a good place be smile.gif
journeymom likes this.

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#92 of 102 Old 01-17-2013, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Meet the person where they are now. Start from where you are now, and make those baby steps.  OP, if you come across great sale on pineapples please don't hesitate to take 2 or 3 home.  If it's replacing Cheez Its or Chef Boy R Dee or Kool Aide, feel free to eat a whole one in one go. 

I guess I'm tripping over the pineapple example because we don't get a lot of pineapples and just a week ago I found pineapples for $1 each. So I got one and the 4 of us devoured it in one shot.  Gosh it was good.  Very satisfying and guilt-free from a mom perspective.lol.gif   Squarely in the 'doing it right' parenting column.  Our thing is ice cream, so for that day our bodies got a big shot of vitamin C and fiber along with the sugar we would have been having anyway.  And no fat.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#93 of 102 Old 01-17-2013, 09:11 AM

Meemee, I'm not sure what's wrong with putting baking soda in your water? I mean, to me that sounds fairly unappetizing, but if the OP likes it and is drinking it instead of soda or punch or whatever, that's a big, big win.  She should continue it for the rest of her life, if that's what it takes for her to choose water over sugary drinks. 

And I'm not sure what's wrong with drinking water with your meal. In terms of replacing existing unhealthy habits with new, healthy habits, drinking water with your meal is, again, a big win, if it means you're choosing water over soda, etc, regardless of whether you drink before, during or after a meal.

#94 of 102 Old 01-17-2013, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I would like to add 2 more things to the idea list:

1)  Breakfast in your most important meal of the day. (even if you don't feel hungry - FYI - caffeine suppresses feelings of hunger, so make sure you get a bit of food in before that morning cup)  Have it include protein, carbs and good fats.  This makes a world of difference for those of us who find we crave sweets or caffeine or a nap around 2 or 3 in the afternoon.  Breakfast that includes all 3 (protein, carb, fat) could look like this:

- whole grain toast with nut butter (at least 2 pieces for growing girls!)

- eggs & toast (add meat, nut butters, veggies to make it even better)

- baked oatmeal  http://kellythekitchenkop.com/2009/03/healthy-breakfast-recipe-from-sue-baked-soaked-oatmeal.html

- hot cereal WITH whole milk yogurt, nuts, dried or fresh fruit, butter or coconut oil, whole milk etc.

- french toast (1 egg for every 2 pieces of bread and a spash of milk, butter or coconut oil, maple syrup)

- sourdough pancakes with eggs or meat (these cook super-fast)

- baked ham and eggs (put slice of ham in muffin tin, crack and egg on top of ham, bake at 350 for 15 minutes) can add cheese and veggies

2)  Aversion to drinking water and feeling yucky after drinking water and no tolerance of cold water is often a sign that one has low stomach acid.  People with low stomach acid cannot digest food well and often find themselves taking baking soda or eating TUMS like it's candy and avoiding drinking with meals.  Acidifying your water with 1 Tablespoon lemon, lime or apple cider vinegar and see how that feels.  Here is a page that talks about low stomach acid.  I am not promoting this website, just using the page so I don't have to type so much!  http://balancedbites.com/2012/01/why-you-want-more-stomach-acid-not-less.html

I love that you are now having a bit more time with your kiddos . . . being a single parent is one of the hardest jobs I can think of.  May you have all the support that you need to enjoy your lovely children.  They grow so fast!!

#95 of 102 Old 01-17-2013, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post

I guess I'm tripping over the pineapple example because we don't get a lot of pineapples and just a week ago I found pineapples for $1 each.

If someone is diabetic, sure, they are going to avoid fruit. Otherwise, fruit is a great snack. My family could and do easily polish off a good pineapple in a day! Our favorite Disneyland snack is their pineapple spears.... better than an ice cream bar in taste and nutrition.

We're vegetarians with kids who aren't that crazy about vegetables. At 12 and 15, they eat any veggie put in front of them but when they were younger, we relied heavily on fruits. Fruits offer a lot of the same nutrients as vegetables in a package that kids will readily accept. It satisfies the sweet tooth without refined sugars. It's filling without being high calorie. Mine eat at least 2 whole fruits a day and I have no issue with it at all. It's not the same as drinking gallons of juice. Fresh fruit is fantastic!

I'll be honest, I find the idea of a life never eating cheez-its totally depressing. My kids eat some sort of cracker/pretzel/popcorn/granola daily. It's all about moderation. These things are a treat and you just have to be careful not to over-treat yourself. As Americans, obesity is a problem but it's not just food... it's activity. Increased activity will do more for kids than restricting their diets.

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
#96 of 102 Old 01-17-2013, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post

Meemee, I'm not sure what's wrong with putting baking soda in your water? I mean, to me that sounds fairly unappetizing, but if the OP likes it and is drinking it instead of soda or punch or whatever, that's a big, big win.  She should continue it for the rest of her life, if that's what it takes for her to choose water over sugary drinks. 

And I'm not sure what's wrong with drinking water with your meal. In terms of replacing existing unhealthy habits with new, healthy habits, drinking water with your meal is, again, a big win, if it means you're choosing water over soda, etc, regardless of whether you drink before, during or after a meal.

baking soda in water is 'medicine'. its actually a cultural remedy in many countries to take away bloating. why treat the symptom? why not experiment with taking the symptom away and get to teh root. why the bloating? does OP have some health issues that she is not aware of? or is she sensitive to some foods and her diet is causing this bloating?

as OrmEmbar pointed out its about stomach acids. some people have stomach acid issues. so you dont want to drink water and futhur dilute the stomach acids. so usually i never drink anything with my meals (its actually discouraged in many cultures) but i do drink my 8 glasses as they keep my longing for junk and snacking down. if i drink my regular water i am not that hungry. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#97 of 102 Old 01-17-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
i do drink my 8 glasses as they keep my longing for junk and snacking down. if i drink my regular water i am not that hungry.

Great point.  This is really helpful with portion control.  That's interesting about acid/pH in the stomach.

Quote:
These things are a treat and you just have to be careful not to over-treat yourself.

Yes! And know the difference between treats and snacks.  But yes, this would be a sad world without Cheez Its. I love them!

#98 of 102 Old 01-18-2013, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

OrmEmbar – I do suspect that I have low stomach acid.  Several years ago my doctor prescribed me Nexium for acid reflux, however, I learned that acid reflux medications can actually weaken your stomach’s ability to produce acid.  You do need SOME acid in order to properly digest your food.

I began to suspect that my stomach acid was being weaken so much that it was affecting my digestion so I stopped taking it.  It’s been years since I stopped taking Nexium, but I think the damage has been done to my stomach, what with the bloating, indigestion and occasional constipation I suffer from.

That’s a good idea about the apple cider vinegar, I used to drink it on a regular basis and got out of the habit, just another thing I have to pick back up again. 

I agree that I need to get to the root cause of why I'm so bloated, but maybe it is just a case of low stomach acid.

Divorced mother of two DD15 and DD7
#99 of 102 Old 01-18-2013, 09:14 AM

be very careful about ACV - any vinegar actually. it can go the other way. just coz you have low stomach acid does not mean you will constantly have it.  

i have been able to control my acid issues with food. here is a link to help you figure out if you want to http://www.angelfire.com/az/sthurston/acid_alkaline_foods_list.html

it is very fascinating to me how my body talks. there are times when meat, oranges and lemons would be revolting to me (i love love love tangerines and have been known to eat a whole 5 pound bag in one day). and if i went against my wishes and ate them i would have such trouble for the next few hours. mind you though they help with stomach acid. 

here is what low stomach acid is. hypochlorhydria. here's the link to the extract below. http://drmanlove.com/diet-and-nutrition-articles/low-stomach-acid.html there is tonnes more info about other stuff on this page. 

Because hypochlorhydria (low stomach acid) is so common and yet leads to terrible degenerative diseases such as cancer, congestive heart failure, osteoporosis and even Alzheimer's, patients as well as doctors need to become aware of its causes and symptoms and how to respond to them. I believe by working together in community we can apply healing helpful principles to ourselves, to others and the land. Your journal encourages us to do just that.

When my doctor told me to take antacids 21 years ago, he diagnosed hypoglycemia and hypothyroidism. Since writing the aforementioned letter, I've learned that these are caused by hypochlorhydria; let me explain why. We need a healthy level of hydrochloric acid (HCI) to stimulate digestive action in the small intestine, to break down fiber, to provide enzyme activity for nutrient absorption, and to assimilate minerals. Herein lies the electrical and manufacturing potential of our entire body. Non-absorbable, cooked or heated minerals become absorbable liquid crystalloid electrolytes, and organic minerals from raw foods are made more available and their electrical quality is maintained via healthy gastric activity. The body needs most of its minerals to be 'ionic' (electrically charged) and in solution. With low stomach acid there are fewer and fewer electrolytes in the body, and even these can lose their ionic quality and go out of solution-to form troublesome deposits. Liquid crystalloid electrolytes give us the correct alkali and acid balance (pH) needed before almost any chemical activity can occur. When the pH of the stomach is chronically 'off' (from low gastric activity -- hypochlorhydria), the pH won't be correct anywhere else in the body.

Not one enzyme, can be produced without the assistance of liquid. crystalloid electrolytes. All hormones, vitamins, proteins, amino acids, carbohydrates, fats, sugars, oils, etc. require electrolytes and enzymes to be properly metabolized. Even a slight deficiency of electrolyte minerals has a progressive effect (in hypochlorhydria) on our assimilation of all nutrients and every bodily process suffers. [1, 2]

i am not trying to freak you out here. just information.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#100 of 102 Old 01-18-2013, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for those links.

No, you didn't freak me out.  I think the key is finding a balance, like most things in life.

Divorced mother of two DD15 and DD7
#101 of 102 Old 01-18-2013, 03:31 PM

yup you are right. balance is the key.

however balance before 40 and after 40 are two different things. esp. with food. you can get away a lot before 40 but after 40 plus menopause - woah very unforgiving. 

the sad part that i am discovering around friends whose parents have heart disease and who are getting their first heart attacks around 35/40 changing their diet in their 20s is still too late enough to avoid heart attacks but not late enough to avoid open heart surgery. 

which freaks me out as a mom since it is becoming more and more apparent that under 20 or so are the building years when you need to have a good diet. after that you can cheat a bit. its interesting to see the difference in my friends groups. immigrants from asia who grew up on a good diet and then ate terrible stuff - seemed to do better than my non immigrant friends who ate horrible stuff (which was the norm then) and then cleaned up their diet in their late 20s or early 30s. mind you though this is just a small group of people in my universe - but the results scare me. 

though its not all about nutrition either. there is so much more that we dont even talk about. stress and stress control for instance. friends and community. 

#102 of 102 Old 01-19-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsnextmom View Post

I agree. My DD 15 has always weighed far more than she looked. Twice her doctor has had her re-weighed because she couldn't believe the numbers. DD looks like a bean pole. However, she's actually on the heavier edge of "normal" for her height. She's got that runner/dancer muscle and extra long legs and arms. Looks light... isn't really.

For our athletic kids, it's important to remember that heavy doesn't mean fat. As we all know, muscle weighs more than fat does, so a muscular kid can be heavy, but should not be trying to lose weight.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  

Tags
Teens

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page