Where are the Age Appropriate Dresses? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 02-06-2013, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So my daughter is 14 years old, and 5'5" tall.  She wears a 1X in juniors.

Every summer my dad takes my two girls for a couple of weeks.  He attends church several times a week.  The past couple of years have become a problem for me.  I'm having a hard time finding my D14  age appropriate dresses in her size that she can wear to church.

I used to be able to find stuff for her at Justice, but she's too big for them now.

I look in the junior's departments at JcPenny's or Kohl's for dresses. They are all either strapless or show way too much skin.  And they are ALL too short, I'd like something that isn't WAAAAYYY up past the knees, thank you.

I look in the women's department, but all the dresses there would make her look like a grandma and I know she would not enjoy wearing them.  I want her to look 14, not 64, LOL!

It's like department stores seem to think that teenagers only go to prom, and that there's never a need for them to wear a modest nice looking dress.

So WHERE can I find a dress for a teen that doesn't make her look like an old lady OR like a slut?

Help!

Divorced mother of two DD15 and DD7
#2 of 12 Old 02-06-2013, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Forever 21 has a lot of selection that range from sorta trampy to very simple, classic and vintage looking. Most are short but can be paired with leggings for a more modest look. They have some longer styles too. They also size ranges from girl, teen to plus sizes.  

Macy's can be pricey but they have some nice dresses that teens would like in their women's department (the teen department tend to be the shorter or prom style dresses.) 

It is hard to find skirt length in dresses right now. 

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
#3 of 12 Old 02-06-2013, 10:06 AM

My 15 year old DD has some nice and appropriate dresses from Anthropologie but they are pricey.

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

Certified, card carrying member of the IEP Binder Clubkid.gif  

#4 of 12 Old 02-06-2013, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I know exactly what you mean amber.  It is nearly impossible to find appropriate dresses for teens these days.  I can't believe parents are buying this stuff for their girls (and they must be buying it, otherwise the stores wouldn't stock it).  

I like modcloth (online store).  HUGE selection of dresses, appropriate for teens (imo), VERY cute stuff.  Price range is anywhere from $50 - $200.  

I also second anthropologie, but it is definitely pricey.  

I've also had good luck at second hand stores.

#5 of 12 Old 02-06-2013, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

I just checked out Modcloth and Anthropologie's websites.  Both have very cute dresses, but very expensive.

They do have stuff on clearance though, so I'll have my D14 take a look to see if there's anything she likes. 

And I don't mind paying a little bit more if the clothes are going to last. 

I have a couple of shirts I bought from New York and Co that are over ten years old, they have not shrunk and the color has not faded. 

Does the clothing from these stores appear to be good quality?

Thanks!

#6 of 12 Old 02-06-2013, 11:01 AM

Modcloth is another one that my DD shops from. Those items seem to hold up better than Anthropologie. We have had to tailor a couple of dresses (too big) that came from Modcloth which adds to the expense.

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

Certified, card carrying member of the IEP Binder Clubkid.gif  

#7 of 12 Old 02-06-2013, 12:49 PM

Mod cloth is great but runs small... If your DD truly is a 1X, I don't think their version of XL will work. DD is a 2-4 and wears an XS or S in every other brand except them... she wears a medium in ModCloth. DP is a 10-12 and wears a ModCloth XL, FYI. My plus size friends swear by the Torrid website, better selection than the store and EVERYTHING comes in at least 1X. Forever 21 also has a great plus size line online, but they can also be pretty scandalous... I've made DD return things at Forever 21 that were only appropriate for adult women to wear "in the club" (My mom actually calls Forever 21 "Forever Ho")

(gender)queer vegetarian artist co-parenting DDs 14 & 11 with DP and TTC  little peanut #3 3rdtri.gif

#8 of 12 Old 02-06-2013, 12:53 PM

Oh and about quality, ModCloth and Anthropologie seem to be comparable in quality, it just kind of depends on the fabric. Obviously a cotton jersey dress won't hold up as well as broadcloth, etc. Anthropologie is a ripoff if you ask me, Urban Outfitters carries similar items slightly cheaper and has better sales. Have you tried eBay? We have found a lot of cute designer clothes for DD there, she loves Levi's but hates paying $60 new so we've gotten pretty good at deal hunting on eBay and thrift stores.
StillForest likes this.

(gender)queer vegetarian artist co-parenting DDs 14 & 11 with DP and TTC  little peanut #3 3rdtri.gif

#9 of 12 Old 02-06-2013, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm not sure what dress size DD would be.  According to JcP she should be a 18, but according to the size chart on Torrid she's a 14/16. 

I guess Mod Cloth may not work for her, but I think there's some stuff on the Torrid website she may like, thanks!

And good idea to check out ebay.  I'll check them out too.  Thanks.

#10 of 12 Old 02-08-2013, 09:12 AM

I am a huge fan of Lands End.  She's probably outgrown the girls section but the women's should work for her size.  Basic knit dresses -- hard to go wrong I think.  And I know that my plus-sized niece really loves Torrid, though she and I both hate the name and its implications.

#11 of 12 Old 02-08-2013, 09:56 AM

My 15 year old dd has some cute, appropriate dresses from Old Navy and Target. Both stores have big plus-size selections. They are mostly knit and won't wear as well as the pricier stuff, but teens being teens, they might not be worn for as long either before she decides they're out of style.

#12 of 12 Old 02-08-2013, 05:08 PM

She could also wear a skirt with a top. If the top is sleeveless, you could get a sweater/cover-up for her to wear to Church.

Tags
Teens , Pre Teens

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page