Help with my son's grade 8 science fair project? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 03-07-2013, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It's been a very long time since I have been around here (my AP "babies" are 10 and almost 14!) but I thought this might be just the place to ask this question:

For his science project, my son was hoping to show that children respond better to unconditional love and encouragement than to the threat of punishment by withholding reward. His sample was 2 groups of grade one students, 5 in each group. He had them take a quiz consisting of a few math and language questions.

To group 1 he said:

I am so happy you are helping me with my project, I know you are going to do really well on this test. When you are done the quiz I am going to give you a lolipop.

To group 2 he said:

Thanks for participating. If you do well on the quiz you will earn the lolipop as a reward but if you don't do well you will not get a lolipop.

To both groups he asked the children:

How difficult did you find the quiz today? Would you say it was:

a)really difficult b) sort of difficult C) kind of easy d) really easy

BTW, When he was all done the experiment he gave the kids who did not "earn" the lolipop (2) one anyway just to avoid tears or hurt feelings.

What he would like to know is if his experiment can be "defined" in psychological terms. Could anyone suggest a title for it?

Thanks for your help,

C

#2 of 2 Old 05-11-2013, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)

What did your title end up being?

Tags
Teens , Pre Teens

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page