to get involved or not - minor school issue between siblings - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-23-2013, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)

My 2 older kids are in high school and had course selection lately.

I know that both my kids signed up for the same course.  Neither of them know the other signed up for the course.

I doubt my eldest will mind (it might bug him a bit, but nothing much).  My younger one will flip - she has a rep to maintain eyesroll.gif (lol) and being in the same class as her geeky older brother is not going to cut it.

So - do I say something or let them find out next fall? Is it lazy of me that I don't want to deal with the drama of my younger one insisting her brother drop the course?  Or  dropping the course herself because *I* am not making her brother drop the class - and therefore taking his side?

In a dream world I would like it if my daughter did not allow her family members being in the same space as her affect her decisions or happiness, but maybe that is too much to expect of my 14 year old.  

Parenting…not for wimps.  

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#2 of 9 Old 03-23-2013, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Usually the older students, the ones closer to graduating .. get their first pick of classes. The younger student may "lose" the class anyway if too many older kids picked this class as well.

Or, the class could be so popular that its offered several times a day. Then, they could take the same course but a different class period from each other.

If you are seriously losing sleep, speak to one of the school counselors or vice-principals. it's their job to finesse things like this.
#3 of 9 Old 03-23-2013, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 2 found themselves in the same PE class last year.  The younger was a sophmore - he is popular, athletic, a clotheshorse, seems to be good at everything he tries; the eldest was a senior, nerdy, shy, not an athletic bone in her body.  I would not let either of them drop, it was good for them.  And it's obvious they are siblings even in a school of 1600 - even if they didn't have the same last name (they do) they both have bright red hair.  I know PE is not the same as an academic class but....

#4 of 9 Old 03-24-2013, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 34me View Post

My 2 found themselves in the same PE class last year.  The younger was a sophmore - he is popular, athletic, a clotheshorse, seems to be good at everything he tries; the eldest was a senior, nerdy, shy, not an athletic bone in her body.  I would not let either of them drop, it was good for them.  And it's obvious they are siblings even in a school of 1600 - even if they didn't have the same last name (they do) they both have bright red hair.  I know PE is not the same as an academic class but....

It is a gym class, lol.

It is outdoor ed class and I suspect strongly only one will be offered next year.  It sounds like a cool class, actually, which is probably why they were both drawn to it.  

The school is small - maybe 600.  Everyone knows they are siblings although I do think my younger one likes to pretend people haven't figured it out.  

Philomom - I am not losing sleep - but if it does start to bug me or if it comes to a head next fall, I will involve  to the school counsellor.  Good tip!  

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#5 of 9 Old 03-25-2013, 03:55 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

Parenting…not for wimps.  

So true!  ROTFLMAO.gif

Sorry, no real advice - I can see the merit in both telling and not telling them. I hope it all works out in the end! 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#6 of 9 Old 03-25-2013, 06:03 AM

Hopefully, they will surprise you and it won't be a big deal between them. 

I don't have any advice about whether to alert them now or not. It seems to me that one benefit of letting them know now is that they can reach some agreement early. You might help them solve the problem. If you leave it to the fall, it might be a bigger crisis because it might be tough to find any alternative courses. At DD's high school, the pickings are very slim in September if students try to change courses.  

You don't have to solve their problems but you might be able to offer a few suggestions on how to resolve them.  

Is it the course or the credit that they want?

If it's the course, i.e., they want to gain the actual knowledge and experience, then there are a lot of summer programs, like Outward Bound, that might offer a similar course. I might do a little preliminary investigation to find out what's available near you. If it devolves into a huge headache, one solution is for one kid to take the course at school and the other to take a similar course during the summer. 

If it's the credit, then there's probably some other attractive credit options at the school or on-line or elsewhere. Again, maybe investigate alternative options so you have a few suggestions when they start arguing about it.

#7 of 9 Old 03-25-2013, 06:36 AM

LOL 600 is not really a "small" school.

I would leave it be. And if one of them HAS to drop? It should be the little one. Though perhaps she needs her "rep" adjusted a bit. 

Kirsten likes this.
#8 of 9 Old 03-25-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtiger View Post

LOL 600 is not really a "small" school.

I would leave it be. And if one of them HAS to drop? It should be the little one. Though perhaps she needs her "rep" adjusted a bit. 

LOL.. to me, that would be a tiny school.  My daughter's entire graduating class had 700 seniors in it.  Her elementary school had 1200 kids.  

#9 of 9 Old 03-26-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextcommercial View Post

LOL.. to me, that would be a tiny school.  My daughter's entire graduating class had 700 seniors in it.  Her elementary school had 1200 kids.  

And my daughter's graduating class? 50. My son's BIG school had ~400. 

Tags
Teens

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page