Raising teenage daughters magazines? And Magz for girls where every image isn't anorexic! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-28-2013, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Why is it there are magazines for teen girls and the only content is fashion, who's famous, dating who etc... I see no holistic mags for teenage girls anywhere.  I also have been searching for mags for moms who are raising teenage girls... anything out there????  Anywhere!

#2 of 9 Old 03-29-2013, 09:59 PM

bump!

I would love to know too.

#3 of 9 Old 03-30-2013, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I would imagine there aren't many because the demand for that type of thing isn't there and probably never has been at rates that make a magaxine like that a sensible product to create.

National Geographic is always good whether you are a boy or girl. I always looked forward to getting that and Seventeen.

I was looking this up because my DD likes magazines and Teen Ink looked good because it is written by teens. Discovery Girls is targeted at tweens and young teens and might be good, it looked too immature for my dd's tastes. Susie magazine is a religious one for girls.
#4 of 9 Old 03-31-2013, 06:29 AM

My daughter liked Smithsonian, Discovery and Sports Illustrated...

#5 of 9 Old 04-02-2013, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Magazines are sort of dying anyway. You really don't see teens in our area reading or talking about magazines like they did when I was a teen. When DD was younger, we had a subscription to National Geographic that the kids liked and was good for current event requirements at school. Otherwise, It's more about blogs or tumblrs now with the teens we known. My own DD follows a few specific to her interests (largely BBC shows like Dr. Who and Sherlock.) Obviously, age and safety will determine when you let your kid do that but for my 16-year-old, that's all she really needs. My 12-year-old DS enjoys Scientific America and Popular Mechanics but we only grab them on occasions... usually before plane trips or something like that. 

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
#6 of 9 Old 04-09-2013, 12:08 PM

I have the same question!  I've heard good things about Discovery Girls but have not tried it.  I just ordered a subscription to Oprah hoping that if it is around the house my teen might (might) read it and find some inspiration.

#7 of 9 Old 04-12-2013, 08:01 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

My teens read adult magazines in their interests - Discover, National Geographic, Smithsonian, sewing, cooking and gardening mags, Scientific American, Psychology Today, The Economist, Utne Reader, I don't know what all else. We all love a family trip to a particular newsstand and a magazine shopping spree! Oh! And Mental Floss!

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#8 of 9 Old 04-20-2013, 10:41 PM

New Moon Girls -- awesome positive mag for 8-14 I think

Rookie is a good online one for older teens

#9 of 9 Old 04-23-2013, 12:54 PM

My DD had subscriptions to both New Moon and Discovery Girls through 11, although she was over them by 10.5. At 12, she would rather read Martha Stuart Living than either of those wink1.gif Magazines really are a dying thing, especially with kids and teens. Now, my DD just reads The Onion and Huffington Post online (which I think are a little mature for 12, but she is in middle school so it's unavoidable) but at least she's getting some kind of information about things besides celebrities and who they're cheating with (bleh). Honestly I would rather her read adult publications than what is offered to girls these days. Books are really the way to go.

Tags
Teens

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page