Getting older kids to drink water? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 04-25-2013, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I only keep water and raw milk in the house.  Wait, that's a lie...I keep loose tea to make kombucha and sometimes I will make an extra gallon for the kids which I sweeten with a combination of stevia and xylitol.  Incidentally, xylitol is great for teeth...why not make some green or black tea for your dd with xylitol to sweeten it?  You can start out with half sugar and half xylitol and work your way to using less sugar over a few weeks.

Another great option is water kefir.  My kids like it when I decant it to a swing top bottle and let it get really fizzy and then add fresh squeezed lemon juice and a teeny bit of liquid stevia. 

I know that none of that replaces plain old water, but it's a start to get away from empty-calorie beverages, like store-bought soda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxfire View Post

Thanks for the responses, I am a little confused why so many people keep mentioning this power struggle thing, though. She has become dehydrated enough that she has been to the doctor (twice!) to get IV fluids while she was sick. The doctor said she was very seriously dehydrated both times and could have had organ failure if I didn't take her, so for everyone who seems to think this isn't a real issue, it actually is. For her body weight, not counting what she gets from food, he told me 32 ounces a day is the minimum of what she should be drinking.

I wouldn't buy juice except I also have a two year old who needs to drink juice since its hard to get enough fruit in him otherwise between his stomach capacity and what he can chew. I never buy soda unless there's a party or something, but she is 12 years old. She can figure out how to get soda without my help. Her teeth are very, very poor. She has cavities in permanent teeth that grew in 1-2 years ago, 8 of her baby teeth were capped because she had so many cavities. I have bought a water pik, fancy toothbrushes, make her brush regularly but like the dentist said, she has poor enamel, so there isn't much to be done besides cutting the sugar and juice (there is no sugar besides juice and honey in the house).

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxfire View Post

Yeah, I would, but she will only drink juice, like, 5% diluted (believe me, I have tried). She will, however, drink watered down lemonade, so I have been trying that.

The 2 year old can chew, he just loses patience after the first couple of bites and wants something else instead. Trying to limit his carb/non nutritionally dense intake at home since he lives off of crap at day care (he is even pickier there apparently).

I was going to add that your 2yo ds would be so much better off drinking juce if you fresh squeezed it yourself.  I think you do know that the juice he drinks is in no way equal to eating fruit...which leads me to gently and respectfully say that perhaps there may me some deeper issues going on with textures and whatnot, some sensory issues in both of your kiddos.  Apraxia-type stuff, maybe?  OT evals are really fun for kids and your ds is at the right age for EI, so maybe give it some thought?  Best wishes!

Bring back the old MDC
#32 of 41 Old 04-25-2013, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A little hostile, huh, babymommy2? I am not making any threats here, like I said above she has gotten IV fluids twice. SHE knows the consequences, I'm not sitting here yelling some Adam Sandler-esque mantra about water drinking. Not that your hateful diatribe deserves any response, I do only buy one carton of juice per week. I also buy actual fruit. I have a minor in Nutrition, so I do actually know what I am talking about here, but thanks for your "concern"?
#33 of 41 Old 04-25-2013, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, blessedwithboys, I agree that they both have some sensory issues... DD has outgrown all of them except the taste thing, but she was texturally very picky as well at DS's age, as well as hating being wet and socks and tags on clothes, etc. I am actually an OT myself so I have worked with her on all of this, as well as DS. DD hates any "fake" sugar, I have tried it all...
#34 of 41 Old 04-25-2013, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Honestly, I'd just let her drink juice for now. I understand about the teeth. My son has had serious problems with his teeth. But if you would let her drink juice after water, anyway, juice on it's own is no worse. Especially if she isn't sipping on it all day. Maybe after she is hydrated for an extended period and gets used to feeling good, you can ease into a better beverage choice. Maybe drinking juice with a straw would help minimize it's contact with her teeth. Maybe she would be receptive to rinsing her teeth with water after drinking juice. My son was always more reasonable about following up with something more healthful if he could have what he wanted first, more of a low blood sugar thing than anything else because he's actually great at delayed gratification. So maybe when your ds is dehydrated, she just wants juice and isn't as able to be reasonable. Get her feeling good for a few months and then try easing into other options.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#35 of 41 Old 04-25-2013, 07:11 PM

Maybe some kind of flavoring with xylitol? That's good for her teeth. I can't stand the taste of any artificial sweetener but I like xylitol. I'm wondering if there's something along the lines of Crystal Light but with xylitol. I also like the idea of rinsing her mouth with water after drinking juice, or using a straw. 

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#36 of 41 Old 04-26-2013, 10:30 AM
AAK

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I would buy a set amount of juice for the week (maybe like half what you currently buy) and put it into larger containers so you can dilute it with water.  When it is gone, then water would be the only option left until you go to the store again.  Over time, buy less juice.  At our house, our kids do drink water well, however if juice was around, 2 of them would choose the juice over water.  Therefore, we only buy juice once in a while.  My youngest two love iced tea (we just get the instant non flavored, non sweetened tea).  Granted, there is some caffeine in the tea.  They drink mostly water.  

Amy

BTW we can dilute apple juice so that it is 50% juice and 50% water without any complaints.  My dh didn't even know I did it for a while.  Much more water than that though and it 'doesn't taste like juice' anymore.  

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#37 of 41 Old 04-26-2013, 11:27 AM

What kind of juice do they drink? Some juices are less palatable when diluted, others are fine. Maybe instead of lemonade, buy organic lemon juice and dilute with water. Organic lemon juice is slightly sweet, and needs less, or no, sugar.

Also, the cavities may be the result of an acidic mouth. Getting the proper ph can help that.
#38 of 41 Old 04-26-2013, 04:52 PM

Do you eat soups? A bowl of soup made with chicken broth and veggies - chunks or blended is at least equivalent to one glass of water.

#39 of 41 Old 04-29-2013, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erigeron View Post

Maybe some kind of flavoring with xylitol? That's good for her teeth. I can't stand the taste of any artificial sweetener but I like xylitol. I'm wondering if there's something along the lines of Crystal Light but with xylitol. I also like the idea of rinsing her mouth with water after drinking juice, or using a straw. 

Now Foods makes just this sort of thing!  It's little individual sleeves that are meant to be added to bottled water, but you could certainly dump them into glasses as well.  They only have like three flavors but they are really quite tasty.

Bring back the old MDC
#40 of 41 Old 05-01-2013, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
onyxfire, I sympathize. Although, my kids have never had to have IVs, they have both been told by doctors that they drink too little and sometimes have symptoms due to this - tired, listless, dark rings under eyes, etc. They are the kids who never graduated from an 8oz. sippy cup. Most mornings it is a struggle to get them to drink a small glass of water - think a small, maybe 6 or 8 oz. glass half full. TMI maybe, but after the doc visits I made sure they know their pee should be mostly clear if they are drinking enough so that they can also "measure" for themselves since they are older now (9 and 13). We give them water bottles with a sports top and use straws when we can. Most days DD1 won't bring water to school, but I try; DD2 usually does and drinks at least some of it. I go on and off adding flavor to it - I compromised and buy the Lipton fruit tea flavoring powder to add to it. Totally natural? Nope, but you have to pick your battles. I started buying juice against the advice of the dentist, and they're not too fond of it watered down. I also do the one carton or so per week. We don't buy pop either, but they do like unsweetened, flavored seltzer from a can, cold from the fridge. We also make fridge iced tea - about 5 bags black, green, herbal/fruit tea in a quart jar filled with water. Mix and match - black tea (you can get decaf for the kids) plus raspberry zinger is good. Green tea plus fruit tea is also good. I sometimes sweeten with agave syrup. One kid likes chia drinks - put a large spoon of chia seeds in some water, when it has jelled, fill the rest with tea or juice. May or may not appeal to kids who have texture issues (my other one who has more issues with strong flavors, smells and textures doesn't like this). Good luck!!

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#41 of 41 Old 05-01-2013, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Oh, I thought of another one - slushies. Frozen watermelon is a great base for these in the summer.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

Tags
Pre Teens

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page