How to keep from crying - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-05-2013, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My son is a 5th grader and getting ready to head to middle school next year. He told me that he's getting made fun of a lot for how often he cries. He is a sensitive kid. He has had problems with bullying the last two years. And he and I are worried that crying too often will make him a target. I told him I'd try to brainstorm some ideas to help him keep from crying when he's upset at school.

Anyone have any tips?

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
#2 of 3 Old 05-05-2013, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My brother had this issue and they did bully him for his sensitivity throughout junior high and highschool. It is so hard. He made a couple really good friends who were good to him and just brushed of everyone else. he also joined wrestling and found a lot of confidence and so on there. Its such a hard age and kids can be so mean. :(

#3 of 3 Old 05-06-2013, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter is a different drummer and can be sensitive and reactive. This has made things difficult for her because kids will pick on or be mean to kids that get upset easily. Unfortunately it is "fun" for some kids to get a rise out of others. This website has helped us:

http://bullies2buddies.com/

If you click on the student or parent section, there are links to funny videos and books. The basic idea is to bullyproof your kid by helping them realize they must try their best to not get upset. Social rules at school are like a game and the only way you lose is if you get upset. There are role playing techniques, which may help your son. It will probably take many, many times to play this with him but eventually it will help him deal with these problems in the real world (just by practicing and making it more like second nature). There's also a terrific comic book called "SuperDren" - nerd spelled backwards - that is written for kids.

Good luck!

Tags
Pre Teens

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page