Teens and Family Activities - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-25-2002, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The teen years are in full swing in my house and so is summer....I have teens, toddler and some in between.
Any ideas for family things to do that EVERBODY will enjoy....We do the science center, zoo, hikes.
If you have any fun family projects that everybody will enjoy ..I sure could use them!
I am fearing that they all will be couch potatoes during summer break:
Please bear in mind that we live in Phoenix and you cannot go out side and play during the day ........
#2 of 3 Old 06-12-2002, 07:45 PM

I have a toddler now, and dd's will be 11 and 12 this summer. They get bored sooo easily, and everything we do seems to bore them. We also do parks, Science Center, Zoo. They act like they're getting to "old" for that...It's so hard to get them involved with something, and try to keep tabs on my little one at the same time.

I know they feel pushed aside sometimes, because we have to work everything around ds schedule, and his needs usually need to be met first. I'm going to have my mom babysit ds so the girls and I can go have some fun once in a while. Do something they enjoy, and they can get my undivided attention!

It's the "everyone together" that can be difficult...

What about the Library? I have two avid readers, and our library has a teen book club. When we go to the library everybody gets to pick out there own books/magazines. Last summer we checked out an Ethnic cookbook, and they got to choose some fun new recipes to help make. Everything from Curry to homemade Ice Cream! I also checked out a lot of Family Fun magazines. It's geared for the younger ages, but I found some fun ideas. You might be able to invlove everyone when several different activities.

I've found it helps when my girls invite there friends over too. I find they're more likely to get involved with an activity when they have a friend over. Even if they just "hang out" around the house, at least they aren't as bored. They always like to entertain my little one- and he loves the attention!

I hope this helps you a little. I'm interested in hearing some other ideas too!
#3 of 3 Old 06-13-2002, 01:58 PM

I need ideas too. See my post about my 12 year old godson.

I was thinking that we could go to the library, museums, zoo, beach, biking/rollarblading (that works in the midwest). I was also thinking about cooking/baking projects.

I don't know if my godson would be into it, but how about making photo albums/ scrapbooks with photos that are disorganized and sitting in shoe boxes? I would think that older kids would be into that - esp. if they are photos of themselves. Maybe the little kids can cut and glue and make their own little books with scrap photos.

How about a family geneology project? The older kids could do research and make charts - but I guess that would exclude the younger kids.

I'm clueless. Help!
Thanks
Kathleen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page