When can you offer a child you hardly know a ride home? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 32 Old 06-19-2013, 08:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

It's sad that we have to think about liability and the coach's professionalism when all we want to do is a kind thing for another human being, especially a child.

The only thing I would worry about would be that the parents weren't home and they would come to pick her up from somewhere else, and worry she wasn't where she was supposed to be.

Ds 9 and dd 5
#32 of 32 Old 06-21-2013, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hmmm, at 11 I would be okay if my son came home from practice/games with another team parent, whether I knew them well or not, with the caveat that the teammate of my child was also in the vehicle, as opposed to alone with the adult I didn't really know. 

Although I will say I think if your child isn't old enough for that type of situation - they shouldn't be left at all. I coach U12 soccer so 10 and 11 yo's - I don't appreciate or respect parents who leave their kids and come back at the end of the game/practice. There are issues with injuries and game cancellations, plus suspensions (not that it's happened yet, but a kid who gets carded and kicked out of the game has to actually leave, he can't stay there waiting for a ride). All parents should be staying OR making their own arrangements with a teammate parent they know and feel comfortable with to cover in any of these situations. 

Laurie wahm (virtual paralegal) of 3 wonderful boys (11, 9, 5). 1st by c-section for breech, 2 by VBAC (one miscarriage between child #1 and #2).

Tags
Pre Teens

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page