Menstruation Aids - which one to use - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-12-2013, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

my 10 year old just started menstruating.

our problem is she spends some days at her dad's house.

so we have to think in terms of school and her dad's place.

so my question is what is the best aid to use.

right now she is using sanitary pads.

what other thing is there to use? for a beginner.

i'd rather use a non chemical method. so home made pads.

i would think the diva cup would be too cumbersome as she tries to work it out. 

dont want to do tampons either. 

i myself need advice. what is the best way to go about it . or stay with pads till she gets a little settled. 

i am assuming this question has been answered before but i cant find the thread/s

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#2 of 8 Old 07-13-2013, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I suggest going with a standard pad, either name brand or organic. Tampons and cups are difficult for some adults to manage and just managing the periods is a lot at first. We got the Tween pads at first because my DD was excited about them and had planned on using them for several months before starting. We use kotex because they are most comfortable.
#3 of 8 Old 07-13-2013, 11:44 AM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I definitely agree with pads to start. When she is comfortable with handing her periods, talk with her about alternatives. My DD started at 9, and around 11 was interested in trying tampons. We bought some, I explained how to use them, she tried, and hated it! A couple years later, she tried the diva cup, and she has settled on this. Totally her choice. This is not my issue - totally her call. My role was just to teach her about what alternatives exist.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#4 of 8 Old 07-13-2013, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

I suggest cloth pads because they are so much friendlier to the vulva and vagina than disposable pads and, IME, so much more comfortable. I wish I had known about them when I was your DD's age. Perhaps starting with something like this would be good? 

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#5 of 8 Old 07-14-2013, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

One_Girl that's an important reminder that we should try things again. i am discovering this about dd that just coz she says no once (with anything) doesnt mean its going to be a no all the time. must keep that in mind. 

yeah i think i am going to stay with normal pads right now. i cant imagine her taking care with cloth pads at her dad's. the soaking washing might be too much for her. 

it interesting about tampons. i grew up in a culture where you only used tampons after you had sex (which was after you were married) so tampons might be a future solution.

dd has mild SPD. i am waiting to see how this would affect her. so that will also define our choice. 

thanks mamas. lots to think about. 

its interesting dd started when i finished. in our family we start early and finish early. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#6 of 8 Old 07-14-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post

yeah i think i am going to stay with normal pads right now. i cant imagine her taking care with cloth pads at her dad's. the soaking washing might be too much for her. 

If she's happy with disposable pads, then she should stick with them.

But my daughter and I both use cloth pads, and we don't soak or prewash.  They go in a zippered wetbag until laundry day, then cold rinse, hot wash, double rinse, dryer.  There is some staining but neither of us care, and we choose dark patterned pads to minimize the appearance of staining.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#7 of 8 Old 07-14-2013, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

ah ok. no soaking and prewashing. 

hmmm. could you tell me how many you needed in a week. generally. i am thinking 2 a day, plus one at night for 3 days (with no access to laundry) so she needs a 9 beginners kit? is that too many? 

the thing is dd does not know what normal is. if i had given her cloth pads she would have been ok with it. but she got disposables at the camp where she started, and ended too. 

so i will have to think about this. 

how often do you wash them? like do you do a load every day? coz if they are sitting for two days, wont they smell? how does one avoid that? do you wash them with other laundry or do them in a separate load?

#8 of 8 Old 07-14-2013, 05:51 PM

She needs about as many cloth pads as she needs disposable pads.  For me, that's a lot (way more than three a day for three days).  For other women, it's not as many.  The number and type of pads she will need depends on her flow.

They do get somewhat unpleasant, which is why they live in a zippered waterproof wetbag.  Both my daughter and I have enough pads to last through a typical period, so I launder them when a period is over and done with.  I do wash them separately.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.

Tags
Pre Teens

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page