Preteen - is a cell phone a neccesity? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 110 Old 08-07-2013, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnviroBecca View Post

About schools requiring students to bring their own technology: This is one reason I'm glad to be in an urban public school district that doesn't assume affluence. My child's school provides paper, pencils, glue, folders, all that stuff. (They take donations; because we can afford it, I spend roughly twice what I would spend on equipping my own child, buying large quantities of the supplies I find at the best prices, and donate them.) The school (K-8) has a few classroom sets of iPads, as well as desktop computers. Projects that require using computers are assigned in such a way that students have adequate time to get them done on the school's computers--although of course it's easier if you have the option of working on it at home, too. I am happy to pay property taxes and donate to the school so that all the kids can have what they need for school. I'm concerned by how selfish a lot of aspects of our society are getting, but it particularly bothers me when public schools demand that students provide things at their own expense that not all families are able or willing to provide. (For example, when I was in high school, my journalism teacher assigned us to sell ads for the newspaper during class by driving to the businesses--none of them were within a mile of the school--and completely refused to acknowledge that some students didn't have cars!!) If your kids are in a school that requires every student to own a particular technology, I agree that you're going to have to provide it so your kid can get by in school, but I would question the school policy and try to make sure they at least have a work-around for students in financial need.

I absolutely agree with this.  It's a huge problem when schools assume that all students will have a certain level of electronics.  I want my kid to have a cell phone, but I certainly don't expect that every family sending a kid to his school will have the same means or the same concerns that I do.  If a teacher wants certain equipment to be used for a project or a classroom experience, it should fall on that teacher (or the school more generally) to assure that all the students actually have that equipment.

rachelsmama likes this.
#92 of 110 Old 08-07-2013, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just wanted to say that the 9 y.o. that I mentioned in my first post is now 17 y.o. and has been away for most of the summer. She has been out of touch for most of that time, hiking up mountains, or on safari, or living in a Masai village, and in other places without e-mail or Skype or any convenient form of communication. While I've missed her and wanted to hear the exciting details of her trip, I've been okay with the lack of communication. 

In the meantime, there are high alert terror threats for that part of the world and last night a major international airport burned to the ground in a nearby country, on the anniversary of a major terror attack not too far from where she is.

Let's just say that I would welcome some modern communication technology right now.   

#93 of 110 Old 08-07-2013, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

just wanted to add - the invitation to bring technology to school is a choice - not a demand in ours. due to the lack of enough computers many students feel they dont get enough time for research and thus i guess why the teacher said kids could bring in their own technology if they wished to.

and bleeding heart that my dd is i KNEW from the beginning that dd would share her laptop. no way on earth would she not. i also know the kids in her class. i was willing to take the gamble. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#94 of 110 Old 08-07-2013, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

DD's highschool is in an affluent suburb, but there is still some economic diversity. There is never the assumption of gadgets or technology, and kids are encouraged to use the school library (and computers/internet connection) after school for homework. On the sheet about what graphing calculator kids need for math classes, there was a note at the bottom stating that if you need assistance in getting a graphing calculator, call the PTO because they supply them to kids to ensure that all the students have what they need to be successful.

My DD would never take a laptop or iPad or anything like that to school. For one thing, they don't have lockers so everything that is brought to school is carried all day long. For another thing, stuff gets stolen and broken. The school has 2 computer labs and a set of lap tops for class checkout, and the teachers must coordinator who gets to use what/when.  It might sound like a lot, but there are 2,000 students.

I work in Title 1 elementary and kids at that school really shouldn't bring anything valuable to school with them because we have a lot of problems with thief. A lot of problems. We have a computer lab with enough workstations to accommodate every student in a class. Each class has one hour a week of time in the lab, but there are also open spots that teacher can sign up for. Some teachers use this time really well, some just let the kids play educational games.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#95 of 110 Old 08-07-2013, 09:02 PM

Cell phone radiation is making the news.

In Israel:

Israel: The Connection Between Cell Phones and ADHD

Arutz Sheva (Israeli TV National News), Aug 7, 2013

"In a recently published article, Dr. Gil Yosef Shahar seeks to alert pregnant women to the possible results of exposure to cell phone radiation. The fetus can be affected during pregnancy, and the results not seen until a few years later, in the child’s behavior.

Dr. Shahar presents the conclusions of several studies that have been done throughout the world. His first study is from 2008, and was conducted by researchers at the University of California, where 13,159 children were examined."

In the USA:
New Study that links cell phones to oxidative stress

the lack of testing and...Cell Phone / Cancer Link to be Revisited by FCC:
http://news.discovery.com/tech/gear-and-gadgets/do-cell-phone-safety-standards-need-upgrade-130717.htm

Please contact me with any questions. Dont panic yet.. There is a lot you can do..

Take precautions with your cell phones.  Here is the Austria Medical Association's guidelines

#96 of 110 Old 08-08-2013, 12:51 AM

Thanks for your posts everyone.  My ds got his cell phone around age 13 (2003).   Sounds to me like CURRENT society demands a cell phone for kids!  They'll have to make their own choices as to how much of a slave they are to it later in life because we cannot really control such things.  The best we can do is provide an inspiring example for them to follow.  Rules need to limited, esp. with teens!!  Pick your "MUST DO's" wisely!!  Although, I just took my 12 y/o son out of school to come home and make his bed.  Wow, was he angry.  He thanked me for it 2-3 days later though and it was only unmade once after that until he left the house at 18 yrs.  So, that was nice as it was no longer a real rule.  He just did it.  In fact, he chose the event as his subject for his college entry essay.  (It appeared to be  effective in his applications for college!)

#97 of 110 Old 08-08-2013, 05:08 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

headscratch.gif Really? You feel that sharing your phone with your own child, one time, is such a bother that you can't stand it???

My son is 8 and sometimes gets really into calling his friends, using our home land line. If my partner or I need to make a call or are waiting for a call, we tell him this is not a good time to use the phone and he'll need to wait. No big deal. Rarely comes up. We adults average about 1-2 phone calls per day, usually non-urgent.

A few months ago, my son and his friend were doing a science project together and got into video chatting to show each other what they'd done at home. His friend has her own iPod Touch. I let my son use my iPad. After a while I felt it was necessary to set some limits because he was getting a lot of extra screen-time by hanging out chatting with her after the science talk, because he was sometimes overexcited and running around the house with the iPad which made me nervous about breaking it, and because I wanted to use my iPad some of the time. So we discussed these things and agreed to rules about asking before borrowing it, keeping it in the case, not running, and handing over the iPad within 5 minutes of my asking for it. I never felt any urge to get him his own device to avoid these negotiations.

I'm not talking about an 8 yr old.  I'm talking about an older kid.

#98 of 110 Old 08-08-2013, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

Quote:

headscratch.gif Really? You feel that sharing your phone with your own child, one time, is such a bother that you can't stand it???

My son is 8 and sometimes gets really into calling his friends, using our home land line. If my partner or I need to make a call or are waiting for a call, we tell him this is not a good time to use the phone and he'll need to wait. No big deal. Rarely comes up. We adults average about 1-2 phone calls per day, usually non-urgent.

A few months ago, my son and his friend were doing a science project together and got into video chatting to show each other what they'd done at home. His friend has her own iPod Touch. I let my son use my iPad. After a while I felt it was necessary to set some limits because he was getting a lot of extra screen-time by hanging out chatting with her after the science talk, because he was sometimes overexcited and running around the house with the iPad which made me nervous about breaking it, and because I wanted to use my iPad some of the time. So we discussed these things and agreed to rules about asking before borrowing it, keeping it in the case, not running, and handing over the iPad within 5 minutes of my asking for it. I never felt any urge to get him his own device to avoid these negotiations.

I'm not talking about an 8 yr old.  I'm talking about an older kid.
You said, "the first time your kid is using your phone to call their friends." That happened at 4 with my kid. But okay, you're talking about an older kid. I'm still puzzled about why it's so difficult for you to share.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#99 of 110 Old 08-08-2013, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

i have a days way 11 year old. 

and this discussion has brought up a lot of issues for me. not directly about cell phones but about shared values between my dd and me. 

its been a struggle this past few months trying to figure out how to parent an almost teen (for her age dd is v. mature).

what really HAS been the struggle is the fight between the old world and new world. 

as my dd grows older i realize i am no longer in control. it was so much easier before. now not so much. dd has a voice too. and she needs to be heard. and we both have to try to see from each others point of view.

for instance dd's school gave her a lot of hw (she will start middle school next week). initially i was hesitant of sending dd with the laptop. but then i thought about it and the impact it would have on all our lives. had a talk with dd and then said ok.

since puberty hit dd has become v. forgetful. i was taking a hard stance on that (mostly lecturing her on the shoulds) till i realized i need to give her some strategies instead of just yelling and getting frustrated. she forgets her phone quite often, but she takes care of her laptop even when sharing with friends at school. 

mainly i dont want to seem a tyrant and old fashioned. i remember how my parents placed their stuff on me in the guise of safety and protection. how i had to fight constantly to be heard. its a painful place to be. i certainly dont want that for dd. 

i dont want to judge her today by the society that existed then. yeah i didnt even grow up with cellphones. but dd did and that is very present in her life. i have to accept that sometimes she is going to be on it more than i'd like. but then on the other hand too all the old fashioned things i had present society no longer provides access to. 

so i have to look around at current society and decide what to do. not with basic morals. but with technology mostly. 

mamazee and Linda on the move like this.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#100 of 110 Old 08-08-2013, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by meemee View Post

dd has a voice too. and she needs to be heard. and we both have to try to see from each others point of view.

mainly i dont want to seem a tyrant and old fashioned. i remember how my parents placed their stuff on me in the guise of safety and protection. how i had to fight constantly to be heard. its a painful place to be. i certainly dont want that for dd. 

i dont want to judge her today by the society that existed then. yeah i didnt even grow up with cellphones. but dd did and that is very present in her life. i have to accept that sometimes she is going to be on it more than i'd like. but then on the other hand too all the old fashioned things i had present society no longer provides access to. 

so i have to look around at current society and decide what to do. not with basic morals. but with technology mostly. 

I liked your post. My parents put their crap on me too -- they were convinced that I was an evil sinner and had to be controlled or all hell would break loose. There were very, very controlling and said derogatory things to me when I was really very innocent and naive.  They also lumped so much stuff into the "forbidden" category that I left home without any idea of how to make a moral decision. Since they believed that everything was wrong, all I learned was that they were idiots.

This all blew up in my face. I left home while still in my teens (I HAD to get away from the crazy) and had no moral compass. Part of the reason that I don't forbid much is to help my kids understand the seriousness of certain issues. I'm a former addict. I have a very difference reference point than most parents. I keep really, really short the list of things that are in the same category as addictive drugs.  (I also tell my kids that no decision will "ruin their life."  It might make their life a whole lot harder, but you can always make a different decision.)

So much of the stuff that parents get all worked up over really doesn't matter. At All. And if you feel you are keeping your kids safe by CONTROLLING them, you are really just making life far, far, far more dangerous for them when they get away from you (which is most likely how they will look at it). I believe we need to teach them to make their own choices, help them figure out what possible outcomes are for different choices, and that we can't do that if we don't let them have real control over their lives (within reason for their present maturity).

We talk moral issues into the ground with very solid reasons about why some behaviors are really best to avoid, and some are best to keep at a minimum. I want my kids to leave home capable of making solid decisions that we help them build a life they can be happy with. My goal is not to raise them to make decisions that I will be happy with, but that they will be happy with.

mamazee and rachelsmama like this.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#101 of 110 Old 08-09-2013, 05:19 AM

My kids got cell phones at age 7 but would use it only to talk with whatever parent they weren't with at the time (I'm divorced from their dad).  It was nicer for them to be able to have a direct link to the other parent, when they wouldn't be seeing that parent for days, rather than relying on me and my ex to be constantly calling one another and handing the phone to the kid.  But elder never carried it around until about age 9, and younger DS still doesn't, and and even then DS1 only carries it when out and about.  At home, the phone lives in a corner of a room, charging or otherwise dormant.  It's definitely necessary for my ten year old to be able to do things out and about with his friends unsupervised, as without a phone I simply would not feel comfortable not accompanying him on these events.  My 8 year old uses it sporadically.  He's sort of practicing for when he's older, and mostly keeping it stationed somewhere at home as a surrogate landline, since neither their dad or myself have landlines anymore.

nak.gif Relentless mommy of 2 mancubs, 8 & 10 years old.... and now a little lady (Oct 2013)!      computergeek2.gif   http://relentlessmommy.com   
#102 of 110 Old 08-09-2013, 10:30 AM

Mine have gotten phones at 7/8. This is the age in our house where they start going places alone, venturing off the property for their adventures, walking to stores and friends' houses. It's more of a security net for me rather than for them. I don't require them to treat it like an umbilical cord, always texting or calling me to let me know where they are, but they do know that I appreciate them calling and letting me know if their plans have changed or whose house they're at if it's different than who they set out for.

Right now my oldest two bio kids share a phone between them. Which in reality means the older one has it 90% of the time, and we need to think about getting the second oldest her own since she's making a lot of friends now and going places, doing things, and the two girls' plans often conflict with each other. We're also thinking of getting our older nieces and nephews phones, since they're gradually developing the same freedoms as our kids as they gain more street sense and integrate into the house a little more.

I view phones, as all devices, as tools. How they're used is what makes them good or bad. Simply having one does not make a child anything {spoiled, tech obsessed, materialistic, sex-crazed, ADHD, a brain cancer patient, a social misfit, etc.}. If we see them over-using them or using them for immoral pursuits, such as bullying or sending inappropriate pictures, we'll either take them away or have some more serious talks about it and rules set in place, but I guess I don't see the point in pre-emptive restrictions. I'm not going to treat my kids like they're prone to doing something bad just because they have the ability to do so using a piece of technology, unless I set up all kinds of monitoring features, rules, restrictions and threats.

mamazee likes this.

Peaceful, homeschooling, UC/HBing, select vaxing, breastfeeding, intactivist mama to a bunch of small people.

#103 of 110 Old 08-09-2013, 12:39 PM

A necessity? Absolutely not! 

A convenience ... perhaps. Nice to have for those semi emergency scenarios.

As a portable game system ... absolutely.

The caveat here is that I have never had a cell phone and I have no desire to have one at all (even with the inconvenience of finding a pay phone while out and about) and my husband has whatever the newest one is every few months.  Both of our kids have his cast offs without sim cards ... keeps them entertained while waiting in the car without the constant need to text their friends. If it were just me though they wouldn't have any at all. Marital compromises are difficult.

tireless sewer of teeny little clothes for Bamboletta dolls ...

#104 of 110 Old 08-09-2013, 05:25 PM

Well, actually, I believe that a cell phone IS a necessity to my youngest. She works at a farm (and has for several years), where there are times she is the only one there, and there is no landline. Then, too, she drives 6 hours to college, through some pretty remote areas. Just this summer, her car caught on fire. Darned tootin' I was glad I was paying for that cell phone so that she could (a) call 911, (b) call AAA, and (c) call me. 

Maybe not for an 8 yo. But for an older kid, with the above circumstances? Yeah, it really is. IMO.

#105 of 110 Old 08-17-2013, 05:58 PM

This is interesting. We do not give our kids cell phones. One is now 19 and is on his own now. He did just fine without one. One is 15 and does fine also. We just have not seen the need. I do not really care what other people do with their kids though. To each his own. I just know that we have not seen them as necessary. We have lived both in the suburbs and downtown. Our kids have tried public, private, and home schools. For what it is worth. Follow your gut instinct and it usually works out. Good luck.
#106 of 110 Old 08-19-2013, 12:38 PM

I think its down to circumstances. I think most parents are pretty responsible. Most of us probably wish it was like when we were growing up, where there were lots of payphones. 

My reality is that, living in a relatively safe city, I have a choice. I can let my older kids-nearly 10 and 8-have more freedom, and have a phone, or less freedom and have no phone. We've opted for the former. My 9 year old has a reasonable amount of freedom, provided he has his phone with him. He can go out when and, largely where, he wants. He's been incredibly responsible with it. For him it represents pure freedom. My 8 year old has just started going out and about alone and for her the phone provides not just a way to contact her but backup and security in case she doesn't know what to do-like if the shop is out of raisins, is it ok to bring mixed fruit? Daft as it might sound that is helpful to her.

Of course a separate issue exists around phone usage. But I don't see any reason why a preteen could not learn, just as an adult needs to (in some cases, REALLY needs to) that texting while there is a live person present is basically rude, as is answering a phone and chatting for ages when you have a guest, etc etc.

TBH though it seems like a bit of a straw man. I don't really see the issue. I pay $60 a year for my kids phone usage, and that gives them a lot of freedom. No way could they have the level of freedom they do in our particular city without a way to contact me. I do have some qualms about talking on the phone for long periods esp for kids, but for that reason I insist they mainly text, and they are on a mainly text-only plan. Their actual phones are obviously cheap, secondhand.

Raising Geek_Generation_2.0 :LET ds= 10 ; LET dd1= ds - 2; LET dd2=dd-2; IF month=0.67 THEN LET ds = ds+1; 
#107 of 110 Old 08-19-2013, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We did end up getting her one. She might be by herself after school sometimes, and we don't have a land line. No one should be home alone without the ability to make phone calls. And we have some carpool transportation issues for some things and I want to know that if someone flakes out, she can call me.
#108 of 110 Old 08-21-2013, 01:57 AM

Just recently we've been talking about getting a phone for my 10 year old. Her birthday is in September so we will probably get her one then.
#109 of 110 Old 09-05-2013, 12:33 PM

Our older girls got phones in their early to mid teens. My husband saw it as an "electronic leash" so that they could reach us and we could check on them. There were one too many times of "There was no pay phone there!" or someone getting stuck somewhere and having to borrow a phone.

Our youngest got her phone at 11 when I returned to work outside the home. Before this I saw clients in my home or in the evenings and weekends. When I joined an agency and was going to be sent on 55 mile round trips to see clients, I needed her to be able to get hold of us if need be and to call me when she got home from school on the occasion that I was running late. I think it was a good decision. She doesn't use it much, she's not much of a talker. She occasionally sends and receives texts, but we have rules about not using phone during meals and late at night or during home work. Her school allows phones, but they must be silenced and put away during school hours.

There has been more than one time when our plans changed and our children having phones, even as pre-teens was very helpful. I work erratic hours, and sometimes a consultation may run over time. She has a key, but I like to let her know if I won't be there when she gets home. I make every effort to be home when she gets home from school, but with Tollways the way they are, I can't always do that.

She also bought her own iPod that receives internet and email. She is usually responsible with it, but at the end of last school year we were having a problem with home work being left undone, so I limited her internet access and she continued to use the iPod. I had to made the difficult decision to take the iPod until the school year was over (about a month) but we did leave her her phone as she still needed to get hold of her parents, sisters and other family members.

Attachment Parenting: The radical notion that children are human. bfinfant.gif
#110 of 110 Old 09-06-2013, 02:17 AM

Aso there is a free app called Find My Friends, which allows you to know where your kids are at all times.  It's especially helpful with younger kids.

Tags
Pre Teens , Lion Cell Phone , Cell Phones

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page